south beach ...low carb

shell

hates diets
hello, just sneaking in from the cambridge gang....
has anyone on here done south beach???? when ive lost my weight want to maintain with a low carb diet and dont fancy atkins coz of all the fat....

ive been following the south beach diet for 4weeks now, and its great, you get to eat pretty much everything, but in moderation and healthier choices etc, also its not just a diet, its a lifestyle change. i really really feel much better for it.

xx

South Beach is an excellent diet based on sound, scientific principles, with medical advantages, including improved blood chemistry.
As dani said, it's a lifestyle change, and it's easy to follow.
Although I'm "healthy eating" at the moment, my diet is very very heavily influenced by SB.
I'd recommend it to anyone!

~Silence~

Also would recommend it - its basically low-gi - my OH has lost over 2 stone in the last few months following SB, whilst I've been doing W8. I shall be following it as my long term maintenance plan.

They also do a really lovely SB Cook Book

Carol x

thanks everyone....ive got the new version book ...im following cambridge at the moment as i need to loose weight quikc to keep me motivated.....but obviously its not life long!!!!! where will a get a copy of the sb cookbook????? from what ive read it looks really good, is it worth getting a gi counter too.......i cant quite seem to find in it thou how much carbu can have a day...is there a set limit????

I bought the cook book at The Works - but you can get from play.com and amazon. I also bought the Good Fats Good Carbs handbook - which details all main foods woith their carbs and how often you should eat them. Quite useful

Good luck with it

Carol x

There's a couple of cook books and a carb guide. The cookbooks are good! Your restrictions are to be healthy and eat sensibly!!!

When I started low carbing I did south beach and followed it to the letter lost 14lbs in 2 weeks which i never regained...just found it hard to get back into once i fell off the wagon but because it was healthy i felt really good!!

I think at the end of the day you have to choose a diet which is right for you.

I think the best thing about South Beach is really its a way of life, teaching you how to eat properly and healthily, with a view to long term weight loss and maintenance. It's also very flexible, too flexible for some.

Good luck with whatever you choose.

~Silence~

I am currently doing Lipotrim, but aim to go for a low carb (now I know it's carbs that are my downfall) when I get to my target wait as a way of maintaining.

I have bought a few low carb cook books, but most are simply too fancu and too time consuming for my likes. I also NEED to have cookbooks with pictures!

What guides / recipe books can you guide me to for south beach?

Thanks xx

The South Beach cookbooks are good, they do have some pictures of the dishes. Otherwise you just want a low carb cook book I guess.

It's a very liberal diet to be honest... I tend to find that I can easily adapt my meals to suit SB. eg Sunday dinner without the potatoes, wholewheat pasta instead of normal pasta, brown rice instead of white, wholewheat pitta instead of a white bread sandwich etc.
Lots of veg and fruit (from Phase 2) with wholegrain carbs and healthy fats.

The SB cookbooks do actually have a lot of SB twists on normal dishes... which is good because you can still eat your fave foods.

if we have done cd thou and are in ketosis surely we wouldnt have to do phase 1.....i just cant get my head round the phase 2 bit....i dont want to follow a book to dictate what food i can eat i just need a list of what i can what i cant and what the limitations are...and i cant work that out from the book i have. im a good cook and quite adventurous so dont need to foloow receipes as long as i know what i can/ cant use.....when u say you have pasta and rice how much and how often...??? sw red days is all about high protein and lower carb. its all meat fish veg fruit low fat yog etc as free food and only 2 portions of bad carb aday...like 2 slices of wholewheat bread or a jacket spud...does that sound similar to what u do???

In your book there should be a list of "Foods to Enjoy" and "Foods to Avoid" which give an indication of amount to eat as well. Eg Whole wheat pasta 30g. Brown rice 55g.
There should also be a list of sample meal plans for P1&2 which indicate the amount of food. It's not necessary to stick to the plans, they're just examples of meals and amounts.

The Good Fats Good Carbs book is also really good for indicating what foods to eat and to avoid.

Basically my SB diet is low carb, high veg and protein. I only eat a couple of carbs a day. It doesn't sound too dissimilar to red days to be honest.
I guess the whole philosophy of SB is a healthy, balanced diet.

Yes, coming from CD I would skip P1, you don't need it.
Normall moving into P2 from P1 you tend to phase in the carbs.... I honestly do not know to go about coming from CD. I'm guess you'd be ok to start in full blown P2.

If for some reason the Foods to Enjoy list isn't in your book, and you do opt for South Beach when you finish CD, let me know and I'll type it out for you and PM it or something.

~Silence~

cheers chick...im still so undecided on what to do....my mate told me i shoudl do ww , its a diet i know inside and out with no restrictions at all....everything in modertaion as long as its counted in your daily points allowance...im wondering if i should just do that , my head is all over the place had crap time at work and i feel as thou i need a little bit of freedom for a while without ruining all the work ive done so far......

I honestly think it's a matter of deciding on what's gonna work for you... if you're not confident with SB don't do it. You might be better doing something like WW or SW because they have more structure and if you know it, and you're comfortable with it, go for it.
You can always use some of the principles you learned reading SB in WW.

As for freedom... SB is free... sometimes too free. I know people who fell off the SB wagon cos it was too liberal!

Good luck with whatever you do choose to do hun, I'm sure you won't undo all your hard work!!!

~Silence~

cheers chick xxx thanks for all your advice.....ive had the kick up the arse i need today....my goal was 4 stone by dec ive done almost 3 im not gonna let the barstewards at work stop me achieving what i set to do....im gonna hav a restart on cd and shift that stone!!!!!

hope it goes well for you hun. go shift that stone girl!!

I need to ask, how on earth can anyone eat brown rice? No matter how I have cooked it in the past, it has always come out tasting like mushy cardboard!!??

Back