Stressed

Has anyone got any suggestions the best possible diet to start on from scratch, or just a general rule of healthy eating? I have absolute no idea how much calories etc i should be eating, how much exercise i should be doing to help lose the pounds. I'm currently 14stone 5pounds with a height of 5"10 age 22. I love to snack, snack, snack and i love sugary foods. My partner is a fitness freak, yet him nipping my head doesnt encourage me any more, it just makes me dulge into more chocoalte! and i tell myself im fine the way i am as i guiltily eat another sweet or take away and my partner shakes his head at me. i dont have what he has to be able to eat healthy, and go to the gym all the time!

Where do i start?

Theres no reason why you should totally deprive yourself of treats. if youre like me as soon as you get told not to do something - youll want to do it ;)

Have you thought of trying Weight Watchers or Slimming World?? Both are excellent plans and you can incorporate treats into both of them. WW is very flexible if you like take aways (although in moderation ;) ) so you can have a meal out or a treat with a clear concience and totally stick to the plan.

One of them might be worth checking out?? They both have very active boards on Minimins, so you wont be stuck for tips, help and advice :)

It's ok to treat yourself sometimes! Don't feel guilty for having a bit of chocolate, as long as you're only having a little bit & it's a "treat" and not a comfort/emotional eat then you'll be fine. Eat small meals little and often, fruit & veg are really important for your body so dig in. There are lots of healthy and yummy sweet foods that can satisfy your sweet tooth, just try to stay away from sweeties and other empty calories. Remember that you can have anything in moderation. Instead of having a greasy chow-mein (just an example) have boiled rice and cashew chicken or something like that. It's all about making subtle changes! Drink water (you can flavour it if you don't like the taste :)) throughout the day to keep your body happy & reduce your appetite.

If you're wanting to exercise I would ease into it, start at maybe 30mins a day. Just nice and easy exercise to get your body used to it & then you can increase intensity/length as you see fit. Just don't push yourself too hard or try to do too much at once, that usually results in failure, just go slow & listen to your body. Hope this helps. Good luck! :)

If you cant manage a class weight watchers have a good way of doing it online, or you could have a look at weight loss resources too, thats a good way of working out calories and how much you should be eating.

Both WW and SW can be followed online and both have excellent websites. But there's also diets like Rosemary Conley and Scottish Slimmers.

Have you looked to see what is available locally especially if you are like me and need a class.

Meanwhile start keeping a food diary just to see what you are eating and in what quantities. You may surprise yourself

Irene xx

Thanks for the advice guys, I joined weightwatchers in September and lost a stone in a month, i missed one class and that was it, i never went back. I havent put the whole stone back on but i have put 5 pounds back on since then. I have the books, eat, shop and the other one cant remember what it is. Their at the bottom of my cupboard..somewhere. I want to lose weight, but i want to lose weight for me and no one else and in my own time. I feel pressured, and i think stuff him il do it when im ready and eat yet again another take away. Im such a junk food, and sweet tooth kinda person!! too lazy, my dad has recently gave me cookbooks, so i shall have a look through them 2. My friend lost 4stone herself by going by weightwatchers not at meetings or online just because she had the books. but i dunno if i have the willpower.

I have the wii fit, but havent got the motivation to use it all the time.
I do have an airwalker, exercise bike etc in my house which my partner uses all the time plus he goes to the gym. I might join the gym but go myself, shall see..... great start to the new year! lol

Happy New Year Guys :) xx

Hi Claire,

I'm going it alone too. I have all my old diet sheets from a slimming club I used to go to (slimming magazine club), it no longer exists but the diets worked for me then so I'm using them again.

I still have extra calories for treats like chocolate and alcohol, I just wouldn't stick to a diet if I felt I couldn't have anything like that. I try to buy small bars of chocolate like Freddos coz if I bought a big bar I don't have the willpower to just eat part of it.

I also felt I should exercise but I waited till I got used to the diet a bit first before starting. I didn't want to make too many changes at once but that depends on what you feel would be best for yourself.

If you want motivation, have a look around this site, and have a look to see if you can find your ww books, maybe looking at them will encourage you. Good luck.

Tracey

Hiya, Yeah i think i will leave the exercising until a few weeks in and then see what is best. Should i through out all the xmas biccies and sweets first or eat them lol thats bad!! but their sitting in my cupboard!! If the Weather was a better than this lovely snow and icy icy pavements i could maybe encourage myself to walk to work like i used 2 before i passed my test 1yr n half ago! get so so lazy now i drive, i even take the car to the local shop/chinese etc. bad bad me!

Thanks for the advice guys, I joined weightwatchers in September and lost a stone in a month, i missed one class and that was it, i never went back. I havent put the whole stone back on but i have put 5 pounds back on since then. I have the books, eat, shop and the other one cant remember what it is. Their at the bottom of my cupboard..somewhere. I want to lose weight, but i want to lose weight for me and no one else and in my own time. I feel pressured, and i think stuff him il do it when im ready and eat yet again another take away. Im such a junk food, and sweet tooth kinda person!! too lazy, my dad has recently gave me cookbooks, so i shall have a look through them 2. My friend lost 4stone herself by going by weightwatchers not at meetings or online just because she had the books. but i dunno if i have the willpower.

I have the wii fit, but havent got the motivation to use it all the time.
I do have an airwalker, exercise bike etc in my house which my partner uses all the time plus he goes to the gym. I might join the gym but go myself, shall see..... great start to the new year! lol

Happy New Year Guys :) xx

In that case why not join us on the WW section here. Most of us there are going it alone so youll be in good company

I would see what diet you are gona do before you throw stuff away and it'll depend on your will power as well.

I do have treats on my diet so I've put all the stuff left from Christmas, chocs etc in a cupboard out of the way and I take out only what I can have each evening. I'm ok as long as I can't see them (they aren't in the kitchen where they'd look at me they're in the spare bedroom). If them being there is gona make you eat the lot you might be better to give 'em away though especially if your partner wouldn't eat any either.

One of my biggest problems is throwing food away, I have to take a deep breath to do it - hence my signature! I tell myself that everyday.

I started my diet again properly on Saturday after Christmas and I'm back to the exercise tomorrow.

Tracey

its not about eating less food, its about doing cardio, adding a little resistance (e.g. little weights), and eating less fat in your diet. those 3 things need to followed generally, i.e. not 100%...

1 thing will not make you loose weight. people who ONLY diet, some do loose weight, but most of the time they gain it back. you need something natural, and mantainable.

Back