Starting 2morrow... a few questions.

supermummy

Hiya,
Ive tried cd in the past and have lost weight on it but this time round cant get myself to face the shakes hence Atkins.

Im brand new to Atkins and due to start tomorrow. Ive had a little read around the threads but still a few things are not very clear and it would be great if you experts can help me out please.

1- When measuring the veg, do i use a mug or a little cup.
2- Can i make soups as long as i stick to the allowed list of foods. ie:creamy mushroom n chicken soup....(sounds too good to be true)
3- Ive read sugar free jelly is allowed... is there a specific type and can i have it when i start or do i have to wait to get to a later phase??
4- How much can i expect to lose in a month? Like the shake diets will i be able to lose a stone in a month.
5- Do you get constipation on Atkins??? Can i have flaxseed (linseed) for this?
6- Can i have flavoured water?

and finally, hope you guyz can help me out in this one. Im very sceptical about this diet.... I feel having butter, cream, cheese etc.. cant possibly result in weightloss could it? I guess i just need someone to reassure me that it does work....!

Cant wait to be a part of the Atkins group now. Wish me luck guyz....

Sara xx

Last edited:
It is Saturday and most people are out shopping. Most regulars on this thread are not present because they are busy with their families, doing other things. Not everyone viewing feels sufficiently Atkins-savvy to answer so many questions.

I am no expert despite having lost a lot of weight but how much you lose depends on how heavy you are to start with. Weight loss is fast at first but then slows as it does on any diet. The main difference with Atkins is that you eat, quite a lot, and still lose.

Kitchen scales may be best for weighing and measuring vegetables and other foods. Cup sizes can be misleading.

The best thing to do at this stage is to read the Sticky at the top of the page. This gives very valuable advice about starting Atkins. I cannot recommend the books too highly, particularly the 2002 Dr Atkins New Diet Revolution. This can be found in any bookshop or in the public library. Amazon and eBay also stock Atkins books.

Good luck.

hi there sara and welcome to atkins, its fab i love it.
im on day 20 and no expert but i can tell you that it does work i was the same as you thinking how can it possibly work eating cream, cheese butter etc but ive lost 8 1/2 lb in 2 weeks and im happy with that.
i have sugar free jelly with cream every night , i use hartleys that you make yourself...love it:D
as far as measuring the veg allowed i go by the carb count on the packet or weigh the likes of cauli brocolli etc.
i di cd but just found i used to get to day 9 and then binge and would put back on most of what i had lost spent most of last year doing it and it was so depressing:sigh: but since starting this ive had no desire whatsoever to binge and it feels great, think ive finally chased those little food demons away lol
im not sure what the average weight loss is but for what you can eat i would be happy with any loss, going do it slowly so i dont pile it back on again!!
good luck on your atkins journey and keep posting

love Jo xx

It is Saturday and most people are out shopping. Most regulars on this thread are not present because they are busy with their families, doing other things. Not everyone viewing feels sufficiently Atkins-savvy to answer so many questions.

I am no expert despite having lost a lot of weight but how much you lose depends on how heavy you are to start with. Weight loss is fast at first but then slows as it does on any diet. The main difference with Atkins is that you eat, quite a lot, and still lose.

Kitchen scales may be best for weighing and measuring vegetables and other foods. Cup sizes can be misleading.

The best thing to do at this stage is to read the Sticky at the top of the page. This gives very valuable advice about starting Atkins. I cannot recommend the books too highly, particularly the 2002 Dr Atkins New Diet Revolution. This can be found in any bookshop or in the public library. Amazon and eBay also stock Atkins books.

Good luck.

Thanks babes. Ive read the sticky and it has cleared out a few questions but still confusion on some. Your right though, people are maybe out n about as its saturday.... I guess im just being a little impatient and just dying for some reassurance...lol.

Welcome Supermummy

You will find that this forum is more busy in the week.

I can answer a few of your questions as I have been doing this way of eating for quite a few months.

• Measuring - some people use a large coffee mug. I weigh all of my foods. I use the website fitdaycom to add my net carbs up for me.
  • As long as the ingredients for soup are legal induction foods then I do not see why not.
  • Do not know about sugar free jello.
  • How much do you weigh? the heavier you are the more you can lose on induction.
  • I have not been constipated on Atkins, but people do use psyllium husk for this. (Check past threads for info).
  • Yes you can have flavoured water. Check ingredients.
  • Read your book again and again.
Their are stickies at the top of the page, read these and past threads and you will be full of info in a few days!

Again Welcome :D

Thanks for the welcome hun :)
I dont have the book, but i think im gonna go buy it tomorrow now. Thanks for answering some of my questions though and a s youve said ill have a good read of the threads.

xx

hi there sara and welcome to atkins, its fab i love it.
im on day 20 and no expert but i can tell you that it does work i was the same as you thinking how can it possibly work eating cream, cheese butter etc but ive lost 8 1/2 lb in 2 weeks and im happy with that.
i have sugar free jelly with cream every night , i use hartleys that you make yourself...love it:D
as far as measuring the veg allowed i go by the carb count on the packet or weigh the likes of cauli brocolli etc.
i di cd but just found i used to get to day 9 and then binge and would put back on most of what i had lost spent most of last year doing it and it was so depressing:sigh: but since starting this ive had no desire whatsoever to binge and it feels great, think ive finally chased those little food demons away lol
im not sure what the average weight loss is but for what you can eat i would be happy with any loss, going do it slowly so i dont pile it back on again!!
good luck on your atkins journey and keep posting

love Jo xx

Thankyou so so so much for telling me it does work...lol. It feels so reassuring to know that youve been on cd in the past and now on atkins and have had the same doubts etc...

Congrats on the brill loss... hope i can do as well as you have and also get rid of those binging demons for good ;)

Jelly n cream everynight.... sounds so naughty. Just the thought makes me feel like im committing a sin...lol. It all just sounds too sinful in terms for helping to lose weight. Hopefully ill be more confident about it after wk1 :)

Keep goin girl!
x

Good luck to you sara, not that you will need it, if i can stick with it and not stray anyone can lol!!
jelly and cream is so naughty but legal and i love it , ive even had it for my breakfast haha :) another naughty but legal thing is pork scratchings ( if you like them as i know they are an aquired taste!)
honestly though sara it does work just not as quick as cd or ll ;)

happy first day tomorrow, enjoy it and get your sugar free jelly in the fridge ready haha

jo xx

Super I have lost 140 pounds. Yes, ten stones. So low carbing not only works, it is the best!

I lost a few of those stones by eating less and exercising more, then a few on CD, but the rest are low carb/Atkins losses. I love the way we can eat on this plan and I think you are going to just love it.

Hi supermummy and welcome! I'm sure you'll get on just fine. I've only been on Atkins a week and keep having to pinch myself that i'm eating such good food and losing weight.

I bought a set of cup measures from Asda, they were £1.98 but mostly as someone else said i just weigh out the veg and salad.

Have 1.5 stones to lose. Weigh in day is tomorrow but i KNOW i've lost from the way my clothes feel.

Haven't been constipated but (sorry if it's too much info folks!) have been less often - every other day instead of every day. I have a supply of Psyllium Husks just in case.

I got the e-version of the Atkins book online from Waterstones and just downloaded it that evening. Only disadvantage of that is that its then stuck on your computer - you can't stick it in your handbag or tuck yourself up in bed to read it haha

Stick to the plan, as Jim says green, leafy veg. Keep it simple and drink loads of water and it'll work.

Follow the advice and help available on this forum.

All the best

Hey Supermummy,

Welcome to Atkins.. I can't recommend this WOE enough, you don't feel like your 'dieting' it is all about a new way of thinking about food.

So far this month I have lost 21lbs & still one day left to go!

Good luck.x

Hey Supermummy,

...I can't recommend this WOE enough, you don't feel like your 'dieting' it is all about a new way of thinking about food.

You hit the nail right on the head there ditzee i feel i could eat like this forever - never said THAT about a diet before. As you say it's a WOE not a diet :)

On of the most important things is to drink loads of water. 8-10 glasses a day would be great. For me it prevents the headaches and nausea you can get from switching eating patterns. The American Atkins site is free and a wealth of information as well as here. Good luck

Hi sara and welcome love,

what questions do you still have?

Back