SOTW basket.....can't believe some people!

I just went to asda after work and got a snack pack of fresh grapes to pop in the basket tonight :)

kingleds said:
I am genuinely a little shocked that you would do something like this. It seems a little petty, regardless of his attitude. Did you even wait to see if he won that week? Or just assumed he did?

The guy was successfully loosing weight, and probably needed the motivation of winning SOTW far more than someone with less weight to loose.

I was the 3rd person to leave bcuz of him....he did win BTW. He was rude, would happily say he didn't know the plan and the 'ball n chain' would do all his cooking. Then go on to say he was surprised he lost cuz of all the stuff he had at his weekend football things...he also smirked Wen other members put on.very motivational. Oh....and he got his wife to make a non sw cake for the monthly food taste.

Definitely wasn't me then.
If you left because he was a tool then that's entirely different than leaving because you're a bad looser.

I don't aggravate anyone in class ( as far as I'm aware and certainly not deliberately ) and have done it all myself as I live alone.

I don't like winning SOTW anymore because people have made comments before along the lines of "oh what a surprise".

As far as I'm concerned, if I've been good all week and lost 6 lbs then I bloody well deserve to win it over someone who got pissed at the weekend and lost 2 lbs anyway.

Sent from my iPod touch using MiniMins

Yeah I should have put that in my first post lol wouldn't have upset people then lol my friend in our car club has a lot to loose, I'm sure he wins it most weeks, he even did a sponsership for a baby unit for weight he's lost and I'm really proud of him....it was the blokes attitude not the fact he kept winning it, and the fact the consultant didn't pull him up on his comments

Krsemma said:
Coljack you're weight loss is amazing!! Is that all SW? Trying to get my hubby to join me.

Yes, all SW. And all since last week of august 2010..

Well all these comments are making joining Slimming World classes less and less attractive for me. £4.95 a week plus approx another £1 for the raffle for something I wouldn''t want if I won it but wont because the larger people always win. Bell ringing humiliation - Consultants who do not talk about Green and Original days and push EE along with a magazine that does the same.
Internet for me then.:hmm:

systema said:
Well all these comments are making joining Slimming World classes less and less attractive for me. £4.95 a week plus approx another £1 for the raffle for something I wouldn''t want if I won it but wont because the larger people always win. Bell ringing humiliation - Consultants who do not talk about Green and Original days and push EE along with a magazine that does the same.

I love my class, I've made several lovely friends, we have a laugh for two hours. You do not have to buy a raffle ticket, ours are 50p, and we have lovely prizes. SOW basket is the donated fruit for biggest loser that week. I help people a lot at class and enjoy that. I've met useful people I wouldn't have met otherwise. You're not only paying for class, you're paying for access to a data base of SW online. You'll always get people talking of negatives and not positives ;) x

My first class was amazing! Great laugh loads of help and it was where I lost 6stone. I had to leave as i moved house. There's lots of diff classes in each area you live if Ur lucky so you can search about for one that suits you. If my work times suited class times I would much rather go to a class. As it dsnt I have to go online. You do miss out on things but the site helps...not the same as face to face tho, so if Ur new to it a consultant can't help online, that's where the online membership loses marks...no forum help.If I hadn't of been doing it for years I would defo need group help. Go to a few groups and see if its what u need.

Sorry but I think you're confused. Yes, the raffle is paid for (in our group it's 50p per strip) - so that the Consultant can use the funds to go out and buy the prizes for the raffle - but it goes to whoever has the winning ticket, not 'the larger people'. SOTW is something completely different. The prizes for SOTW are brought in by the members, and the person who has lost the most weight that week (provided they maintained/lost the week before and have stayed to group) wins that - it's all worked out by the PDA.

Also, don't let comments on here put you off, my group is nothing like you describe. Every consultant/group is different, and you'll never know unless you try it.

If you left because he was a tool then that's entirely different than leaving because you're a bad looser.

I don't aggravate anyone in class ( as far as I'm aware and certainly not deliberately ) and have done it all myself as I live alone.

I don't like winning SOTW anymore because people have made comments before along the lines of "oh what a surprise".

As far as I'm concerned, if I've been good all week and lost 6 lbs then I bloody well deserve to win it over someone who got pissed at the weekend and lost 2 lbs anyway.

I agree some people come to group and are like ooooh I fell off the wagon but its only us who can control what goes into out mouths.

And I agree you don't drink you really follow the plan so you deserve to have those losses and sotw titles

I love my class, I've made several lovely friends, we have a laugh for two hours. You do not have to buy a raffle ticket, ours are 50p, and we have lovely prizes. SOW basket is the donated fruit for biggest loser that week. I help people a lot at class and enjoy that. I've met useful people I wouldn't have met otherwise. You're not only paying for class, you're paying for access to a data base of SW online. You'll always get people talking of negatives and not positives ;) x

Yeah that's it we pay for access to lifelineonline too. That helps as put my weigh ins on and I can see the line going down every week lol and also the lovely recipes and other info. Love having access to it.

systema said:

Personally I can't see the point in joining online, the database is available to group members along with the 'database' of head knowledge from your consultant and group!
For example one lady was lamenting that she always fell off the wagon because of late night snacking, the group encouraged her to make herself a tray of free and superfree snacks well in advance. It may sound too easy but she then started getting really good losses, simply because she was reminded that SHE was in control, that others have gone through the same stuff too.

systema said:

I love my class! We have a mixture if EE, Green and Original slimmers and they are all treated fairly! In fact a lot of my group swap and change to keep the variety! SOTW basket is always full of stuff not fantastic but its the certificate, fridge magnet and sticker that are the most rewarding anyway! Plenty of genuine praise, plenty of encouragment! People you can relate to, people that bring a new approach! Lots of laughs and a motivation for the week that I cant put into words! Plus you get loads of certificates to fill your kitchen with :)

Dont let anyone put you off class because of horror stories and personal opinion based on a few incidents!

Enjoy your journey and get the most out of your Slimming World Support ;)

ColJack said:

I think it's really sad you feel like this Coljack. I may not buy into the whole thing about finding other peoples weight losses inspirational - but I can definitely appreciate that to loose as much as you have involves some serious long term commitment, and you should be applauded for that. I can't believe you get anything other than praise in your group.

Do you know what, I applaud anyone who wins SOTW, regardless of how big or small they are. It takes effort to stick to plan 100%, and there's not really that many in my group who can admit to doing it. The 3 people who regularly win SOTW in my group do stick to it, no days off, no treat nights, no bits and pieces of kids food etc, so they deserve it.

However, they do have holidays, they do have social events and they do have weeks where, for whatever reason, they do miss group. Therefore they do not always win and it's then won by someone who has maybe lost 1-2lb.

I don't envy anyone the SOTW basket.

I tried the skin care thing - the lady seemed quite pleased with a mini body butter pot! As for reason to stay to group, I'm not a raffle kinda girl, and i can find going round everyone drags a bit but you do get a few good tips, everyone is in the same boat and i find the fact that everyone has their ups and downs reassuring, stops me being too hard on myself, and keeps my expectations more realistic. I've also developed what might be becoming an addiction to peanut hifi bars....

I've been on the other side of this ( you didn't go to my group did you? ) and it's not my fault that I won it most weeks.
I even sabotaged myself on purpose sometimes so that other people could win it for a couple of weeks.
When someone made a comment about me winning it and then went on to describe their weekend of booze and takeaway, when I don't drink and stick to plan most of the time, it really upset me.
It's hard enough being a bloke in class full of mostly women without being hated for something we have no control over. :(

ColJack I have had problems with this too. I have won SOW quite a lot and had sarkky comments from a few of the group calling it "Lucia's fruit bowl" These members kept referring to it and it was from a few women who sit in the corner and call themselves the half a pound club as they gain and lose the same half pound week in week out.I pointed out one week in a very loud speaking voice that everyone has a chance to win the basket but did they also notice that I bought in a large piece of fruit from Waitrose, like a pineapple or such every single week and put it on the raffle table for anyone to win. That shut them up and it's never been mentioned again.

Back