Strength & cardio

anna_vixen

Gold Member
How much of each should you do? Should you alternate the days I.e; do 1 day strength and 1 day cardio or mix it up on the same day?
Any advice would be a great help!! Xx

You should definitely do strength traning one day apart. Its also an idea to do cardio one day apart - in the beginning anyway. This is to give the respective parts of the body time to recover. In the beginning (as I'm assuming you are) there's not really much point going above 3 days for each (spaced apart) as it can actually be detrimental to you. 30mins to an hour each day is ideal for cardio. Once you've become a bit fitter you can up that (indeed its probably a good idea to, to shake your body up and prevent that dreaded plateau)Its also important to have a rest day. Alot of people when they start out (and I was one of them) is to do too much to soon. Take it easy and build up to it.

These websites will explain all you need to know:
Hussman Fitness
Free Diet Plans at SparkPeople

Sparkpeople (once you join) will also piece together a strength training programme for you, which is fully customizable.

I'm not new to cardio at all, have been exercising for about 3 Years, however I have recently joined a gym and left to my own devices with weights etc. I just needed some guidance.

Thanks for the info I'll be sure to check it out xx

Sorry I didn't mean to suggest that you were! Sorry.

Hmm if you've been left to your own devices with the free weights it may be worthwhile paying for a few personal trainer sessions to see what they recommend for you to reach your achievements? Alternatively, there are a tonne of good bodybuilding websites which have a tonne of info for those who don't know where to start with their strength training programme.

This is a good one
Muscle & Strength - Huge Muscle Building Site, Store & Community

Sorry I didn't mean to suggest that you were! Sorry.

Hmm if you've been left to your own devices with the free weights it may be worthwhile paying for a few personal trainer sessions to see what they recommend for you to reach your achievements? Alternatively, there are a tonne of good bodybuilding websites which have a tonne of info for those who don't know where to start with their strength training programme.

This is a good one
Muscle & Strength - Huge Muscle Building Site, Store & Community

Noo dont be silly its fine! :D
I had one free personal training session, and we did alot on the TRX, I was aching so much the next day!
I have had a look at the sites you gave me before and have spent some time reading :D Thanks so much for your help hun! xx

I am trying to get into the routine of:

Cardio Session....Day Off....Strength Session....Day Off....Cardio Session

etc

In the beginning (as I'm assuming you are) there's not really much point going above 3 days for each (spaced apart) as it can actually be detrimental to you.

How so? Im fairly new to excercise... the proper way at least, and have really been giving it my all like 6 days a week, so im a little curious as to what damage i could be doing myself, as my results are minimal. Thanks in advance for letting me pick your brain :)

Back