Struggling Big Time

Baby_Cakes

Dave's little girl
I'm back, struggling more than ever with old eating habbits, feeling worse than ever, wanting that miracle more than ever. I know its bad when I am searching the net in the hope of a miracle cure when I know there isnt one!

I just want to hide until I'm back to my normal size. I know diet and exercise works, I've done it before - twice. So why cant I do it this time. One third and final time?

I have a holiday in 13 weeks. A big family gathering in 22 weeks and my second anniversary in 23. I was hoping to be a healthy size by all of these events --- who was i kidding.

I know the most obvious answer is going to be eating healthy and exercise or calorie counting and exercise.... but its so damn hard.

Everyday I claim is going to be a new day and end up back at square one within hours. I gues once the result start to come it will be easy to keep motivated.

I just think its so pointless to exercise when I am eating rubbish

:cry:

Hey Baby Cakes! Apologies in advance, as I've let this post get much longer than I meant to, but please bear with me. I’ve felt like you do… it’s that horrible, uncomfortable phase that you are very aware you’re overweight and that you know you should do something about it, but for some reason you can’t dredge up the motivation to put yourself through the weight loss journey. It’s especially difficult if you’ve dieted before, and you know how hard and emotionally draining it can be. Somewhere deep inside yourself, you’re telling yourself that you can’t face it, and for this reason you don’t. I’ve been in that place more times that I’d care to recall.

Words and thoughts are very powerful things. I’ve had to carefully filter the words “can’t” and “too hard” out of my vocabulary, and you find that once you tell yourself that you can do things and that a goal is within your reach even though it may be difficult that things do change. There’s nobody holding your back but your own thoughts about yourself.

Over the last couple of years I’ve had to get to know myself again, because I have a lot of emotional triggers for binging even when I’m not hungry (most prominently boredom), and I needed to learn to recognise them so I could redirect myself to something more productive (like walking or hula hooping) whenever they started. I had also worked a lot of nutritionally deficient foods into my diet over a long period of time. I knew that from past experience that calorie counting just caused me to nervously obsess about food packaging and also about my scales (I’d weigh myself every day or more, even though I knew weight would fluctuate daily). It stressed me out so much that I’d just break down and binge, and I’d ruin my progress.

So! I decided that I would not go on a diet. The whole psychology of dieting doesn’t suit me, because when I tell myself I can’t have something, I’ll want it and obsess about it. Instead, I’ve opted to change my relationship with food entirely as a lifestyle choice that will remain in place (hopefully) permanently. I’ve taken the nutritionally deficient food out of my diet and have made sure I’ve plenty of veg and fish in my diet. I cut out red meat, and only get lean meat that I know has come from a responsible source. I still look at food packaging, but I don’t look at calorie and fat content… I look at the ingredients. My one rule tends to be if the ingredients look more like a chemistry experiment than food, I won’t buy it. I’ve also been shocked at how many foods in the super market have sugar added to them for no particular reason! It’s no wonder so many people are overweight.

The thing is, I don’t even think about crisps and sweets unless they’re right in front of my face. I don’t buy them myself, so I don’t crave them when I’m at home. Sometimes when I go shopping, something bad will catch my eye (like tea cakes) and I’ll pick them up and be so close to putting it in the basket, but then I’ll chastise myself out loud by saying: “You don’t need it, put it back. This is your choice.” Sounds mad, but sure enough it works.

In the end, it’s all about reprogramming yourself to think differently. So far, it’s working great for me, and I haven’t binged in a long time. I’m losing weight, but I’m still a big girl… and that’s OK, because I’m now happy with myself no matter what happens. It’s really weird, but I could never say that before. I hope that you find your motivation and that maybe sometime I’ve said might be helpful.

Thanks Kitsune - you are so right.

I need to make this change for me, for my future, for my husband and our future children. Is it really critical that I dont want to fall pregnant until I am of a healthy weight?

A plan for life - a little bit of what you fancy with exercise and no binges. Sounds like a recipe for success.

You're very welcome m'dear... Just think, if you change even just one thing per day, or one thing every couple of days rather than trying to drastically change everything all at once, your brain doesn't resist as much, or at all, to the change (that one I got off Paul McKenna, and he was not wrong).

You have all the right reasons to want to change, all you need to believe is that you can do it! And if you ever need someone to talk to, just drop me a line on here. ^^

Thank you. I read an inspirational quote today that was so accurate. ”The man who removes a mountain begins by carrying away small stones.”

Little things, step by step. The first step has to be to stop weighin daily.

Thanks for the friends add :cool:

I was doing fine until last night when hubby went to work. Something went pang and on came a binge.

I hate it - if I could control it the times when my husband was at work I really dont think I would have an issue. I was feeling so good and positive so I dont really understand what caused it.

Thursday through to about 6pm yesterday were fantastic - I started to feel really good, didnt think about food at all and ate healthily. Now I have to start over, AGAIN.

:(

Maybe you're feeling bored when your hubby goes out? Or lonely? Like there's nothing else to think about except what lurks in the cupboards. Do you feel particularly emotional when you binge? Is it just something to do? Or do you feel exhilarated because you're cheating when nobody's around?

These were the questions I had to ask myself. Once you know the triggers, you can deflect them or leave healthy binge items around the house. A diary might help you identify a pattern in your binges.

Sounds like you're doing well otherwise, though. I'm sure you can beat it!

Its most definately boredom, loneliness. I dont know how to describe it really. Its like an urge so strong I cant resist it. I need to stop, I need to be in control. I need to do this for me.

What can I do to stop myself being lonely and bored?

Well, boredom is my main trigger. What I do now instead of binging is either clean if the house needs it (not the best one because it's my least favourite chore), put music on and start dancing around, or grab my hula hoop an start learning some new tricks! Usually I go with the hula hoop option. Boredom instantly dies! So much fun and great exercise too.

As for loneliness... If the above doesn't distract you from it, you could have a pet that you might languish attention on, or call one of your friends and have a long conversation, or even just watch TV for a bit to trick your brain into thinking there are other people about.

If you can, though, an activity is best. You might come to appreciate your alone time because it's the only time you can dance around the house or learning some fun new hula tricks (or whatever other activity you choose). That way being on your own for a few hours ceases to cause a negative feeling. That'll make you feel better in the longrun. ^^

I used to be like this until I tried a food replacement diet...
They're actually pretty easy to stick to for a few weeks. (I am rubbish at keeping it up longer).
I feel because it's easy and all there for you you can't really go wrong.
First few days are hard but after that it's really easy.
Maybe you could try one for a change?

Back