Stepping into the world of buttternut squash...

scraggyanna

Will I like it??

For some reason I've never tried it - I love sweet potato, but hate the smell of pumpkin - what are the chances that I'll like it?

I'm going to do this Sainsbury's online groceries - Slimming world adapted obviously - ie. no oil, less cheese and proper bacon with the fat cut off instead of streaky!

Also, any ideas what I could serve it with?

Hi i clicked on the link and took me to sainsburys homepage so not sure what it is?

Just to say i had never tried butternut squash but i now love it and i dont like pumpkin!

I make a lovely free soup with it too

-2 carrots - 2 sticks of celery - 2 medium onions - 1 butternut squash - 200g smoked bacon - 2 cloves garlic - 2 chicken or veg stock cubes

- basically peel and cut everything up nice and small and fry up in a pan with some fry light untill the onions are soft.

- mix the stock cubes with boiling kettle water making 1.7 litres then put into the pan and bring to the boil, then simmer untill the veg is cooked.

-once cooked blend it all so nice and smooth

- its really lovely i keep it in the fridge and have it for my lunch!!

I love BNS and dislike pumpkin!

BNS is a staple food in my house now - I have it roasted, in veg stew, spicy BNS soup etc etc. I love it :D

Ooh - I'm excited to try it - I'll definitely try the soup if I like it.

I've baked the butternut squash in the oven until soft and then I will fluff it out and mix it with a mixture I have made of onions, bacon, tomatoes, mushrooms, thyme, parsley and paprika, then cover with cheese and put back in the oven to brown.

The original mixture had oil, streaky bacon and lots of cheese so I've just adapted those.

hmm let us know how that works out - I have the biggest BNS imaginable sitting here and am looking for something new to do with it!

I love bns chips done in oven with some paprika on them or just using it as a mash or mixing it with potatoes so half and half and topping shepherds pie with it for change. I love the bacon and bns risotto in the Extra Easy Cookbook its so lush.

I discovered butternut squash about 2 weeks ago; I think it tastes like sweet potato and my husband likes it and he thinks he is allergic to vegetables!!! I always have it as BNS chips, I have only used it roasted but it is now a staple item on my shopping list each week!

Try it, you might like it!

Wedges sprinkled with cajun seasoning and roasted until nice and slightly charred. I have BNS probably 2-3 times a week at least and more if I'm trying to stick with all red days. It's a godsend and great substitute for potatoes!

Try it in a casserole first to see if you like it, I have had a veggie casserole today with BNS in it, and it was really lovely.

OMG I love BNS!!! My fave way of eating it is roasted with some salt, pepper and fresh chopped rosemary. I also love it in a soup with chicken stock, garlic, chilli, curry and a bit of sweet potato. Delicious!

I also have to try this as it's one veg I've never tried. Just a question, to do the chips do you also have to boil them or microwave them first? May sound like a silly question, but do you have to remove the skin? Thanks!

Editing as I found the answer on another thread...No need to boil first and can leave the skin on :)

Last edited:
And its a £1 for a massive one at sainsburys!! i told my oh to get the bns and he came back and they were bigger than my cat!! bargain!! and they dont need to be put in the fridge if you dont tear the skin woohoo!!

Bacon and BNS risotto - delicious! xxx

What did we all do before butternut squash appeared in the shops!!!

Our favourite is the Chilli and Butternut Squash Risotto recipe from the 100 Comfort Foods book - although we do find it better to roast the diced butternut squash first.

Back