Struggle with 1/3superfree at Breakfast.

shezam

Silver Member
Morning all,

I'm struggling with ideas for 1/3rd superfree at breakfast. I have sausages in the house which I really want to eat but I don't know what to have them with.

Same with bacon/eggs etc.

There is only so much weetabix and banana I can eat, and that also uses my HEXA & B for the day.

I'm always in a rush in the morning, this morning I had mullerlight and banana but it just didn't satisfy me!

Any ideas please?
Thanks xxx

I have a whole tin of tomatoes and a big pile of mushrooms with my sausages and also go nicely with bacon and eggs

Other than that I go for fruit, which I have to change regularly or I get bored. I.e grapefruit, melon, raspberries, banana, strawberries...etc!

My consultant used to say the 1/3 rule doesn't have to apply to breakfast if we can't fit it in. I have 2 fried eggs on toast everyday for break & sometimes I'll have an apple after but more often than not I'm full up so won't eat fruit just for the sake of it, it defeats the point of having the 1/3.

If I'm having just free foods for my main bit of breakfast I make sure I eat a piece of fruit before soI've still got in my superfree.

So today I had some melon fingers and then had poached eggs and bacon on toast!

If I'm having just free foods for my main bit of breakfast I make sure I eat a piece of fruit before soI've still got in my superfree.

So today I had some melon fingers and then had poached eggs and bacon on toast!

I think I will start to do this, but i will have to remember to have the fruit first!

Thanks
Sx

I always do a heap of mushrooms with my egg with sometimes some halved cherry tomatoes chucked in with them. That goes on one piece of toast then my egg on the other

I tend to end up eating a banana or something after my cooked breakfast. So for instance, I'll have poached eggs on toast, then eat a banana which I will count as my 1/3 superfree :) I think this still counts?

My consultant used to say the 1/3 rule doesn't have to apply to breakfast if we can't fit it in. I have 2 fried eggs on toast everyday for break & sometimes I'll have an apple after but more often than not I'm full up so won't eat fruit just for the sake of it, it defeats the point of having the 1/3.

I'm very, very surprised that your consultant would advise that. The plan states that it's 1/3 SuperFree to every meal.

Shezam, as suggested why not have tinned tomatoes or grilled fresh tomatoes and mushrooms with your bacon/sausage/egg? That would contribute to your 1/3 SuperFree. If you don't fancy that, what about a piece of fruit first, then your sausages to follow. You could have an apple, and then have your sausages in a small wholemeal roll (Healthy Extra B), for example.

The 1/3 SuperFree rule wouldn't be there if it wasn't needed, so it really is important to make sure your having 1/3 SF if you truely want to stick to the plan.

Well yeah, but the point in the 1/3 superfree is to reduce the amount of non-superfree you eat - so if you had, say, grilled tomatoes, mushrooms, onions with your brekky you might only need one egg & one piece of toast instead of two of each (as an example - Im not saying *youre having* two of each ;) )

So youre right that theres no point in eating it for the sake of it, but thats more because youre eating it AFTER your meal. If you eat it before or with your meal like you're supposed to you will more likely eat less of the other stuff than you would.

I agree it doesnt work so good at brekky though. :) Depends what youre having I suppose, if yure a fry up type person I guess it works, but I just have toast most days so superfree just isnt going to make any difference (Im not having one piece instead of two just cos Im having an apple as well :D )

There's a "what's for breakfast" thread that has some good ideas. I subscribe to the breakfast, lunch and dinner threads and in never short of ideas - altho it can make you hungry lol - you'll probably find you don't want what you originally planned anymore lol

If you follow one of the 7 day plans on the SW web site you will notice several breakfasts do not have the 1/3 superfree eg
Poached eggs and baked beans on toast (2 slices wholemeal bread from a 400g loaf).
Grilled bacon on 2 slices wholemeal bread from a 400g loaf.
So even SW are saying not every breakfast has to have it

I fr (in fry light of course) mushrooms, onions, garlic & cabbage (yes, you read that right) for brekkie. I find that cabbage doesn't taste of much so doesn't really alter the lovely garlicky mushroom flavour. It really fills me up so I tend to only have 1 of the other things.

I actually sneak cabbage into most foods :) Nobody ever notices, especially white cabbage which when sliced thinly enough could just be onion.

I normally have fruit first thing to get my superfree i.e bananna or grapefruit then what ever I am having. Usually scrambled eggs or cooked breakfast. I make sure I have plenty mushrooms.

If I'm having a cooked breakfast, i.e. sausages or bacon, I have loads of mushrooms with it, or roasted baby tomatoes, so the third superfree is never a problem.

But, I don't have the third superfree with cereal or if I'm having just toast.

If you follow one of the 7 day plans on the SW web site you will notice several breakfasts do not have the 1/3 superfree eg
Poached eggs and baked beans on toast (2 slices wholemeal bread from a 400g loaf).
Grilled bacon on 2 slices wholemeal bread from a 400g loaf.
So even SW are saying not every breakfast has to have it

I think thats because they include Red and Green menus as well as EE. The 1/3 superfree rule is more strictly enforced on EE than other plans.

I have noticed this too! Like the beans on toast pic!. This I think is a little confusing specially to newbies.And my c told us to always have a 1/3rd superfree at every meal if doing the ee plan. If consultants are giving out differing advice then this will be most confusing for newbies too. I do the red and green plans as I prefer them:confused:

It's tomatoes and mushrooms for me too with my egg and/or bacon. However if I have some vegetables left over from the previous day I make potato patties and dry fry them as well. If I have potato left over I use that or I mix up a small amount of instant mash and mix the vegetables ( peas, carrots, beans cabbaage etc, depending on what we had for tea the previous day) in with that.

I always have an apple just before brekkie if I can. My biggest problem is when I work away from home and have to get a train at 6am, I struggle to think of things to take with me. I'm new to the site though and hadn't realised there was a brekkie thread though, will go there now!

Back