Spicy Quinoa Cake

BritMumInCanada

Gold Member
Just been experimenting this afternoon and made a cake using some Quinoa. I was actually surprised that it was quite nice, really big filling slice for very little syns. Serves 4 [ Ingredients 1 1/2 cups of water 1 cup of quinoa 2 tsp of cinnamon 1 tsp of all spice 1 1/2 cups of fat free vanilla yoghurt 2 oz of mincemeat (5 syns) 1 tsp of vanilla essence 3 eggs 3 tablespoons of brown sugar blend Splenda (3 syns) 1 tsp of baking powder (0.5 syns) Method Preheat oven to 160c or 325f Rinse Quinoa thoroughly.Add 1 1/2 cups of water to a saucepan and bring to the boil. Add quinoa and allow to simmer until all water has been absorbed, approx 15 - 20 mins. Allow to cool down slightly and set aside. Add all other ingredients to a large bowl and mix thoroughly. Stir in cooked Quinoa. Spray a cake tin with some non stick spray. Pour in mixture and bake in the oven until mixture is cooked through and a toothpick entered in the centre comes out clean. I served this cake which works out at about 2 syns for a quarter of the cake with some fresh sliced pineapple and light squirty cream (4 tablespoons for 1 syn). If you have not got any mincemeat, then you could substitute with sultanas, but be aware that the syn value of the cake may change, depending on what measure of sultana's you use. The quinoa is cooked exactly how instructed on the packet, only difference being that I have used it for something sweet instead of something savoury. So for the reason I didn't syn the quinoa. I know there is a big debate about that sort of thing, so the choice is up to you whether you want to syn it or not :p

Last edited:
just found this recipe Britmum using the search function and i will definitely be trying it!! one question though, do you think you could use normal Splenda so it would be less syns? would also mean i wouldnt have to go out and buy any ingredients :p xx

yeah you could use normal splenda, might be a bit bitter like sweetener is sometimes though.

Also this recipe would prob be more syns now, because I imagine you would have to count the quinoa as syns being that it is used for a substitue for flour.

It does make a really spongy cake though and is a lovely texture. Maybe even if you counted the quinoa as syns, remove the mincemeat and use spices like cinnamon and nutmeg etc instead, it might not be too bad syn wise.

I would say you would have to syn that now!

Have some proper cake ;)

It is proper cake actually lol. Quinoa has been used in cake recipes for yonks. It is not a big chocolate gateau though I agree.

Makes quite a big chunky cake, so wouldnt be too bad syn wise for a serving even when synning the quinoa. Is personal preference though I suppose.

I like lower fat alternatives, I find full fat gateau etc too sickening and have to watch certain ingredients anyway because of my PCOS.

If you use 168g of quinoa, take out the mincemeat and use spices as suggested and all splenda instead of sugar blend splenda.

Works out as 27 1/2 syns for entire cake. So 4.5 syns for 1/6th of the cake.

thank you ladies :) im not sure i believe in synning the quinoa just because its being used instead of flour? i dont really believe in the synning fruit when cooked thing either sorry if thats a bit controversial :rolleyes:

i like the texture and sponginess of it from your picture, i might try it with ginger xx

aww Allie i know you talk sense and i know that using things like quinoa and cous cous in cakes and baking is "cheating" :airquote: but in my opinion the only reason that they have syns this way is to try and stop people taking advantage and abusing it, and i promise i will not eat the whole cake in one go, and it will only be a very once in a while treat :) xx

Could I use mashed banana in this instead of mincemeat,? would it sill have a syn value? not attending any classes anymore so have nowhere else to ask.

Back