Spa Weekend

kerry b

Silver Member
Well i'm back from my spa get away and I have to say it was amazing. I had reflexology, back massage and a gelac manicure. The facilities were lovely, food was amazing and I loved the treatments but was less than impressed with the "manicure". I get a manicure at the hairdresers sometimes, lovely hand lotion, a wee hand massage, some cuticle treatment, nails filed then painted. Lovely. I get this for free as they only do it when they are quiet so its a real treat. I thought that this was a manicure.

Today my manicure consisted of having my nails filed, cuticles pushed back, base layer, 2 layers of gelac polish and a top coat. No hand lotion, no massage, no cuticle treatment. This cost me £55. To say that i'm p'd off is putting it mildly. When I complained I was told that the treatment didnt include anything other than what I had had done and that the info was in their booklet ( at a second reading it was there but not at all clear to me when I booked the treatment). They then told me that I would have to find a salon near me to have the polish removed in a few weeks time as it needs to be removed by soaking it off, not using nail polish remover. Now feeling a bit cheesed off as this was something else I hadn't realised. I did say it should all be explained before they started but was told it was self explanitary in their brochure (erm, not to me it wasn't). Yes, my nails look great but I feel it was a complete waste of £55. I would expect to pay more for a treatment at a residential spa but I could get the same treatment in Edinburgh for £19. My hairdresser is now advertising this in their window so at least I know where to go to have it removed and wont have to spend ages trawling through the phonebook looking for someone to remove it. I would love to do the whole experience again but wouldnt waste my money on something I could do myself for nothing.

It was a complete rip off but it's more that I didnt get what I was expecting and their literature wasnt all that clear in explaining what the treatment consisted of that has annoyed me. I did complain but was pretty much told that all I needed to know was in their brochure. As I said the overall stay was great but wouldnt bother with anything like the manicure again.

Back