Something interesting for those committing to 100%

Honeyoc

Is a crunchy mama!
My consultant emailed me this wonderful article on how we sometimes sabotage our weight loss efforts.

Are you sabotaging your own weight loss without realising?
Figuring out what could be going wrong quickly so you can address any issues and get the needle on the scales moving again is the key to your success. With support and encouragement of the group you can take action and move forward feeling strong and confident about your daily Food Optimising and a slim and healthy future!

What to do if you stop losing weight

Firstly, never doubt that Food Optimising 100% (whether that’s using Extra Easy, Green or Original) will result in a weight loss. When you:

stops counting altogether

under-estimates Syn values when guessing

believes something is Free when it’s not

stops measuring everything (everything!) that should be measured

you’re most likely to stop losing weight, or even put it on.

Ensure you aren’t making common mistakes

See attached – Where could I have gone wrong.

Are you changing the plan?

Members can be quite creative when it comes to finding “healthier” substitutes for their favourite meals and snacks, yet this can spell disaster for their weight loss!

Tweaking the plan changes the spirit of Food Optimising and could result in members adding lots more Syns to their day without even realising! This is how members could be changing the plan and getting it wrong…

Making snacks like “Slimming World Doritos” from lasagne sheets, quiche using pasta in sauce, and cake from couscous or chickpeas: Although the main ingredients for these recipes are a Free Food they have to be counted as Syns because they’re easy to overeat without realising. When these foods are used in their intended form they’re bulky and usually the main ingredient of a meal along with other satisfying Free or Superfree Foods. This is when you would gain the greatest satiety from these foods. In essence eating them in this ‘snack’ form encourages members to eat more calories without the satisfaction of a filling, healthy meal and this could be jeopardising their weight losses. It’s an effective way of adding a lot of extra calories in a non-bulky, non-satisfying way. To protect members’ weight loss we would always recommend when using these products in this way to count them as Syns

Liquidising Free Foods: Pureeing rice and other Free Food to make sauces could really harm members’ weight losses. When bulky foods such as rice, macaroni and semolina are used in their original form they are usually the main ingredient in a meal. If liquidised and used as a sauce in addition to a main meal they must be counted as Syns as they are adding lots of extra calories to your meal. Eating in this way reverts to a style of eating like the one that helped us gain weight in the first place – choosing a relatively large amount of calories/energy in a non-filling form. Fascinatingly, the less you have to chew food, the easier it is to eat more of it too, because you’re missing out on one of the first stages of feeling full and satisfied – chewing!

NB: The only exception to this rule is liquidising vegetables when they’re used to make soup. Homemade soup can be made for Free because it maintains its bulky and filling qualities for very few calories. It’s generally made by blending the vegetables into the water or stock they’ve been cooked in (which keeps the energy density very low) and therefore is very satisfying as a main meal.

Delicious, nutritious food is at the heart of Slimming World’s Food Optimising and we wholeheartedly encourage members to experiment with recipes, be creative in the kitchen and most of all – enjoy eating healthy, balanced, homecooked meals. If members are doing any of the above and they aren’t getting the weight losses they would like then let them know that this could be why. On the other hand, if they’re still having good losses then there’s no problem – for now! Just let them know that in the long term, these are the kinds of things that could jeopardise your weight losses.

Action: Remember that staying to group is absolutely vital for your success. Image Therapy is where this kind of information is shared; it’s where you and the group can help struggling members figure out where things could be growing wrong and share Free and low-Syn snack and meal ideas to get them back on track. Above all it’s where members are guaranteed to receive the strength, support, motivation and encouragement they so desperately need to continue on their slimming journey

so where does this leave the mushy pea curry?

I mash or blend it to get it smoother.

I love that!! x

LOL!! Mushy peas are already mushed and are free so it's all good! :D

DOH! Haha....beans aint mushy tho ;) x

Thanks for posting x

I also read today (official from SW apparently) that the couscous cake is free on Green or EE. Need to make their minds up!!! Obviously it's not wise to eat the whole cake but a slice or two is definitely fine IMO. Everything in moderation is they key. You know yourself if you're over eating. Is it ok to eat whole cake? What do you think? :17729: :479: lol!

hmm very interesting! So do we think that mean crisps from the ledgendary microwave crisp maker would 'technically' have to be synned? xxx

I also read today (official from SW apparently) that the couscous cake is free on Green or EE. Need to make their minds up!!! Obviously it's not wise to eat the whole cake but a slice or two is definitely fine IMO. Everything in moderation is they key. You know yourself if you're over eating. Is it ok to eat whole cake? What do you think? :17729: :479: lol!

I agree! I think if you're eating a whole cake as a snack then there's a problem. I've eaten a whole couscous cake a few times but only as a meal (lunch on the go mostly) but as a snack it should be eaten in small quantities. I make it into muffins that way I can regulate how much I'm eating.

was just having a browse of old threads and came across this one that I must of missed first time round. Brilliant pointers in the original post and in very much need of a bumping up.

Excellent thread - thanks for bumping it Britmum.

Thanks for bumping, I mist have missed it too...a great thread!! xx

Good points to think about. I have never tried making the couscous cake. It sounds like it could go wrong. This has got me thinking about the whole carrot cake sitting in the kitchen. I had better make myself a nice lunch, to take my mind off it. Im a little scared of going near it, it will start calling to me!

Back