Soup: where am i going wrong?!

bucksfizz

I have tried to make a vegetable soup today, tried last week too and it just doesn't seem to work!

Today I used an asda fresh veg soup mix, did exactly what it said on the back and it just tasted sour and awful!

Last week I got my own veg and cut it up, boiled it and used veg stock cubes and again it just didnt taste right.

Does anyone have any tips or ideas for an easy soup? :)

Chop up onion and leeks and fry them off with fry light, add in chopped potatoes, carrots and any other veg you like, two stocks (I use chicken for the flavour but if you want to use veg that's fine) then add water and Italian herbs seasoning (in a jar)! I also used to add garlic but I can't have it now due to ibs. Also seasoning with salt and black pepper!

I never find the veg packs very appealing they're always too watery for me! Also don't add too much water to veg when cooking as it will become very watery and tasteless soup! Xxx

depending on what veg you like, one of my easiest and favourites is cauliflower soup - free on whichever plan you're following.....broccoli is good too

As jlt said, frylight some chopped onion, make up a couple of veg stock cubes in a jug - bung in a bag of frozen cauli ( I use cheapo supermarket brand) cover with stock, bit of parsley, chives etc, but I don't add salt whilst cooking as the cubes have quite a lot. simmer 'til soft and whizz in the blender - I like mine quite thick, so normally use about 2pints liquid to a full bag of cauli. salt / pepper once blitzed.

Leek and potato soup -

Cook 2 Leeks and 1/2 clove of garlic in frylight, cut pototoes up in cubes and chuck them in a pan with leek and garlic, add 2 chicken stock cubes with about 1 & pints of water...Leave until softened then whizz up with a tin of butter beans ...Adds a lovely creaminess without any fat x

My favourite is pea and ham soup - free on EE.

Fry onion in frylight, then add veg stock (about 1/2 a pint) and simmer till onion soft. Add 2 large tins mushy peas and stir. Warm through then blend. Season with salt & pepper and add chopped lean ham. Absolutely delicious!!! and mushy peas are superspeed (not superfree).

Have a google search there are about a billion soup recipes that come up. generally all soups can be made SW friendly. Really its only omitting oil for most to keep them syn free. And obviously 'cream of...... ' soups not so good. but its good for inspiration and what flavours and quantites go into making a flavoursome soup :)

My favourite is pea and ham soup - free on EE.

Fry onion in frylight, then add veg stock (about 1/2 a pint) and simmer till onion soft. Add 2 large tins mushy peas and stir. Warm through then blend. Season with salt & pepper and add chopped lean ham. Absolutely delicious!!! and mushy peas are superspeed (not superfree).

That sounds lovely - can just taste this using really well cooked, shredded gammon joint.....yummy

Hellywoowoo said:
Leek and potato soup -

Cook 2 Leeks and 1/2 clove of garlic in frylight, cut pototoes up in cubes and chuck them in a pan with leek and garlic, add 2 chicken stock cubes with about 1 & pints of water...Leave until softened then whizz up with a tin of butter beans ...Adds a lovely creaminess without any fat x

How much water 1 1/2 pints?! Ta xx

I have 2 soups that I make all the time -

Veg Soup - bag of carrot and turnip (the ready chopped one) 2 sticks of celery and 1 leek, add to pan, cover with water, and add a knorr stock pot (the jelly one - such a better flavour) and a good handful of red lentils (speed food ;)) and boil away until veg is nice and soft - blend or leave chunky
This one is also nice for boiling a gammon or ham joint in mmmmm!

NuttyButtSquash, Sweet Pot and Chilli is another fave, roast off squash and pot with some fry light, frylight some onions and chilli (powder,flakes, lazy or fresh) until onions are very soft, and blend together with roasted veg and stock - yummy!

You've all inspired me. I went out to Asda this morning and got some leeks and a bag of those already diced potatoes and diced onion. Currently cooking up a storm :)

Not sure if anyone has posted this one, but i make it for the children at my nursery, its so easy.
Get a frozen bag of casserole veg, bung it in a pan, add a bit of extra frozen sweetcorn and peas to make it a little sweeter, stock powder and loads of pepper.
bring to the boil and keep it there for 15 min and puree with a hand blender in the pan, it freezes really well! and try grilling a chicken breast (im on extra easy) and shreading up and running though the soup, very nice!

Leek and potato soup -

Have to just say a big :thankyou: I made your recipe and I've just finished the last bowl. It's divine and has really saved me snacking on naughty stuff :D

Depends what floats your boat really. You can chuck all sorts in.

Here's one of my faves: (Free on EE or Green - Don't forget to use milk as HEA or syn or just leave out)

Spicy Parsnip and Carrot Soup with Cumin

1 onion
450g parsnips
225g carrots
1 tbsp curry powder
3/4 pint vegetable stock
1/2 pint semi skimmed milk (optional but tasty)
salt & pepper

To garnish: 2 tsp cumin seeds (optional)

1. Sweat the onion in frylight
2. Add parsnips & carrots and cook for a couple of minutes until the veg starts to soften
3. Sprinkle in the curry powder and cook, stirring for 1 minute
4. Stir in the vegetable stock and milk, season with salt & pepper.
5. Bring to the boil then reduce the heat to a gentle simmer and cook for 15-20 minutes until the vegetables are soft.
6. Allow the soup to cool a little, then blend - if the soup is too thick for your liking add more stock or milk.

For all of my soups I follow the basic principles of steps 1-5. Sometimes I omit the curry powder, sometimes I put ground cumin in, sometimes just dried mixed herbs.

You can mix and match whatever you want.

I make a fresh soup twice a week and take a large cup worth into work with me for lunch. I have it with a salad and sometimes 2 ryvita's with dairylea triangles.

Yum!

Lol of course - the other one that i do on a regular ( every few days ) basis is butternut squash and red pepper -

1 average size butternut squash
2 red peppers
1 onion
2pts of veg stock (oxo or the like)
paprika

Halve the peppers and grill until soft and skin is easy to remove - While your doing that sweat the onion and cubes of butternut squash in a pan with some fry light, add the peppers & and a few shakes of paprika until everything is a bit softer then add your stock - boil then simmer for about 1/2 hour and then blend in batches...
I always serve this with crispy potato skins so it feels like a meal instead of a snack ..... (baked potatoes with most of the potato removed and cut into strips, sprayed with fry light and baked on high for about 20 mins) Which means i always have potato/fish cakes when i make this as not to waste the potato

xxx

Hellywoowoo said:
Lol of course - the other one that i do on a regular ( every few days ) basis is butternut squash and red pepper -

1 average size butternut squash
2 red peppers
1 onion
2pts of veg stock (oxo or the like)
paprika

Halve the peppers and grill until soft and skin is easy to remove - While your doing that sweat the onion and cubes of butternut squash in a pan with some fry light, add the peppers & and a few shakes of paprika until everything is a bit softer then add your stock - boil then simmer for about 1/2 hour and then blend in batches...
I always serve this with crispy potato skins so it feels like a meal instead of a snack ..... (baked potatoes with most of the potato removed and cut into strips, sprayed with fry light and baked on high for about 20 mins) Which means i always have potato/fish cakes when i make this as not to waste the potato

xxx

Gosh that sounds amazing! Do I peel the butternut? Loving the potato crisp idea. In fact if I wasn't in bed I'd be up giving those a go!! :D

Ah no dont peel it - the skin goes soft anyways and adds a little thickness to the soup aswell as fibre :) You can always put a bit of chili in it if you want a bit of a kick, just adapt seasonings to fit your mood... Oh and as for the potato's make sure they are cooled for a while or they wont hold together x

Back