So many diet paths- so many failure options- which way now?

Hi everyone. Ive come to a bit of a crossroads. I either continue as I am and end up featured on one of those reality TV shows about a woman who needed to be crane lifted out of her house OR i try and get some control. I weigh 17 st 7 but have been 19st in the past. I have tried weightwatchers ( long time ago) slimming world (3 times) , lighter life (managed a week!!!) atkins, calorie counting, slim fast, and a variety of other things but always failed miserably. I feel so cOnfused by all the diet options out there and dont know which way to turn. I bought 2 magazines today about health, diet and fitness and have confused myself even more. I'm desperate! I hate my body, i hate thatsummer is coming and i will look awful again and its starting to habe a massive impact on my relationship with my husband as im so insecure and down about how i look. Im 40 this year and always said if i was fat and 40 i would have surgery. Am i really really this weak minded that i cant get a grip and just lose weight? Am i really thinking about risking my life through surgery to be slim? I know if i have surgery i will end up on a surgery merry go round of floppy skin and tummy tucks. I dont have the money for this but am so down and lost.

Im sure other people are serial dieters so how did you decide on "your road"?

Xxx

Hi Clare, I've been dieting since my teens (I'm 44 now) and have tried lots of different options too. I find the only ones I can stick to are the very strict diets, where I can't eat anything I want such as Cambridge and Lighter Life. Having said that I had to be in the right frame of mind to take those on as they can be depressing. I did Lighter Life in 2004 when I had a holiday in Australia booked. I lost 3 stone in 3 months and was delighted. I slowly put it back on over about 5 years then did Cambridge for 2 months a couple of years ago and lost nearly 2 stone for another holiday.

I now have a holiday in 6 weeks time so have started Dukan as lots of people I know have done really well on it. I've lost 5lbs in the first 3 days and this time, I've vowed to lose the weight for good by keeping the carbs down, as they are my downfall.

Incidentally I do loads of walking, cycling and other exercise but this never leads to a weight reduction, so I think I'll just keep that up to tone up and keep my weight stable (hopefully) this time.

I've always found with WW and SW type diets, I end up cheating, with the ultra strict diets you can't. You either do it properly or not at all. Having said that, on Dukan you can eat as much as you want so you don't feel hungry at least.

Not sure if my ramblings will help, but I'm sure other people will chip in too. xx

Hey,
First off a big :bighug:I have been a yo-yo dieter for a while and it is so depressing when you're back at a weight you thought you'd never see again as I am. I have tried calorie counting but dont have the will power to keep that up and I simply cant do any of them alone. I have a big appetite so any plan that leaves me hungry I will fail within the first week, so I follow Slimming World because if you get hungry on it then you're doing it wrong! I first joined SW in 2007 after I had my first daughter and it was a lovely group with a fantastic consultant. I lost just over 3 stone and got to target and was so happy. I wouldn't have been able to do it at all if it wasnt for the group. Then I got preg with my second child, my consultant retired and all the weight plus an extra stone went back on. I rejoined a few times but have never achieved anywhere near my original success. I'm back there now, on week 3 and to get to where I was I need to lose 3 stone again. I'm trying not to think about that though, any loss I'm treating as a success. So that's my story so far. I know it's very do-able to lose any amount of weight you want, you dont even have to believe it, just find what works for you and I think support is key. There seems to be a lot on this site, so maybe have a read through and decide what option to take and I'm sure there'll be loads of people ready to chat and help you along the way (incl me!) xx

Why did you think you failed on all the diets you have tried? Did you lose and then put it back on?

Irene xx

Thanks everyone. I think I failed before for a variety of reasons- my weight watchers and slimming world leaders said I didn't eat enough but I was already eating more than I was used to. I worked shifts and did a lot of nights and found it hard to do that ad a salad at 4am on a busy night shift just didn't do it for me! My mums Italian so I am a real carb addict but carbs don't seem to like me as much as I like them! Lol.

Ultimately- it's all excuses. I'm not sure I have ever really stuck to any diet 100% and I tend to sabotage myself or just can't learn to say No to food. I typically use food for everything- when I'm miserable, tired, happy, bored.....not sure how to break the cycle.

Stebbsy- thanks for the hug! I think I'm going to join u at slimming world and join a class this week. Just moved to a new area and have no family or friends here so will be a toughie but maybe make some new friends too!

Xxxx

Hi, I can relate to everything you've written & have also tried every ( ok I'm exaggerating) diet before. I've lost & regained sooooo many times that I don't actually know what my natural healthy weight looks or feels like. I'm also a self sabotager - my logical brain knows what I need to do to succeed but my emotional brain invariably overrides it.

You said you've failed but you haven't as you're still trying to lose weight. Good luck.

ive been there too unfortunatly.. but im hoping s/w helps me this time.. xx hope you find your way back on track hun, i know its not nice feeling so low when nothing seems to work :( xxx

I have just come back from a holiday feeling really crap about myself. Two weeks of hubby looking at anything that breathed did nothing for my confidence. I needed to lose weight for health reasons , but have used how he was on holiday to keep me motivated. Usually i have no willpower and have tried a number of times before but have returned to my old eating habits. The important thing is that you are giving it another go. Sure you can do it., and this site seems a brilliant place to get support. x

Just starting out myself.. Good luck! I lost 5 stone before I had my two children but I'm now back to where I was before.. An under active thyroid doesn't help! Good luck! Xx

Back