Stress Eating

crrj

Hi,

One of my big challenges is stress eating. When I get stressed I want to eat all the wrong things in large quatnities.
So far on this go of weight loss I've managed to keep it to a minimum, but it is tough. How do others deal with this?

crrj.

Have you tried the elasticband trick? You keep an elasticband on your wrist and when you feel the urge to eat, you ping it to remind yourself - (not that I've tried it myself:D)

I do try to get out for a walk though. It helps calm me down and gives me a moment to refocus. Suppose to help the blood sugars too.

I am exactly the same. I eat mostly in times of stress. Recently I havent been handling it very well, I have to be in the right frame of mind for this diet. I call it 'in the zone' :)

No suggestions how to help other than always eat a pack before you eat. Tell yourself you can have something after the pack, usually by then you wont want too.

Hands up!!!

I am also an emotional eater and go for carbs to comfort me.

So far I have not learnt anything:(

Thought I had, but I have lost the same stone three times since April...maybe more as I have lost count.

Now I am using three CD meals a day and watching what I eat...pointing my food to keep a check on it and doing a food diary and it seems to be working, so far so good.

I like the elastic band idea, it probably works on pressure points???

Will have to try that for sure.

Love Mini xxx

Mini said:
I like the elastic band idea, it probably works on pressure points???
I think it probably works best around the mouth:D

Seriously though....stress eating is such a tough one. I know that when I get stressed and the carbs are calling, I don't want to snap a band or go for a walk, I just want to eat.

Having said that, for me anyway, it's been something I've had to deal with. Reminding myself that eating at these times, doesn't make the problem go away, just prolongs the agony.

They say the cravings only last about 5 minutes, so find something else to do in that time...see if that helps.

Hope you find a solution soon.

Karion Dieting said:
Have you tried the elasticband trick? You keep an elasticband on your wrist and when you feel the urge to eat, you ping it to remind yourself - (not that I've tried it myself:D)

Thats an aul anorexia trick...

I'd be pinging til my wrist bleeds :D

Ivy

Ivy said:
Thats an aul anorexia trick...

I'd be pinging til my wrist bleeds :D

Ivy

And weighing the blood to see how much weight you might have lost? :D

Been reading up on this since the whole Paul McKenna series, and the TFT technique. I can't find it written down anywhere, but the book 'I Can Make You Thin' contains details and I am sure it's on the web somewhere.

Here's an extract of the technique Paul demonstrated:
"If you are feeling a strong craving for a particular food right now and you want to reduce it immediately, just follow the instructions completely and your craving will vanish.
What you are about to do involves tapping on certain acupuncture points on your body. The code for any craving is stored like a computer programme in your brain. By thinking about the food you are craving while tapping on each point in exactly the sequence I am about to describe, you re-set you brain's operating software to bypass your cravings so you can easily get on with your life."
The TFT technique was developed by Dr Roger Callahan and has achieved great acclaim.

Hi QD,

We taped his last TV show, so I must have a look at it again as it was excellent and it did help us...husband has slowed down when eating...now instead of eating his lunch in five minutes, he take about fifteen.
smilie_n.gif

Eating quickly is something else I tend to do, was given the nickname scarfmeister when I worked at a camp many years ago now.

Must admit - I swear by Paul McKenna's system and truly believe that if you want a more "natural" approach to weight loss then it really does work.

However, as regards to emotional eating there really is no short cut apart from to do the "head work" that is needed so that food can be re-prioritised. This can be such an overwhelming thing to do, especially if you really have no idea where to start.

A great website to start you along this road is www.masteringfood.com

Hope it helps...:)

Sorry - hav't a clue how I posted on here. It was meant for another fred. Apologies if anyone read it before I deleted it!

Back