So Frustrated!!

Emmaline

Hippety Hop!
I have been on a 1200 cals diet for yonks. I put it down to 1000 and then to 800 for a few weeks without getting very much in results. Although I lost nearly 2 stone in the first year (2010) my weight plateaud ALL of 2011. I have been able to get hold of some Alli (similar to Orlistat) but even with those it is still only a very small loss. I have only a few tablets left so I guess my weight will go back to being stagnant.
I am disabled ( am making this obvious as it is surprising how many skim read and then give advice on exercise!) I suffer from a combination of spina bifida and arthritis.
Am really so disappointed altho' determined not to give up. I saw a nutrionist at the hospital who actually said to me not to worry about losing any more weight!..how ridiculous is that!. For my height I should weigh 8.5 stone altho' a comfortable weight for me has always been about 10st. Being as I am now 77 I would settle for being 11st so still have over 3st to lose.

What would you do? Where can I go to get more help?
I would gladly pay for anything that could get some more of this flab to shift.
Any suggestions would be most welcome.

Last edited:
Hi, Emmaline. I think most people on here who know about calorie counting would advise that what you're eating isn't enough, especially if you go below 1,200, which is the minimum "safe" level. Your body actually goes into starvation mode and holds onto the weight in self-defence!

I'm disabled myself (ME and arthritis), so do zero exercise. I've lost 5 stone since last August, on calorie counting and Orlistat. I eat 1,600 calories a day, down from 1,800 at the start of my programme, and my weightloss has been nice and steady.

So I suppose that's my advice - eat more! :)

Tracy x

Hi, Emmaline. I think most people on here who know about calorie counting would advise that what you're eating isn't enough, especially if you go below 1,200, which is the minimum "safe" level. Your body actually goes into starvation mode and holds onto the weight in self-defence!

I'm disabled myself (ME and arthritis), so do zero exercise. I've lost 5 stone since last August, on calorie counting and Orlistat. I eat 1,600 calories a day, down from 1,800 at the start of my programme, and my weightloss has been nice and steady.

So I suppose that's my advice - eat more! :)

Tracy x

Thanks Tracy but as I already pointed out, I had been eating 1200 for ages when my weight came to a stand still. I can assure you that if I eat MORE than that I will put the weight ON!!
However, where are you getting your Orlistat from these days?

Emmaline said:
Thanks Tracy but as I already pointed out, I had been eating 1200 for ages when my weight came to a stand still. I can assure you that if I eat MORE than that I will put the weight ON!!
However, where are you getting your Orlistat from these days?

Hiya! Wasn't meaning to be preachy, lol - you'll know best what works for you. I just know so many people on here recommend an increase in calories when you plateau like that. I've answered your Orlistat query on my diary in the Xenical section. xx

I know it does sound crazy (and scary) but you really should try upping your calories. On the information you gave (age, height, sex, weight), I calculated your BMR which is 1450 calories. This is the amount of calories your body needs just to function (as if you were in a coma).

If you eat too few calories for a long period of time, your body will cling onto the fat as it thinks it needs to preserve it because it doesn't know when it is going to get the required amount of calories. You could try eating at least your BMR (1450 calories, although I would recommend you eating a bit more than this to start off, so you can later reduce it) for at least a month. You may still stay the same or you may gain (quite possible) in that time. This period of time is just to let your body know that it is going to get a constant flow of calories. When it is satisfied that it is getting what it wants, it will become more relaxed. You can then reduce your calories down to 1200 and you should start losing again. It is like re-setting your metabolism and giving your body a big shock.

Best of luck :)

Hi I can only reiterate what has been said. I plateaued for 18 months and it was the most disheartening thing ever. Your body is starving. It thinks it's going to get nothing else to eat and is holding into what it's got for dear life.

You could try what a friend of mine was doing . To keep her body on its toes she alternates weeks. So kne week she has 1200 cals, the week after she has 1400 cals. And the difference works for her.

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins

Back