Started At Last - John_T's Tale

I am having my mid-morning snack .... another *bleep* *bleep* milkshake. How I hate milkshakes :sigh:

Just passed one-third of my targeted weight loss :bliss:

3.7lb lost in the week so a slowing from my ~5lb a week average. Still heading in the right direction and managing to stick to the diet.

I have just ordered another 4 week box (plus a fifth week free) from Weight-to-Go. This time I have adjusted the box and all the soups will be pea and ham and all the shakes will be vanilla! I have made one change with the meals substituting the mushroom bourguignon for the spicy dhal.

I quite enjoy the W2G meals but do spice them up to give more variety, lime pickle, peri-peri sauce, wholegrain mustard and for some meals and soups fresh coriander.

I have been building up my fitness by walking and in another month I intend to start at the gym. I would like to cycle but as I live in an apartment in London it is not easy to store a bike without taking up a lot of space in my spare bedroom. Perhaps if I get an old second-hand bike and chain it to a tree or something it might work!

On reflection I am so glad I finally started but still angry about the way I let myself get overweight in the first place! The anger helps me focus on my target that's for sure.

Just about to make breakfast ... a milk shake :sigh: and a piece of fruit ... I will probably blend them together to make a smoothie.

My struggle with the milk-shakes continues, I am all vanilla now which is an improvement, even so I have tried everything including freezing them!

The breakfast time shake is the one which really gets to me so I replaced it with a low calorie protein bar from a bodybuilding suppplement supplier. It has similar nutritional properties as the Weight to Go shake and I feel much happier in the morning as a result :)

Last edited:
Seven weeks in and still progressing :)

The weekly weight loss has settled down to around 3lb a week; which seems to be about right using these assumptions.

a = (Steady State) = 2500 Cal * 7 days = 17,500 Cal

b = (Calorie Intake) = 1000 Cal * 7 days = 7000 Cal

a - b = c = (Calorie Deficit) = 10,500 Cal

Calories in 1lb of fat = 3,500 Cal

Theoretical weight loss = c / 3,500 = 3lb

Last edited:
On the Weight to Go diet, three milkshakes a day form part of the programme. I really struggle with these so looked around for a solid alternative.

Having once been very fit (believe it or not!) and with knowlede about weight training I decided to look at bodybuilding supplements.

I found a 60g bar called Promax Meal made by Maximuscle. Despite the unappetising name the bar is pleasant to eat being a chocolate orange flavour. The protein component is a mixture of whey and milk proteins as against milk protein only in the milkshake. Half a Promax Meal bar (30g) compares very well to the Weight to Go milkshake and is a good alternative when you really can't stomach a milkshake (I particularly find them a struggle at breakfast and mid-morning). The comparison is given below:

Weight to Go Milkshake: Energy 125 Cal, Protein 10.5g, Carbohydrate 14.9g, Fat 3.5g.

30g Promax Meal portion: Energy 101 Cal, Protein 10.8g, Carbohydrate 14.2g, Fat 2.7g, Fibre 2.8g.

The only downside is the price but for my peace of mind it is worth it!

Last edited:
You've done absolutely fantastically so far, massive well done to you!! Well done for sticking with the milkshakes/finding better alternatives, and not just giving up on them. I wish I could get that same focus and determination for 4 weeks: I get it for one week then lose it, then get it back. gaah. Anyway, I'll look forward to seeing how you get on.

Ellie thank you :) even though I am feeling fitter and already look 100% better, comments like yours really help because this is still quite a tough thing to do mentally.

Hey my 50th post :whacky068:

What extra's do I get?

I think you get to have a lil avatar picture under your name, plus photos in your album? Oh wait maybe that is you get to see other people's photos.

Two milestones today :D I have lost three stones and have reached my first target of 250lb. I am now the same weight as I was five years ago and still heading in the right direction.

Last edited:
Well done!! I think you are doing great - I think the bars were a fantastic idea, if it works better for you its ideal!

Glad to konw you're doing well! :)

2.5lb lost last week and 5lb the week before; I don't understand why I lost 5lb it seems a lot for a week and at this stage of my challenge.

Weekends remain hard, I went to watch rugby on Saturday and despite all the p*ss taking I stuck to drinking diet Coke. Boy did I want a pint of cold lager though.

The next morning I went on what is now a rare trip to the local supermarket to buy coffee and flavoured "teas" .... they had just taken chickens out of the rotisserie ... I bought a small one and ate the whole thing when I got home along with half a jar of pickled onions!! It was just the best thing ever :D

I am heading overseas for two weeks on a business trip, it will be hard sticking to a diet and avoiding alcohol ... I hope I don't do too much damage!

Hi John,

You have done ever so well on your diet and are half way there.

If you feel tempted just try and ask yourself is it worth it!

Try and pick low carb meals like steak/fish/chicken, loads of veggies and side salad...

I hope you have a lovely time over seas!

Well done on your brill weight loss!:happy096:

Love Mini xxx

Thanks Mini, half-way I can hardly believe it! It has helped coming on here from time to time to realise I am not the only one and to read the accounts of people who have shed the pounds.

Thanks for the advice funnily enough I have been so single minded about this weight loss I actually feel a bit anxious about the trip! Silly really as I now have a better idea of how to eat correctly and if I do pick up a few pounds I am confident I can lose it.

Last edited:
4lb lost this week, which is better than the 2.7lb and 2.5lb of the previous two weeks. It will be twelve days before I can weigh myself again ..... panic!!

Just spotted your diary, wow, you have done fantastic.

looking forward to see how you coped on your trip. Sure you will be fine as you seem pretty focused.

Next goal isn't too far off:D

Hun, even 2.75lb and 2.5lb are great weight losses: you're technically only supposed to lose that much per week anyway! But fantastic that you're on a roll with it. Good luck with going away, sure you'll be fine. As you said you now have the skills to lose it again.

Back