Some helpful info I found

Bethuk1

Don't know if this has been posted before but thought it might come in helpful for others :)

Water.
Water is essential to weight loss. The minimum consumed in a day should be

Weight-----------------Litres
140lbs-----------------2.5
160lbs-----------------3.0
180lbs-----------------3.0
200lbs-----------------3.5
220lbs-----------------3.5
240lbs-----------------4.0
260lbs-----------------4.5
280lbs-----------------4.5
300lbs-----------------5.0
320lbs-----------------5.5
340lbs-----------------5.5
360lbs-----------------6.0
380lbs-----------------6.5
400lbs-----------------6.5

High levels of ketones in the blood stream can lead to a reduction in ketone production, therefore being well hydrated could aid in keeping the levels low and ketone production ongoing. Consuming enough water can have many other positive side effects: aids your kidneys with the processing of protein, reduces the retention of water, helps with preventing constipation, and reduces the levels of ketones released by your breath, which in-turn will reduce breath odour.

Citric acid.
Citric acid, a common ingredient in diet drinks, can stall weight loss for some lowcarbers. If you are sensitive to this ingredient it can slow you down.

Menstrual Cycle
Many women find that their progress is affected by their menstrual cycle. After a few months, you will have an idea of how your cycle affects weight loss, and you will be able to take it into account when measuring your losses. People have noted the following interactions between low carb eating and the menstrual cycle in women include: heightened carb cravings in the second half of the cycle, ketosis levels dropping or disappearing altogether, differences in the amount and severity of cramps, changes in the heaviness and timing of the cycle. Additionally it has been noted that a low-carb diet is very helpful to women with PCOS.

Thanks, good to know.

Wow, how right do we think this is? By this calculation I should be drinking 4.5 litres a day, i normally get about 3 in, should I increase this? X

I'm going to try 4 litres today to reduce the death breath!!

I've just updated my water intake app to have my goal at 4.5 litres, going to see how I do with it, if I find it ok then I'll keep my goal at that, can't do no harm can it! X

Thanks for the info x I drink 4lts day plus shakes but going to up it to 4.5lts and see if there is any difference

thanks for the information, very helpful - is this just plain water or does water in teas and coffees count. I usually manage to drink at least 3 litres of plain water and then about 5 cups of tea/coffee per day...

thanks for the information, very helpful - is this just plain water or does water in teas and coffees count. I usually manage to drink at least 3 litres of plain water and then about 5 cups of tea/coffee per day...

I always got told to include that water! x

Ah, the old 'does tea and coffee count?' issue. :D

This has caused much debate in the past. See here:

http://www.minimins.com/cambridge-diet-forum/129583-does-coffee-count-towards-water.html

To cut to the chase (for those of you who really can't be bothered to read through 4 pages, LOL)...

YES - black tea and black coffee does count towards your total fluid intake. :) To be honest, I can't see why it has to be black - if you're on SS+ for example you might be having white tea / coffee. What's the difference between having 20ml of skimmed milk in a glass then drinking a cup of black tea? Why not put them in the same cup...?

Last edited:
Thanks for that information..it's very interesting about the citric acid in diet drinks. It looks like I should be drinking 3.5 litres but most days, can only manage 2.5..must try harder!

Apparently I should drink between 3.5 and 4 litres a day....I don't even drink 4 pints!!!

I know I need to get much much better at this. Probably stop the yucky dizzy feeling I get pretty constantly :(

*turns over a new leaf* I will aim for 3.5 litres per day. And a minimum of 2.25.

Its very dangerous to drink too much water!!! Nobody should be drinking over 4litres....it can do serious damage to your insides. If you need this clarified, ask your doctor!!

Its very dangerous to drink too much water!!! Nobody should be drinking over 4litres....it can do serious damage to your insides. If you need this clarified, ask your doctor!!

ooo maybe just stick to 4 litres then!

Hmm my CDC said that she drank 3 - 5 litres and plain is best...now I am confused! Lol too much for my little head - think I will do 3 - 4 as I take tetras and then coffees and teas....

Drinking to much Water can wash away Salts.....some of which you actually need in your Blood stream to be healthy...so don't go mad on drinking Water

Actually, people can and do drink 4+ litres of water over the course of a day without risking death. :D

Water intoxication is caused by drinking water too quickly - say if you were to drink 4 litres in twenty minutes or something equally daft. If you space your water intake out across the course of the day, you'll be absolutely fine.

Last edited:
I think death by water only happens when you try to drink the whole 4 litres in one go, don't quote me on that one mind! I think it makes sense that obviously the bigger your body the more water you would need…well it does for me when it comes to drinking larger lol xx

Thanks for that info Beth, made interesting reading. And you're right death by water only happens if people consume a larger quantity over a short period of time. I quite often drink more than 4litres if it's hot or I've been exercising. Spaced out through out the day!!!

The danger is that if people don't like drinking water they try to get it over with so drink a lot in one go. The kidneys can't cope with the sudden influx of water.... This article explains it better than I can.

What Happens During Water Intoxication?

When too much water enters the body's cells, the tissues swell with the excess fluid. Your cells maintain a specific concentration gradient, so excess water outside the cells (the serum) draws sodium from within the cells out into the serum in an attempt to re-establish the necessary concentration. As more water accumulates, the serum sodium concentration drops -- a condition known as hyponatremia. The other way cells try to regain the electrolyte balance is for water outside the cells to rush into the cells via osmosis. The movement of water across a semipermeable membrane from higher to lower concentration is called osmosis. Although electrolytes are more concentrated inside the cells than outside, the water outside the cells is 'more concentrated' or 'less dilute' since it contains fewer electrolytes. Both electrolytes and water move across the cell membrane in an effort to balance concentration. Theoretically, cells could swell to the point of bursting.

From the cell's point of view, water intoxication produces the same effects as would result from drowning in fresh water. Electrolyte imbalance and tissue swelling can cause an irregular heartbeat, allow fluid to enter the lungs, and may cause fluttering eyelids. Swelling puts pressure on the brain and nerves, which can cause behaviors resembling alcohol intoxication. Swelling of brain tissues can cause seizures, coma and ultimately death unless water intake is restricted and a hypertonic saline (salt) solution is administered. If treatment is given before tissue swelling causes too much cellular damage, then a complete recovery can be expected within a few days.

It's Not How Much You Drink, It's How Fast You Drink It!

The kidneys of a healthy adult can process fifteen liters of water a day! You are unlikely to suffer from water intoxication, even if you drink a lot of water, as long as you drink over time as opposed to intaking an enormous volume at one time. As a general guideline, most adults need about three quarts of fluid each day. Much of that water comes from food, so 8-12 eight ounce glasses a day is a common recommended intake. You may need more water if the weather is very warm or very dry, if you are exercising, or if you are taking certain medications. The bottom line is this: it's possible to drink too much water, but unless you are running a marathon or an infant, water intoxication is a very uncommon condition.

Fab thread, will be upping both my intake, bt also the frequency at which I drink it. Have fond it beneficial to put water in 75cl bottles and carry them round with me, even when at home 9I often have 4 or 5 dotted round the house!), so am never more than arms length from a good glug!!

:)

Back