SOTW basket.....can't believe some people!

I wouldnt touch anything with a mouldy bottom ha ha:yuk:

hollys nan said:
I wouldnt touch anything with a mouldy bottom ha ha:yuk:

Ha ha ha, no I should just chuck it.

Last edited:
The SOTW basket yesterday at my class contained ........ 1 yes 1 apple!!!!!!!! until I put in a little folding shopping bag. and it stayed that way,very embarrassing:ashamed0005:,the winner did not stay so it was given to a newbie with a 7lb loss in her first week.

I got 4 mouldy bananas, 3 bruised apples, a tin of bashed chopped tomatoes and a packet of squashed super noodles, I think it's a disgrace what people put in the basket, I tried to sneak out without it but my consultant saw me and reminded me not to forget it lol xx

Sent from my iPad using MiniMins

It is annoying when not everyone brings something in, a piece of fruit cost pennies even a couple of stock cubes, but i don't think the consultants push it enough, i've had out of date stuff before and i mentioned it in group, my old consultant always used to remind people to bring stuff in and tell people off when the basket was low and it is annoying when people who don't bring stuff in win it.

same with the raffle i organise it at my group and the money pays for tea n coffee n juice the same people don't buy a ticket but are always first up drinking tea and coffee that they haven't contributed too! very annoying

and taster sessions! the same people who don't bring stuff are the first up getting plate fulls of food, sometimes i come straight from work so if its a taster session i make something the night before or take something like a new flavour syn free drink eg pear drop cordial and maybe some low syn snacks such as crisps or cereal bars

rant over now ;)

It sure is, I love the stuff!! Can't wait to see what it's like frozen as an ice lolly :drool:

I tried the lemon sherbets one from Tesco, but I wasn't overly keen. I mean, it was alright, but it was just lemon squash. I love the pear drops one though, because it properly tastes of sweets! Going to have to try the Tesco cola cubes flavour too!

you can also make jelly sweets withit

I'm another one who didn't know we were suppose to take stuff along, so I'm glad I've read this thread.
I've got chickens so do you think it would be okay to take 1/2 doz fresh eggs along or should I stick to fruit or veg?

thats a brill idea, we're getting chickens too so i will be taking eggs, i have lots of herbs in my garden i often take a bunch of fresh herbs, maybe next year i'll take them some lean pork chops when the pigs go to slaughter ;)

The SOTW basket is a nice idea, but I don't bother putting anything in now. If I do win, I leave if for the SOTW in the next class to take home. A couple of times the Consultant has reminded me to take it, but I've said I don't need a bowl of manky bananas and a squashed gherkin.

The SOTW basket is a nice idea, but I don't bother putting anything in now. If I do win, I leave if for the SOTW in the next class to take home. A couple of times the Consultant has reminded me to take it, but I've said I don't need a bowl of manky bananas and a squashed gherkin.

LOL! My group was got like that, you kinda got the feeling that people were using SOTW basket to get rid on manky old fruit! The C had to ask people not to bring in mank!

Lol this thread always makes me laugh.

I am gonna be guilty this week as I bought 4 minestrone mugshots and I don't like them so got 3 sitting there lol but the minestrone is free so not that bad!! I put a whole cucumber in last week, when in asda I noticed they were only 50p so bought one to put in. I like to take nice fresh things and don't mind paying 50p-£1 for something to put in it

Our group doesn't even have a basket! We have a fruit bowl for the slimmer of the week, two weeks ago all that was in it was 2 apple, a kiwi and an orange, and it didn't help that that week there were TWO slimmers of the week, all they got were two pieces of fruit each! Then last week I actually brought TWO pieces of fruit because I was feeling generous and everyone else must have been to because the fruit bowl was filled up, BUT of course this happens to be the week the slimmer of the week hasn't stayed so we raffled it off and the winner was someone who'd only joined up again! :eek::p

Playing devils advocate here - why should members provide the SOTW prize when members pay nearly £5 a week to go to the meeting? Yes I know there are hundreds of meetings per week but if they took just one members membership money and bought something decent or gave, say, a Tesco or Morrisons (or any supermarket for that matter) voucher then all this would stop at one go. :bliss:

Better to have a fiver than a basket of rubbish.

I sometimes take a bunch of flowers!!! Something different I guess and the only man at our group is my best mate and he likes flowers!! I would feel bad putting something manky in it!!! Ours is usually really good though.

I'd be gutted if they got rid of the basket. It's not often I win it, but I enjoy putting in new/different things for members to try and don't mind in the slightest spending 50p-£1 in doing so.

Have to admit though, our basket is always pretty good - if it was fully of manky bananas and bashed apples (like most I have read about on this thread) I probably wouldn't be bothered.

Back