Sprouting seeds?

Sarah2009x

Hi everyone,

Just got back from a lovely holiday at Center Parcs, where i ate far too much naughty food but nevermind!

Does anyone grow/use sprouting seeds for salads etc? I've decided i would like to try growing some because it looks easy and should make salads more interesting. Any tips?

I grow them. They are easy peasy! I have a plastic propegator box but you can easily sprout them on moistened kitchen roll in a plastic tub (no lid). Alfafa are the quickest :) Dont let them get too wet or dry and spray with a plant sprayer :)

Homebase do a kit, multi layer propagator, and every kind of seed for it.
Cherryade's totally right tho, we used to do alfalfa in a jam jar!

Can I just check - I have always considered sprouting seeds (mixed) to be free on green, but not such a great idea on a red day. Can anyone expand further - syns? use as a HE? free on red?

Sometimes I get a mix of seeds and there are certainly chickpeas, aduki, mung beans, beansprouts etc etc in.

Just checked beansprouts and alfalfa on lifeline online and they're both free on both. I would thing all sprouting seeds are the same because much like baby corn (free on both but sweetcorn only free on green) the carb content hasn't had time to develop :)

Thanks MsBlue - that is very helpful

Back