So far so good :)

Do I laugh, cry, or run off screaming into the sunset? We had visitors today, who very kindly gave me a late birthday present. What was the present? A tin of chocolate biscuits. Do you ever feel the world is against you? lol

I've lost 5lbs this week. I couldn't be more happier. :) Christmas has been neutralised! :) Now all the celebrations are over, and more importantly all the festive food has gone, it is going to be much easier to stay focused.

Last edited:
That's a brilliant result at this stage Alison!! Check you out! Somehow I've managed to lose another couple of pounds this morning too. I can only hope that we both manage to keep the downward trend for a while yet.

Keep going.........

Thanks Kev, and congratulations on your loss. :) I am pleased, and relieved, to have come out of the Christmas period with no real damage done. After more time off plan than I had planned for I'm seeing it as more like a first week again rather than a real loss if you know what I mean.

I'll keep going if you do. ;) First one to give up is a chicken :p

I'm a bit of a spreadsheet junkie. I've just started a new one for 2015 and while playing around with it I found if I managed to lose half a stone a month then next Christmas I would have a healthy BMI. After struggling with my weight for the whole of my life I find that thought absolutely mind blowing. I instantly dismissed it as an impossibility but then had a rethink. It is ambitious but not too ridiculous. So I now have two spreadsheets. One for the whole year, and one for the month with the aim of being 16st 0lb by Feb 1st. :D

Must admit I'm a bit of a sucker for a good spreadsheet too Alison! Nice to see the progress all laid out in front of you. I've been using a weight tracker app for my iPhone which is quite good. I don't suppose it would allow the forward planning though. Mind you, I've not checked. Maybe I'm underutilising it. That's a good goal you've given yourself though. I hope you achieve it.

For myself, I tend to ignore BMI. Don't believe in it at all. Although I'll be the first to admit I'm overweight I'll never be aiming for what the BMI tells me is a heathy weight. If have to lose another 6 stone and with my body shape the way it is, I just don't think it'll be possible. I'd look ill I reckon! It does work for some people but those are the people closest to this hypothetical average which some mathematician worked out way back when. For example, I used to do a lot of weight training and put on weight and bulked up during that. BMI however, doesn't take in to account the lean muscle mass on a body. This means that all your Olympic sprinters will be in the'overweight' category even though they have no fat on them at all.

Sorry, nothing more guaranteed to get me to rant than BMI. I've fallen afowl of it in the past with medical a for my work and have many a discussion with the doctors. I'll take some deep breaths. Lol.

Keep breathing Kev! I can't say as I'm a huge fan of it either. For me to be at the upper end of 'healthy' I think I'd look like an emancipated stick, but then is that because my perception of 'normal' is out of whack? Probably. I think it would be an impossibility to me to get there, but then if I don't think I can do it I'm defeated before I even begin. I don't know. <sigh> I have managed to get down to around BMI 28 before and been almost universally told I've gone too far and lost too much weight, but having been used to seeing me with a BMI of forty plus is that just down to people's perception of me? Again, probably. I think I'll just keep plodding along and see where I end up, and in the meantime enjoy watching the BMI number drop as much as I do the pounds, kilos, inches and centimetres (no matter how little I drop one week, something among that lot goes down lol). :)

I've lost 2lbs this week. :) I'm pleased with that. Three would have been nice, but two is better than one and all that. I've now lost a stone on this diet, which after stagnating for so long when just calorie counting I'm chuffed to bits about. Onwards and downwards! :)

Thanks April. :)

Thanks Ginger. :)

I had internet problems yesterday so couldn't update. :( Not that there is much to report as I STS. I'm not surprised though as I've been working a lot this week and I struggle to stay on plan when I work. To be honest I'm more relieved that I didn't put anything on than down that I didn't lose anything. Never mind, on to next week. :)

An STS when you're having trouble sticking to plan is good Alison. I need to check myself and get back on plan too. We've come too far now. Onwards and downwards.

Kev X

Well I've had an absolutely rubbish week this week. :( I totally fell off the wagon mid week but gave myself a talking to and got back on over the weekend, consequently I put on a pound. :( A whole pound. Sob. Still, it's my own fault, and to be honest it could have been a whole lot worse. As I always try to find something positive in things I am seeing this as a bit of a kick up the behind to get my act together and stick at it.

I got stuck for a while at around 17st 4lbs and I seem to be doing the same again at 16st 4lbs. Heaven knows what's going on in my head because I'd love to drop down in the 15's. I'm a bit the same over clothes. I've been trying some on that had been too small for me, and now they fit great - which is fantastic of course - but even though my old clothes are now too big for me it actually feels scary to go into a shop and buy the smaller size. It's like I feel I don't have the right to do so. Crazy and utterly ridiculous but I can't shake the feeling off.

So, back to sticking strictly to plan this week and hopefully I will soon be in the 15's. :)

I'm just wondering Alison if we need a fail every now and again to remind us to stick to it. I've also had a gain this week due to complacency and cockiness. It's given me a kick up the bum too. That'll be me strict again for a while now. I guess we just have to look at the overall trend in order to be proud of what we've achieved so far. The bad weeks just keep us on the right path. Onwards and downwards!

Kev X

Spot on Kev.

I've had a mixed week. I've had days when I was able to stay on plan and then yesterday I had one of those days when life got on top of me and I reacted by eating anything and everything - and I didn't care. :( I'm having a much better day today and I'm back on plan, but oh dear, what an idiot. :( I knew that eating wouldn't change anything, or solve anything, and I knew I'd feel rubbish afterwards but at that moment in time it made me feel good. Thankfully I don't do that very often, and I very nearly didn't weigh myself today but made myself get on the scales if only to try to stop me from burying my head in the sand over what I'd done. To my total surprise I have lost 2lb, but I don't feel like I deserve it if you know what I mean. So, this week I am challenging myself to really go for it and make some real progress. :)

To my relief, given how impossible I had found it to totally stick to plan, I STS this week. I'm still working crazy hours, which as it's at our own small business is great in a financial respect but a disaster for me losing weight. It's a problem I have come up against time and time again. I have never quite figured out how to space my food out when I'm working twelve hour plus shifts through the night, plus I get bored and am constantly looking for something to pick at. So, STS feels really positive right now. I'm really looking forward to work becoming more manageable so I can get back on plan, and also for the weather to warm up so I can get out and exercise more.

I've lost 1lb this week, which as I'm still working crazy hours and finding it hard to stick to plan I am very happy with. :)

STS this week - which considering when I weighed myself last Friday it said +4lb is quite miraculous. :D Obviously the scales were having an off day. lol Seriously though I nearly didn't weigh myself today but made myself do it because to not to do so would be like throwing in the towel and that's the last thing I want. I was shocked at STS as after the +4lb on Friday I hadn't watched what I've eaten all weekend. Maybe it was today the scales were having an off day...

On the bright side work is starting to slow down so hopefully pretty soon I'll be able to get my head back into the game, and even better than that I was having a sort out and some jeans I didn't expect to get into fit me perfectly as does a favourite coat. Yippee! :D

Back