Soup: where am i going wrong?!

Hellywoowoo said:
Ah no dont peel it - the skin goes soft anyways and adds a little thickness to the soup aswell as fibre :) You can always put a bit of chili in it if you want a bit of a kick, just adapt seasonings to fit your mood... Oh and as for the potato's make sure they are cooled for a while or they wont hold together x

Ahhh that makes sense. I have a friend coming for lunch tomorrow so I'll make this and let you know how it goes down. Thanks so much xx

I have tried to make a vegetable soup today, tried last week too and it just doesn't seem to work!

Today I used an asda fresh veg soup mix, did exactly what it said on the back and it just tasted sour and awful!

Last week I got my own veg and cut it up, boiled it and used veg stock cubes and again it just didnt taste right.

Does anyone have any tips or ideas for an easy soup? :)

Hiya Hun,

The easiest soup I ever made was tomato:

1 400g Carton chopped tomato
1 Chopped Onion
1 Chopped Carrot
1 Stock cube dissolved in 1L boiling water (I've tried it with chicken, lamb & veg & it's lovely every time)
1 clove of garlic chopped or pressed
Seasoning to taste
Some granulated sweetner
Frylight

Method:

Saute the carrot, onion & garlic in frylight until soft. Add stock and chopped tomato and simmer for 30 mins or until carrots are cooked then blend and season and add sweetner to taste. You can add meat to it on a red day or a tin of beans of your choice on a green day and it's syn free. Easy peasy! :)

Lol of course - the other one that i do on a regular ( every few days ) basis is butternut squash and red pepper -

1 average size butternut squash
2 red peppers
1 onion
2pts of veg stock (oxo or the like)
paprika

Halve the peppers and grill until soft and skin is easy to remove - While your doing that sweat the onion and cubes of butternut squash in a pan with some fry light, add the peppers & and a few shakes of paprika until everything is a bit softer then add your stock - boil then simmer for about 1/2 hour and then blend in batches...
I always serve this with crispy potato skins so it feels like a meal instead of a snack ..... (baked potatoes with most of the potato removed and cut into strips, sprayed with fry light and baked on high for about 20 mins) Which means i always have potato/fish cakes when i make this as not to waste the potato

xxx

Another winner! :eating: Thank you :D
peppersquash.jpg

The only thing I had a slight issue with was peeling the peppers skin. Got there in the end tho. I also added a tsp of lazy chillies for a bit of a burn :)

Im glad you enjoyed it & posted some pics - im not so great with uploading lol grilling peppers is a fine art but alot safer than the way i used to do it (straight on open flame like the chefs do on the telly except mine tipped and in my haste to catch it set fire to a tea towel!!)

x

Back