So i bought a bike, anyone using clycling for weight loss?

Paul_Farnham_uk

Hi all,

I have been on Slimming world for about 3 months now and have now lost enough to feel that its time to start exercising more.

So has anyone used cycling as a means to burn fat and get fitter?

If so would you have any reccomendations as to how to start off.

I would appreciate any advice.

Thanks

Paul

I only take my bike out in fair weather, and usually when I'm cycling to the next town over (about 8 miles away) to go for a pint or three ;o) lol Oh, and occasionally to go an extra few miles off road with one of my dogs who possesses no 'off' switch lol

Good on you, should be a good way to get fit. And not just 'lose weight', but to improve the entire cardiovascular system. How you getting on so far?

A good way to start is to decide whether a journey you are about to make could be made by bike instead of car? If the answer is 'yes' then always opt for the bike! I try and always go to the shops on my bike ..... My husband loves it because I can't carry much and therefore spend less!!

I'm thinking of this too! I am running and doing 30D shred but I have a 9 year old daughter so want to do big bike rides with her!

Well i have now got the bike and have spent today getting it all setup and ready to ride so i might pop out for a short ride tonight to see how it goes.

The journey begins - literally lol

You should plan a few different routes, a few flat ones and maybe one with a hill as you get fitter and vary them so you dont get bored. It's always good to do a loop as you won't be tempted to turn around early and go home. I like the idea of going for a pint :)

Ok well i finally got all of our bikes sorted and ready to ride over the weekend and we went out for our first ride yesterday afternoon, we did 2 miles to our sainsburys kinda up and down some small hills and then did a small shop and then headed back home but the last hill upto our estate is a killer so we walked the bikes up that but i have to say i was exhausted when we got to the top of the hill so i assume we burned some reasonable calories not to mention started our journey of fit!

Was toying with going for a short ride tonight but really need to get a more comfy saddle as was in agony at the end of yesterdays ride :( so may leave it till tomorrow.

I've only just started cycling after nearly thirty years of not going near them!( fell off one and broke my arm at 13).
I love it!! Did a twenty mile ride at the weekend and plan on doing a lot more. My bum gets really sore though so I've invested in some padded cycling shorts. They really help too, especially with the off road, bumpy trail bits! :-D

Am gonna get a nice big gel saddle and also some padded shorts too i think

I've only just started cycling after nearly thirty years of not going near them!( fell off one and broke my arm at 13).
I love it!! Did a twenty mile ride at the weekend and plan on doing a lot more. My bum gets really sore though so I've invested in some padded cycling shorts. They really help too, especially with the off road, bumpy trail bits! :-D

Well sportsdirect shops have various ranging from about £15 upto £25 depending on make etc so not terribly expensive tbh

Are gel saddles expensive? Sounds like the kind of thing I'm needing, especially for trail biking!

Went and bought my gel saddle last night plus one for wife and daughter and by the time they were all fitted and setup it was 8pm so short ride around the block before getting the kids to bed :)

Probably only about 1-1.5 miles but better than nothing eh

I'm off to Decathlon tonight to buy my son a new bike so I'm thinking I'll buy one of the gel saddles too. Anythings better than the saddle pain! :)

Yeah well theres lots of choices out there, i spent about £35 in halfords for mine as im quite big so needed someone substantial but my wife and daughter got one each from sports direct for £10 and they were happy with them :)

Which decathlon store do you go to? we went to look at one in Reading a couple of weeks ago when we were looking at bikes but we decided to go down the used route and got higher quality bikes.

I'm off to Decathlon tonight to buy my son a new bike so I'm thinking I'll buy one of the gel saddles too. Anythings better than the saddle pain! :)

I live in Glasgow so that one. I'm thinking of having s wee look in Sports Direct earlier today too as someone else suggested I look there.
My OH is eying up a great bike in Decathlon but it's a thousand pounds! :-o
I never thought of looking at used ones though.
The one I want is 350 but if I thought I'd get a better one I'd think about buying a used one too.

hi. im wanting to get a bike but dont really no how much i would use it. i would like to think that ideally i would ride to work and back on it, but at the moment i have a little one in a buggy who i take to the babysitter so wouldnt be able to do that unless i left the bike there on the evenings when i pick my little one up and then walk home and then walk down the following morning b4 work. reading this back to myself there isnt actually a reason y i couldnt get a bike it there! whilst im on the subjects about bikes... although i know that im ok to go on a bike and im not too heavy. i have always wondered... what is the actually max weight for a bike? neva seen a max capacity on the stats. x

Hello cyclists! I didn't see this thread and just started a new one, sorry!
Yes, I love cycling too :)

Seats: def worth getting padded shirts and you can get ones which have a normal pair of shorts do that they don't look so... Um... Indecent! Lol

You can also get special seats that have cut away bits for ladies and men. For men it's very important. Apparently there is a special vein and nerve system down there that you dont want to damage!

Enjoy :) build up slowly so you dont put yourselves off!
Tx

Do you guys have recommendations for bikes? I've been thinking about getting one and it's a minefield

Back