Extra Easy Soup - to count or not to count?

KatD90

Hi team :)

I was in a rush for lunch today and grabbed a "glorious skinny soup" from Asda - roast tomato, basil and balsamic vinegar (yum). I'm debating with myself how or whether to count it, as the ingredients are 25% tomatoes, and at least 20% other veg and veg stock etc. However, it also lists (no quantities given) sugar, cornflower and single cream as ingredients. There can't be much of these as it wasn't that thick, and the whole (large) pot was only 210 kcals.

So, should I count a few syns (4-5?) for the naughty ingredients, or syn the whole thing (10.5!) as it was definitely at least 1/3 super free (proses more like 1/2). The only thing that is bugging me is that there were 40g of carbs (30 of which sugars!) which seems a lot. Am doing EE if that helps! Don't want 10.5 syns as I need around 4.5 for my planned dinner and soup won't keep me full til then! Should have got up earlier and made a packed lunch :p

If you're following SW properly you should count the syns as per the whole thing.

I'd count the 10.5 (I assume you've got this from the website) otherwise you're only fooling yourself, you can count it as 4-5 but in reality you've had more syns. If you have 4.5syns for tea & 10.5 for lunch than you're still within your daily syn alllowance.

It really is your call. Obviously, you SHOULD be counting the syns regardless of the ingredients and how good for you it seems. The fact is, you've only spent 210 calories on lunch which is minimal so it's not going to hinder your weight loss even if you're a couple of syns over today. You could always make it up tomorrow and have a couple less syns then?

Last edited:
I agree with happy holidays. Unfortunately on SW soups don't have any free ingredients and should be synned in its entirety but at the same time I see your point on the fact that 45% of it is technically free food. Just to be sure id take it at 10.5 syns, because that's what it is lol.

X

Darn :p I know you're all right really, was just hopeful! Will be good for the rest of today, and if I go over syns tonight I can make up for it tomorrow. 10.5 was for the whole thing, so I guess that's not too bad.

Thanks! X

If it was me I would put it through the syns calc using the 2 biggest ingredients as "free food" ie tomatoes etc and see how many syns it has then and then count it, I can never understand why soup doesn't qualify for free food!
That said I know there will be a barrage of "that's a tweak" posts etc and I'm well aware of that but the point is you have only had 210 cals for lunch which isn't anything at all when you could have had a huge SW grill up as free and a bar of choc for the same syns - bit crazy!

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins

Just to let you know, that ready made soups don't qualify for a free food allowance, so you can calculate them by using the 1syn=20cals :)

Just for future reference KatD90, there's also loads of soup you can have as a HEb, mostly can or 1/2 can but also a couple of the big 600g cartons :)

Thanks for the advice, had already had my HExB so that wasn't an option, but worth bearing in mind for future. I ended up counting it, had a few syns with my dinner and still ended up at 14.5 syns so scraped in another 100% day! Phew x

Back