SOTW basket.....can't believe some people!

Krsemma

I was so chuffed to win sotw today. When I did SW last year I used to get it regularly but this is the first time since I started again so very chuffed! When I looked through my bag of goodies I noticed a roast chicken mugshot that the top of the packet had been ripped off and folded over!!!! Someone obviously realised it wasn't a free one and thought they would sneak it in the basket!! Is it just me or does anyone else think thats a bit off??

Anyone else received any surprises?

Yes it is a bit off, but also a bit funny too!! ;)

We've been told fruit or veg only as a lot of people don't like mugshots, pasta in sauce etc

Well done on winning - I would mention it to your consultant though so people don't put such things in again!!

I did think of texting her but didn't want people to think I was a tell-tale! :) Very cheeky but yes starting to see the funny side!

The thing which annoys me is all the manky black bananas which people clearly don't want to eat!!!

I've won it a few times but always politely decline the basket and tell her to give it to the next person, I don't want someone else's fruit that's almost past or past it's date! I only buy organic fruit & veg so I don't trust what other people give!

I put something in the basket every single week like gel pots, chickpeas, alpen bars etc but what really annoys me is most people in the group don't bother bringing anything in for it and whoever wins sotw is usually someone who hasn't put anything in the basket either!! I did say it in group one week that people could make more of an effort to bring stuff in and the following week the basket was actually overflowing but it didn't last long everyone went back to their old ways!

I got a manky kiwi fruit-as in complete mush as soon as u touch it and always get black bananas. I usually take an Allen bar or an apple-I wouldn't dare stick something past it's best in x

That's ridiculous, but quite funny! Have to say, our SOTW basket is really good in comparison to some of the others I've just read - members are good at bringing items in and the fruit/veg usually looks quite fresh.

I always try to take something 'different' in for the SOTW. I like to try new products that come out such as new cereal bars for Healthy B choice, for example. If I buy a box, I'll usually take one of those in. When the Cadbury Phili came out I took one of the small tubs in - I wrote on the tub how many Syns were in it, so that way SOTW could decide whether or not they wanted to eat it.

I think SOTW is a real achievement, as is any weight loss, so it's nice for the 'winner' to get something nice to celebrate that :)

Not too long ago I won and amongst the fruit was a packet of tesco value noodles 2 years past their sell by date :eek:, checked the basket the following week and they was another packet there, mentioned to consultant, she removed the offending packet and now mentions most weeks that only fresh fruit or veg should be in the basket.

Our SOTW basket is usually full of pasta, mugshots and tinned tomatoes. Not very inspiring. I actually got the SOTW basket last week, and found some of the Uncle Bens microwaveable rice, which I know are syn-laden, 4 packs of mugshots (one was 3 syns), and two tins of tomatoes. That was it, apart from some eggs, which I put in myself.

I get that people can forget to bring stuff, but the variety of what IS put in needs shaking up!

Oh dear!
Our SOTW bowl is all superfree- fruit and veg only. Quality is normally fine though..nothing what's a bit past it thankfully.

Our consultant always tells us not to put anything in that we wouldn't want to take home ourselves. We have a mix of stuff, some fruit and vegetables, some packet or tins, but it is all usually OK. There was a tin of tomatoes when I won, which I took back a few weeks later as I don't eat tinned tomatoes, and I am pretty sure the same tin made a few more return journeys before someone was happy to keep it!

If I put in something which isn't syn-free, then I will stick a label on it saying how many syns it has.

A friend of mine goes to a class where someone regularly brings in home-grown fruit or vegetables, which is nice, and someone in our group sometimes brings in a bunch of flowers.

Our consultant always tells us not to put anything in that we wouldn't want to take home ourselves. We have a mix of stuff, some fruit and vegetables, some packet or tins, but it is all usually OK. There was a tin of tomatoes when I won, which I took back a few weeks later as I don't eat tinned tomatoes, and I am pretty sure the same tin made a few more return journeys before someone was happy to keep it!

If I put in something which isn't syn-free, then I will stick a label on it saying how many syns it has.

A friend of mine goes to a class where someone regularly brings in home-grown fruit or vegetables, which is nice, and someone in our group sometimes brings in a bunch of flowers.

Ahh, the flowers are a lovely touch! :)

I have declined the basket before, because i dont want to eat food when i dont know where its been. I suffer with OCD, i am not a snob but they could have had pets walk on counter top or they might just be unclean. I know i have probably offended somebody but like i said i aint a snob just something i struggle with. I do always take something in for the basket and most of the time its freshish looking.
Amy x

I wish our basket was more exciting! I've won it twice now...and have to say it's a little underwhelming...it's just fruit...of which there are usually about 10-15 different pieces (so clearly, not everyone takes it with them as about 25ish people come to weigh in). It usually consists of about 6 slightly squishy oranges/satsumas (of which I like neither!), 3 grotty apples (clearly the last ones on the fruit bowl) and there might be a dodgy kiwi or a black banana for good measure...theres usually only 3 or 4 pieces that are actually worth eating (in my opinion)...once I had a grotty hifi light bar that looked like it had come from the bottom of someone's handbag!

it's such a shame...I like getting slimmer of the week for recognition of the effort I've put in...but I do wish others would appreciate the motivation it could bring if everyone contributed in the right way!

There is often fruit past its best in ours but my chickens love it!

I'm a bit stuck. I weigh in on different days every week because of shifts, If I go on a Tuesday I go after work and most weeks I forget my book let alone fruit for SOW, the following week I go on a Thursday morning, my shopping is delivered later that day so I have nothing fresh enough in to take! Some weeks I 'make up' for forgetting and take in a bag of apples, too bad I don't stay to group lol!
So I need to take in something non-persishable, that I can leave in the car, but I get that people don't all like savoury rice, I did put some mugshots in, because I bought them on an offer tried one and didn't really like it. I have some face masks I was given but my skin is sensitive, would that be acceptable? Or does it have to be food?

Love the flowers idea!

Shirleen said:
I'm a bit stuck. I weigh in on different days every week because of shifts, If I go on a Tuesday I go after work and most weeks I forget my book let alone fruit for SOW, the following week I go on a Thursday morning, my shopping is delivered later that day so I have nothing fresh enough in to take! Some weeks I 'make up' for forgetting and take in a bag of apples, too bad I don't stay to group lol!
So I need to take in something non-persishable, that I can leave in the car, but I get that people don't all like savoury rice, I did put some mugshots in, because I bought them on an offer tried one and didn't really like it. I have some face masks I was given but my skin is sensitive, would that be acceptable? Or does it have to be food?

Love the flowers idea!

I personally think that if you're putting into the basket you can put in whatever you like and that includes face masks! I don't have an issue either with mug shots, savoury rice, pasta n sauce etc if people are kind enough to put into it people should be grateful for whatever they get! (except out of date fruit etc lol)

to be honest i quite like the idea of having little beauty treats in there like a face pack. not been suggested in my group i dont think, they just say to bring fruit.

i hold my hands up i did forget my fruit this week lol its bad cos it was only my second weigh in. but it was ok cos i won slimmer of the week myself so would have only got it back. but my slimmer of the week basket was a bit rubbish, apart from 2 oranges and 1 apple that were ok. oh and a kiwi that felt firm enough. there was also an apple with a bruise on it, 3 tangerines that were past their best and a bit squidgy. and a cheese mugshot which i dont eat.

but never mind, i wasnt bothered about the fruit wish i was brazen enough to say i dont want it lol cos i threw the bruised apple and the squashed tangerines out. but at least some people try to bring some. i dont think anyones really bothered about getting the fruit its just the achievement of getting the award. oh there was a fridge magnet in there too, a slimming world one saying if you can dream it, you can do it. suppose the consultant put that in? i did put it on the fridge. and my sticker on my book that was enough of a prize for me.

after getting that though, from now on im gonna remember my fruit every week and make it a good one so that the slimmer of the week gets something nice in there. theres some really nice and different fruits you can buy. like this week (even though i forgotten it :( ) i got some teeny little bananas in a packet from asda they were by danone and were £1. and a snack pack of grapes for about 80p. im lucky though i have time to do this i finish work at 4 and work near to an asda and a morrisons so i can just nip in there before going home and get the slimmer of the week fruit while i stock up for my own fruit

oh do you lot get a raffle at your groups? mine does one where the consultant gets aload of stuff, usually veggies and things and we buy raffle ticket for 50p. i won it last week and got a bag full of aldi veggies like sunday dinner stuff. this week when our usual consultant was back there was veggies in there but shed also bought a tub of oxos from costco and tub of cadburies philli to put in. worth the 50p if you win it

I personally love the idea of face masks, etc. as part of the SOTW basket. Great idea, Shirleen! :)

Back