Something strange happened to me!!

Many years ago I was made redundant, it was a case of, clear your desk, there is no longer a company, we all cleared our desks and stood outside, not knowing what to do, way before mobiles were the norm, i decided to go to my BF's flat, got there and he wasnt in, I decided to get some cash, go to the phone box and ring my mum, went to the cash machine, and asked for a tenner, it spat my card at me, I asked for a fiver,(yep, those were the days!) nope, wasnt happening, half past nine on a saturday morning, mum wasnt picking me up till half 5 that night, no money, no phone. I sat on the kerb and cried!!! A man came up to use the cash machine and I he asked what was wrong, so I told him we had gone bust, (it was a famous place that I worked for!) He took a fiver out of his pocket and told me to ring my mum, I walked to the shop with him, and got it changed so I had 10p, and he wouldnt take the change, he said he had been made redundant before and he know what it was like and he hoped I would get a new job soon.

Ill never forget him, he was there in my hour of need, couldnt tell you what he looked like or anything, but ive often thought about it.

ahhhhhhhhh how great it was when you could take out your last fiver!!!
now it sits in there laughing at you 'hahha you cant touch me'
oooops maybe its just me

great story vicky!!!
maybe its not as bad as we all think
xx

It really gives me a warm feeling when i hear stories like this, it just doesnt happen very often, pay it forward was an excellent film, bawled my eyes out like a baby :)

Hmmm I am looking for your diary....well everyone has taken to this thread....lol.
How you doing Nat.?

Seeing As We Are Getting Warm And Fuzzy Thought I Might As Well Give You My Story, I Had Been In Ireland Ten Months And My Husband Lost Part Of His Thumb In A Works Accident And Because We Were New In Country We Couldnt Get Dole Or Disability . I Went Into The Play Group To Tell Them I Would Have To Stop Sending The Children Everyday Because What Had Happened . The Owner Called Me Into The Office And Said She Wouldnt Take A Penny From Me Until My Husaband Returned To Full Time Work . I Cried For So Long I Think She Thought I Was Having A Breakdown. Human Kindness Can Be Worth More Than Any Amount Of Money . Im Tearful Now Writing About It And It Was 6 Years Ago.
When The Children Left I Gave Her A Cheque For 300 Pounds,nowhere Near The Amount I Owed Her But She Was Still Over The Moon With It

What a delightful thread.

I'm glad someone mentioned the 'Pay it Foreward' film..this is exactly the sort of thing it was promoting.

I love it when I can do a small Act of Random Kindness for someone I've never met.Even if it's just giving some change to someone at the parking machine.

Is it just me then that thought Pay it Forward was pants ? And unwashed pants at that. :sign0137:

I can certainly see why Denzel Washington turned it down.

I did however cry at the end
When I realised I had used up two hours of my life to watch the thing in the first place.

ooh, i'll have to watch 'pay it forward' now so I can give my opinion on it. :)

I give a dad outside my local tesco 50p the other day. He'd just been in the shop to get change for the children's 'rides' outside the shop but didn't realise it took 50's and only had a £1 coin. his little girl was sitting there all excited and when he told her they'd have to go back in again she looked so...deflated! lol. So, i give him the 50p. hehe. it made me happy knowing i'd made the little girl happy :D

Here's a story that I heard from a friend of a friend of a friend etc.

There's a well-known 'tramp' in my town(sorry, don't know if thats not PC, or if it even matters. apologies anyway) Anyway, he is known as teacosy Pete. He walks all around the town and is well known, liked and respected by many. I heard, some time ago, that he found a ladies purse full of her money, cards etc and details, apparently she lived about 2 towns away, but he walked to her home and handed it to her personally. How honest and nice was that?! (if it is true of course)

Here's another - not so nice - story. When I was in my teens, myself and a group of friends went to Mc. D's for food. After food, my 'best friend' and I used the toilet, came out to wash our hands and then went to leave but my friend turned to me (whilst still in the ladies) and said she'd be out in a minute, she had to use the loo again (bad tummy apparently) as I walked out, I noticed she went into the cubicle that I had just used but thought nothing of it. We waited outside for her and then all started walking down the road together. Halfway down the road, I realised I'd left my purse in Mc. D's and ran back for it. Guess where I found it?! Yep, in the toilet cubicle....emptied out! To this day, I am convinced that my so called best friend noticed it and went back into the toilet for that reason and took all my money from it:mad:...no cards or anything though, I was only 14/15.

Sorry to spoil the lovely vibes. I'm going to go now.... lol

What a lovely man to have helped you in your moment of need nat. It's definately something I would do if I saw someone in your situation (if I had enough pennies on me of course :) )

My goodness!!!!!! I don't half harp on !:giggle: :sad0071: :blahblah:

Is it just me then that thought Pay it Forward was pants ? And unwashed pants at that. :sign0137:

I can certainly see why Denzel Washington turned it down.

I did however cry at the end
When I realised I had used up two hours of my life to watch the thing in the first place.

We never said it was great cinema.or a work of great depth.....just a nice story.
you have to watch it in a rose pink frame of mind & be feeling a bit squelchy & sentimental.

i eckon you're just being normal & cynical

ooh, i'll have to watch 'pay it forward' now so I can give my opinion on it. :)

Yeas please do that.
we'll find out if Brad has anyone else in his cynical camp

Hi everyone,

what lovely stories!!

I once found a handbag on an ASDA trolley, it was zipped...and when i looked inside...had fistful's of 20's..I handed it in to Customer Service...when I rang a few days later to see if they found the owner....THEY HAD NO RECORD!!!!! always give to the POLICE!!!!

My friend tanked up...and found she'd forgotten her purse at home....a kind guy in the car behind paid...wen she tried to get his details...he said..just give it to charity...there are some good people out there!

I recently tanked up...realised i dint have my card, and was a fiver short:eek: ...had to ring the other half!! oops...

Back