Star Week.

JezVonSavage

Lost in the Supermarket
First of all, I have to say that I find this whole "star week" thing really patronising. I'm an adult and have learned to live with my monthly cycle, I don't see why I can't just call it my period!!?

Anyway, i'm on mine, although i'm having a phantom one coz i'm not actually bleeding; just showing symptons like cramps, back pain and wanting to cave OH's face in with a frying pan. I'm getting weighed today and my home scales are showing i've put on half a pound which is bloody frustrating.

My mum is telling me to take a water tablet but i'd only be lying to myself if I lost. Any other natural combatants for bane of the female existance?

Or, cheer me up by telling me your favourite period related euphemism. My bff always calls it "flying the Japanese flag", haha.

You're not alone - I think it is ridiculous in this day and age that we can't use the the word period in case it offends. While we still talk about these normal bodily functions in whispers and use euphemisms like this, it will continue to be thought of something dirty and nasty to be ashamed of.

Sorry you're feeling crap x

:8855:OMG you had me in stitches with that post!!!

I dont have periods at all (havent for about 2-3 years due to my pill) but when i used to get them, i was doing rosemary conley, and used the Aquaban tablets (take 2 tabs before every meal) just to help really. I know its not a accurate weigh in, but i felt better for it. Also peppermint/nettle tea works well. But i think the best one ive used in the past is a tea called Slimatee, clears you out both ends ( i dabbled in wrong ways to lose weight before including laxatives)
Im not proud of the past uses but hey its done and ive learnt not to do it now.
So you can either go to WI and accept a 'maybe' gain, or drink peppermint tea to help? Sorry I hope someone else can help you more...

The reason it gets called 'star week' is that when your weight was recorded on pieces of paper (and not electronically) an asterisk was put down beside the weeks where you had a water retention gain as opposed to a 'cake retention' (thanks Vixxster!!) gain.

Ways to beat the bane of the female existence? Try smothering with a pillow if the frying pan doesn't work!!! :D

'Auntie Flo is coming to stay'
'You've got the painters in'
'It's Witch Week'

Me too, I'm never going to use the word 'star week'. WHo are we offending with the word 'period' exactly?

My sister and I call ours 'the ever-flowing axe wound' between us. my period makes me so sad - pain, discomfort and the management of bodily fluids. What's not to love :(

Always remeber - if your OH can't cope with the wonderful moods of your period weeks - tell him this...

Women bleed constantly for 24 Hours a day, for 7 Days, EVERY MONTH AND STILL DON'T DIE!!!! - Be afraid, be very afraid!!!

Lonestitcher said:
Always remeber - if your OH can't cope with the wonderful moods of your period weeks - tell him this...

Women bleed constantly for 24 Hours a day, for 7 Days, EVERY MONTH AND STILL DON'T DIE!!!! - Be afraid, be very afraid!!!

I love this :) x x

Hope you feel better soon! I just drink loads of water to combat the retention and sulk until it passes :D Chin up - you'll have a good loss next week to make up for it!

You're not alone - I think it is ridiculous in this day and age that we can't use the the word period in case it offends. While we still talk about these normal bodily functions in whispers and use euphemisms like this, it will continue to be thought of something dirty and nasty to be ashamed of.

I reckon it's less that people don't use it in case it offends others, and more that lots of women are embarrassed - so prefer a euphemism. I think it's a bit cutesy, but I don't really see anything wrong with it if it makes people feel more comfortable discussing their periods and the weight-loss issues it can cause.

Heh, the b/f complains that I call it my period and says theres no need to use silly words for it, why dont I just say Im menstruating? :D Just too many damn syllables you oik! (Followed by a smack in the head with said frying pan :rolleyes: )

I kinda dont mind the smaller losses when Im on because it means Ive got more chance of a big fat loss the week after when its all gone :D Bit like that curry t'other night really, I was a bit bummed I STS instead of losing the 3 lb I had off the day before but I thought Sod It, thats 3lb to add to next week's chart... :whistle:

I've had womens problems since I was 16 & around that age I was sent from one Dr to another discussing it all, plus operations & internal scans, not what I wanted at that age so I hate mentioning periods, it just reminds me of all my problems.

But a period is a period, star week sounds almost nice & mine certainly aren't! Lets call things by their proper names aye SW? ;) hehe

Over here we woulda said that your granny was coming to stay.... Or the painters and decorators are in, lol! Or rag week....yuck!!! ;-)

My friend says she got her present! Present :confused:

Never has one been less wanted :rolleyes:

Unless you're hoping that you're not pregnant, so it could be the best present ever in that situation! :D

My ex made the mistake of calling it 'builders' instead of 'painters' so I call it that (it made me LOL) or 'blobbing' (no idea why!)

no, what's scarier is the ageing hippy I know who saves it in a silicone cup and feeds it to her houseplants as a monthly gift.... ok, I use a cup* but I don't save the minging stuff!!!! *shudders*

*I am allergic to a lot of femenine hygene products, this was the first thing I found I didn't react to. it's disgusting, but worthwhile.

Mine get worse the older I get. The worst thing though is that when my oh realises I have my period he often says "oh, now I understand why you have been Mrs Angry for the last five days"...........This never annoys me or makes me want to slice his limbs from his body or microwave his head or scrub his brain with vim.

Flibsey said:
no, what's scarier is the ageing hippy I know who saves it in a silicone cup and feeds it to her houseplants as a monthly gift.... ok, I use a cup* but I don't save the minging stuff!!!! *shudders*

*I am allergic to a lot of femenine hygene products, this was the first thing I found I didn't react to. it's disgusting, but worthwhile.

Oh my God!!! She does what???????? Yuck yuck yuck but hahahahaha!!! :) yea, I've one them cup jobs this past couple of years.....it's gross but fab :)

Back