Some questions about low carb diets and "ketosis"

RaspberryOatmeal

I've already posted a similar thread to this in the low carb forum, but I figured the Atkins forum is a lot busier so I'd get more responses. :)

After half term, I'm thinking of doing a high protein and low carb diet. So I have a few questions...

-How long does it take to get your body into ketosis mode?

-How many grams of carbs do you need to get into ketosis?

-How much weight do you lose each week when you're in ketosis?

-If you began to eat a lot more carbs after a low carb diet (but still stuck to a normal amount of calories) would you gain a lot of weight back?

Thank you!

No I didn't, but I'll go and check now! :)

-How long does it take to get your body into ketosis mode?

For me, about 72 hours

-How many grams of carbs do you need to get into ketosis?

<40g a day is a general rule and seems to be right in my experience. We all get in with less than 20g through Atkins inductions.

-How much weight do you lose each week when you're in ketosis?

Depends how much you weigh, how much you eat, how much fat you eat (high protein isn't ideal, should really be high fat on a low carb diet with plenty of protein thrown in). For me it was 4-5 lbs a week to start with then slowly dropped to 3 a week. About 2 a week now which is driving me crazy.

-If you began to eat a lot more carbs after a low carb diet (but still stuck to a normal amount of calories) would you gain a lot of weight back?

A bit of water weight yes. Probably about 5 lbs although Atkins talks of a critical carb level for maintenance. I reckon you could comfortably maintain on 150g a day and his estimates are a bit out IMO...

Good luck.

Hah, if you come to Atkins you'll need to change your nick :)

Back