SOTW basket.....can't believe some people!

I took a yoghurt in once and as we were queuing past it the woman behind me said look there's an out of date yoghurt in there! I didn't do it on purpose and owned up and took it out again! It was just that week I was in a hurry and grabbed the first thing I could think of!
I think its nice if people put stuff in preferably not pre-opened or out of date though! I would have loved facemasks etc when I was going to group :)

It took me about 3 weeks to realise that it was the members putting items into a basket as they signed in :wave_cry:. It wasn't explained when i joined and I wrongly thought it was like the raffle - the C provided it :D I think it only came to light when the winner one week asked who donated a specific item because she'd been trying to find it herself! As another poster mentioned, it was a bit sad that most in class didn't bother (I always did once I knew) and just hoped that if one of them won, their concience nudged them enough to refuse it politely.

I have seen some people who have forgotten to bring something, or just didn't have time because they rushed there from work, buy a pack of hifi bars and put one or two in the basket.

On the odd occasion when I have been SOTW (not often!!) the contents of the basket have been quite good and if there is something I know I won't eat I might give it to someone else there. Once there was a lovely pink grapefruit, but I can't eat grapefruit, so I gave it to the consultant. She was very surprised and pleased!

When I went to group (5 years ago) the basket of goodies was great. There was a man there who would bring stuff like dragon fruit and lychees etc and the fruit that everyone brought was always good quality.
I can't believe someone would intentionally put stuff in there that they wouldn't eat themselves, i'd be embarrased putting a manky banana in there lol x

Haha - people do make me chuckle. I love the idea of non-food treats. Lets be honest, most of us are where we are because we turn to food when we want to feel better about things, so a bit of a lesson in pampering can't be a bad thing.

I used to want the raffle prize basket that our consultant (also a chef) used to to put together each week. It had a recipe card to try cooking along with all the main ingredients. She always made it look lovely, and made sure the recipe card really sold the recipe. She was a lovely consultant. If the time wasn't so awkward I'd go back to that class I think. Hmm.

I only went to class twice as I couldn't really be doing with it. Both times I popped into supermarket on the way though and bought nice fruit - whole pineapple and mango. Better than the tired crap other people brought!

Not just our group then! Reading your replies has made me giggle. Also think face masks is a fab idea :)

Apart from the ripped open mugshot there were 2 squashed satsumas, a packet of pasta & sauce that looked like it had been in someone's cupboard a long time plus you know the packets of jelly crystals that have 2 sides.....I got just 1 half!!!:D I'm starting to sound ungrateful now......I'm going to approach my c to see if we can improve things!

Krsemma said:
Not just our group then! Reading your replies has made me giggle. Also think face masks is a fab idea :)

Apart from the ripped open mugshot there were 2 squashed satsumas, a packet of pasta & sauce that looked like it had been in someone's cupboard a long time plus you know the packets of jelly crystals that have 2 sides.....I got just 1 half!!!:D I'm starting to sound ungrateful now......I'm going to approach my c to see if we can improve things!

Yeah I'm gonna mention it to my consultant aswell, it's not good enough!

I'll be honest i'm guilty of just forgetting - it doesn't even cross my mind! I probably remember 50% of the time? I had it a few times to start with but always had to share it with a lady who started about the same time, but it was quite good as she seemed to like the things i didn't and vice versa. I rather like the idea of beauty products though!

I always take my dinner and some fruit with me to eat (many others do too) as my group is at an awkward time, so the couple of times I have forgotton in my haste to pick up an extra piece of fruit for sotw I've given the piece I brought for myself. Never won myself but I did get a share the week satsumas were on a great offer in Tesco and everyone in the group apart from 2 people brought 2 sataumas. Sotw shared it out so we all got our own satsumaa back lol :)

Most of the sotw basket is pretty good at my meetings...

Btw what's all this about some mugshots not being free?

Most of the sotw basket is pretty good at my meetings...

Btw what's all this about some mugshots not being free?

Oh dear - I think you ought to check out the Mugshot 'sticky' in they Syns Forum. It's only the 1% ones that have free ones.

Oh.... Just checked my cupboard and all the ones that I have are 1% but ill check the sticky and be more careful in future

I've won it a few times but always politely decline the basket and tell her to give it to the next person, I don't want someone else's fruit that's almost past or past it's date! I only buy organic fruit & veg so I don't trust what other people give!

I put something in the basket every single week like gel pots, chickpeas, alpen bars etc but what really annoys me is most people in the group don't bother bringing anything in for it and whoever wins sotw is usually someone who hasn't put anything in the basket either!! I did say it in group one week that people could make more of an effort to bring stuff in and the following week the basket was actually overflowing but it didn't last long everyone went back to their old ways!

I am the same - I have won it a few times but always ask my consultant to raffle it as I always have tons of fruit at home and some of the stuff that ends up in the basket is nasty!
Soemone put a tube of pringles in one week lol. x

stivesliz said:
I am the same - I have won it a few times but always ask my consultant to raffle it as I always have tons of fruit at home and some of the stuff that ends up in the basket is nasty!
Soemone put a tube of pringles in one week lol. x

:eek: Pringles!!! lol

I am ashamed to say this thread really made me laugh!!! :8855:

What is wrong with people?! Surely its better to bring nothing than something gross and rotten?!? I am determined to lead the way with my group r.e. SOTW prize, the beauty products/flowers/herbs etc are all great ideas I will be trying out.

Back