Induction Stalls & Weight gain

allybally

Hi I've been doing Atkins on and off for the last 10 years or so and one thing I would love to understand what foods or drinks stall me. I have lost weight on this diet last year for example I lost 26 lbs throughout the year despite having a few breaks for holidays and special occasions. This year I've started the year a stone lighter and since the beginning of January I've lost 6lb and despite sticking to diet rigidly I've added 2lbs in the last 3 weeks. I stick to around 20 carbs a day and for this month I've had no diet drinks , alcohol and cut down my coffee. I do take a lot of cheese and cream and take splenda in my tea or coffee and on Strawberry's when I have them. Has anyone worked out which foods stall them ?

Well done on the weight loss you're already achieved - that's great!

You say you have "a lot" of cream and cheese - how much? Because overdoing cream and cheese will certainly cause weight loss to stall - the latest Atkins book recommends no more than 115g of cheese and 45g of cream per day on Induction, so if you're having more than that, that might be the problem.

As to how you find out what foods you can and cannot tolerate, that's where Phase 2 (Ongoing Weight Loss) comes in. It's a painstaking process but you have to work your way through all kinds of different foods, one at a time for a week at a time, to test how they affect you. If weight loss stops for a significant period, then you know to leave that food alone. (that's a very sketchy description of OWL, btw - really best to read the book!) :)

Thanks for the advice Scrumbles. I have been eating a lot of cheese and cream so I am going to cut them both out for a week or so to see if his makes a difference. I will then try a little of each gradually to see if that makes me stall.

Good luck Ally - it really is trial and error, some people are fine with cream and cheese, others stall - and it's oh too easy to use more than the allowance - measure everything, hun, I know it's a pain but it's worth it :)

3rd weigh in for me today an I've stalled. Having said that I've lost 16lbs so it was never going to continue at that rate. Not done anything different so I'm guessing it will start again when it's good and ready :) x

Thanks everyone for the advice. I decided to cut out cheese and cream for the last two weeks and lost 4lb so they may be responsible for my gain and stall . I am going to introduce cream and cheese slowly so I was wondering how much of each should I introduce at a time?

Well done on the loss, allybally - excellent!

If it were me, I'd say a couple of tablespoons of cream and a couple of ounces of cheese per day only for a couple of weeks and see how you go. Might even be worth doing them separately, one week after the other, to see if there's any adverse effect.

If you get on okay then you could up the cream by another tablespoon and the cheese by another couple of ounces, which would be in line with the recommended limits in the latest book (NANY), but really it's all a case of experimentation and you can only find your personal limits by trial and error. Good luck!

Back