Starting to Panic!

bmthsue

I have my weigh-in first thing tomorrow morning and I'm starting to panic that I will have put on weight. I've stuck to the plan so no problem there, but when I did a ketostix this morning it was on the 2nd to lightest colour so I'm not as heavily into ketosis as I was. Do you think I should be worried that I'm coming out of ketosis or is this a normal reading. I'm sure I'm just being a worry-wort (I always need something to fret about!), but I really don't want to undo the good I've done so far. Please can someone who knows about these things put my mind at rest!!! Thanks!

I have my weigh-in first thing tomorrow morning and I'm starting to panic that I will have put on weight. I've stuck to the plan so no problem there, but when I did a ketostix this morning it was on the 2nd to lightest colour so I'm not as heavily into ketosis as I was. Do you think I should be worried that I'm coming out of ketosis or is this a normal reading. I'm sure I'm just being a worry-wort (I always need something to fret about!), but I really don't want to undo the good I've done so far. Please can someone who knows about these things put my mind at rest!!! Thanks!

Okay...don't panic. It'll be fine.

Ketostix don't always tell the whole story.

Any shade of pink means you are in ketosis. Mine never showed any pink at all :D

You don't lose more weight by being in ketosis. Ketosis just helps with the hunger.

Does that help? :)

That helps a lot - thanks! I thought that I had to be in ketosis to maintain good losses, so am now quite relieved! Will stop panicking and try to remain calm before I weigh-in!!! Thanks again.

It is impossible to put weight on if following the diet 100% ... your be totally fine at weight in and get a lovely surprise i bet !
As KD said any pink on the sticks means your in ketosis i think the water can dilute it so it’s stronger 1st thing in the morning and gets lighter as you drink more

That helps a lot - thanks! I thought that I had to be in ketosis to maintain good losses,

Yes, but only in a roundabout way. Ketosis helps to keep you on track (reducing cravings and hunger), but it's the very low calorie aspect that makes the fat loss.

Don't put too much store on the stix. They can be a real pain in the neck sometimes.

Best of luck for your weigh in!

Well I've learnt something today-I never realised that the ketosis was only to help with the hunger-I was convinced it was the ketosis that burnt off the fat.

Well I've learnt something today-I never realised that the ketosis was only to help with the hunger-I was convinced it was the ketosis that burnt off the fat.

Yes and no. Ketosis does indeed burn fat, but then you burn fat on any calorie reduction programme.

Weight loss depends on how many calories you are eating more than anything else.

Of course, if you reduce carbs, there is more of a chance that you are taking adequate protein (lose from one macronutrient and you will make up on either/both of the other two...fats or protein).

CD keeps protein adequate, so less chance of lean mass loss compared to some non ketogenic diets.

Being in ketosis makes a very low calorie intake possible, otherwise you would go wild with hunger, but this could be more to do with the adequate amount of protein rather than ketosis itself. Also if a person is insulin sensitive, their body is more likely to work well with low carbs and help with cravings, which will make it possible to manage the diet.

Losses of both keto and non keto are virtually the same, but that is cancelling out the glycogen loss at the beginning of the diet which is put on at the end.

Early research showed a quicker loss with keto diets in the first few weeks, because the glycogen factor wasn't taken into account.

There's another bit to consider too. Many people on keto diets tend to have more energy, and so they are more active throughout the day, and raise their metabolic rate.

But...for some people it has the opposite effect, and they are more active on a higher carb programme. So, it really does depend on the person as far as metabolic advantage is concerned.

Oh and yes...there's more :p Some people feel that if they are in ketosis, then they will definitely be losing weight. Again, it depends on calorie intake. They will be burning fat, but if they are taking in more than maintenance calories, they'll be storing it too, so could in fact gain weight just like excess cals on a non keto diet.

The fact that satiety is blunted somewhat on a higher protein diet, means it's less likely they will consume too many calories.

Assuming we all only eat because we are hungry ;)

Think that's it :D :D

Wow KD thanks for posting that. You learn something new everyday and I just learnt a little more

Wow, great information KD, thanks. Best wishes for your weigh in Bhtmsue, Im sure you will have done well!!

Thats really really interesting KD - thanks very much!! xxx

Really ,i think people place too much emphasis on ketosis, As KD said, you can still lose weight and not be in ketosis. Ketosis just gives you that feel good factor. i have never used a stick to check but i know im in ketosis. even if i wasnt and still lost my 3st, I wouldnt worry. you shouldnt worry either. it is good to be in ketosis to help get through the diet but not essential. good luck

My CDC told me that any of the pinks show ketosis and that the darker it is means you are more dehydrated so I should be aiming for the 2nd or 3rd shade, and if I am darker it is not that I am more into ketosis, it is just that I need more water. So you sound about right to me. But to be honest I bought the things, and apart from the first few days where I was constantly using them, I figure if I am doing the diet right, I can't not be in ketosis, so don't bother with them now.

Back