ss + and ketosis question

bexsyy

Hi everyone, I wonder if someone could give me some advice please.

I started ss 3 days ago. Today I am more hungry than ever and very cold and tired, I have also felt a mild tingle in my hands a few times??..anyway i stopped at the chemist todayfor ketostix and when I tested the reading was +++ so my first question is if I am in ketosis already, why am I sooooo hungry and tired?

My second question is, I am very very tempted to have a ss+ meal! Is this a silly thing to do after managing 3 days? I am not saying I want to sit and eat cake but a little bit of chicken breast and brocoli would light up my world right now :) will it kick out my ketosis though?

Thanks eveyone

Becky

Hi everyone, I wonder if someone could give me some advice please.

I started ss 3 days ago. Today I am more hungry than ever and very cold and tired, I have also felt a mild tingle in my hands a few times??..anyway i stopped at the chemist todayfor ketostix and when I tested the reading was +++ so my first question is if I am in ketosis already, why am I sooooo hungry and tired?

Because ketosis isn't simply about ketones in your urine. It takes your body several days to fully switch over from carb burning to fat burning. So your body's made the switch but it's not liking it yet - it's quite a shock to the system, actually. So that's why you feel so tired. And it's likely that you're hungry because you're tired - your body still wants you to "fix the problem" by feeding it some sugar. Try to tell it "No!" if you can. Over the next couple of days it will get easier, though there will always be times when you feel hungry. The hunger pangs go away quite quickly - the trick is learning some strategies to make sure you don't give in, like brushing your teeth, drinking some water or a cup of herbal tea, having a lovely long bath, that sort of thing.

My second question is, I am very very tempted to have a ss+ meal! Is this a silly thing to do after managing 3 days? I am not saying I want to sit and eat cake but a little bit of chicken breast and brocoli would light up my world right now :) will it kick out my ketosis though?

Thanks eveyone

Becky

It wouldn't kick you out of ketosis. But I would try to resist if you can. There's a reason why it's recommended that if you opt to do SS+ you do it for a whole week at least rather than whenever you feel like it. When it's part of your plan, the plan you set your mind to, it doesn't feel like cheating to have an SS+ meal. But when you just decide to have one because you really really want something, it can feel like cheating. And simply feeling like you've cheated can trigger further eating.

It wouldn't be an utter catastrophe to have an SS+ meal. But you need to be very confident that you'd be able to stop after the chicken breast and broccoli. Does that make sense? Hope so!

Thanks so much lily that was a great reply, really helpful. Unfortunately I have not managed to resist having a little food as I have just been feeling so sick this evening. I had 80g of broccoli and only about 100g of chicken as I felt pretty full and satisfied so didnt fource myself to finish it...maybe I wasnt as hungry as I thought?

Anyway, not feeling like I have cheated and certainly not even considering eating anything else lol just a bit confused about eating so little!

Thanks again :)

Back