Stitching Bug?

Mixedspice, you have the right idea, doing cross-stitch or any hobby will take your mind off food, when I start quilting everything goes out of my head including all my stress, hobbies are the best and my quilting is my life saver :D

I've taken up cross stitching now to stop me from snacking.
The last time I did cross stitch (using Binca), was over 40 years ago when I was in the infants.
The project I am working on is an african dancer - the pattern is in CrossStitcher magazine, issue 225. I've almost finished it, I just have to complete the borders.
I bought all the floss, needles, etc from ebay - so much cheaper than the local haberdashers.

I have also bought a kit from Sew and So (Apache wedding blessing by Janlynn), but there are so many threads to sort, I think I'll attempt this one when I'm more experienced! I first saw this kit over 10 years ago and have always wanted to sew it.
Cross stitch is great to take your mind off wanting to snack, I find that too! Sounds like you've done some lovely designs, I know the African dancer one you mean, its lovely I have a gorgeous kit of an Indian girl to complete, its really colourful and pretty and got beads on too :)

I hate it when the kits come and you have to sort the threads yourself, its so time consuming (takes your mind off food though I suppose :p ) but I always think that for the price you pay for a kit like that it should be pre arranged for you anyway.

I'm going to get my exercise done this evening and then gonna get my stitching out and try to get some rest from my mother who has done my head in all afternoon by talking crap :D I also want to read some more of my Elvis book as its quite an interesting read

Miss Mango you've got me thinking about adding some beads to my African dancer. Thank you for the idea!
I love reading, but with the cross stitch, I can't read as much as before. I have now found a compromise, I listen to audio books and am listening to The Death List by Paul Johnston at the moment. I listen to it at work and when I take the dog out for her walks.

i lOVE cross stitch,,,., am doing 2 atm.. one of tintagle post office,, the other is a printed on fabric birth sampler for a friend.. but i find it hard so have to just do little bits lol
I am also about to teach myself to knitt once i get the books / bits... ready to learn to make jumpers :)

I really enjoy criss stitch, I find it very theraputic and agree it keeps you mind off picking!
I am making lots of christmassy bits at the mo to make cards for my friends and family etc...

Miss Mango you've got me thinking about adding some beads to my African dancer. Thank you for the idea!
I love reading, but with the cross stitch, I can't read as much as before. I have now found a compromise, I listen to audio books and am listening to The Death List by Paul Johnston at the moment. I listen to it at work and when I take the dog out for her walks.
Oh brill, if theres anything I love its being an inspiration for an idea for someone! Let me know how your African dancer comes on with the beads hun, I bet it looks amazing! Thats the cool thing with cross stitch, you can customise your designs as well!

Hey thats a great idea with the audio books, bet it helps to take your mind off walking a long way, I might try that too and try to get walking further, I love walking but sometimes when the miles rack up I get bored - with an audio book I might not think about it so much!

We should start and post pics of our completed cross stitch, it will be interesting to see everyone elses work.

hey i'm a newbie to cross stitching although i do have a wee kit with a thread roller, loads of threads, lil sisors etc although every one that i've tried (except a tatty teady bookmark) i've got half way thru, not went back to it for a few days and got a bit confused and not finished it, anyone got any tips for someone starting out? :)
xxx

Back