Some Advice for New Starters

BordersGirl

Feeling great in 2012!
This might be TMI but I thought it was an important issue for new starters to be aware of. This diet can make many people very constipated. When I first did a VLCD many years ago this happened to me and I was in quite a bad way by the time I addressed it.

As you are consuming such a small amount of food you will not 'go' anywhere near as much as before on this diet but do not let things get really bad before you do something about it as otherwise you can end up with quite a problem. If you feel like you need to go and aren't able to then it's best to take a laxative to sort things out. Everyone is different but the thing that works best for me is Dulcolax Pico Perles and I've tried a number of different things. I take 2 of these a couple of times a week before bedtime, relief before morning shake :). I've tried about every fibre supplement known to man but none of these have any effect on me :(

Some of you may have the opposite problem however as this diet affects everyone differently.

This is a very useful thread BordersGirl.

I'll add from my experience: the meals (spag bol etc) constipate me while the shakes/soups lead to the opposite reaction. So I try to mix up the solid and liquid meals. Like BordersGirl, I also take something to help me go and my preference is Royal Lax tea which gets the job done without cramping etc etc.

Thanks for posting that...found out same issue a few years back too lol. Dulcolax works best for me too....about twice a week...

I find that the original Dulcolax gives me bad stomach cramps and that the Pico Perles are milder but just as effective. Senna does nothing for me at all now. For those who are worried, things do return to normal once you complete the diet.

I might need to look into this. Then again think I've had 2 solid things in the past week.

Cherry it's fine if you are going normally and don't feel bunged up. It's just really a warning to people not to leave it until it's a terrible problem. When I did LT in 2005 I left it so long it literally felt like I was giving birth when I finally managed to go, and there are people who have done a VLCD who have ended up in A&E with fecal impaction or sitting on the loo for literally hours and even passing out. I wish that someone had told me what to expect before I started and that I hadn't ended up with a problem.

Yes, that sounds horrendous doesn't it! :eek:

Faecal vomiting. Another nice thing if you don't go for a long time.

Back