Struggling

swgm

aw this week i am so struggling, i put 1/2lb on and i feel like a failure. ive not even lost half my holiday gain and im away on a city break for a week.

i feel like i am going on the city break and thinking oh i cant have this and i cant have that. I only want to loose another 1 1/2 - 2 stone for xmas and i feel like if i go away and enjoy myself and eat and drink what i want i will put on again and be even more a failure. ive only just got my 4 stone by the skin of my teeth even though before i went away i was so close to my 4 and half.
im sitting here like angel / devil. but i just know that i cant handle a gain again.

xx

Hi, It's a terrible feeling when your struggling and you have things going on as well. It makes you feel like your never going to get anywhere. But I think you need to make a choice. Do you want to lose this weight or not? Unfortunately if you do then you have to stick to the plan, even while your away. Could you have flexible syns for one or two of the days your away. Then maybe you wouldn't feel to deprived. The only other thing you could do is go away and enjoying yourself and know that you'll get a gain. Get back on it 200% when you get back.

Hi swgm!

I'm totally feeling the same as you. I'm just back from holiday with a gain. I looked at my SW spreadsheet and it's taken me 4 months to lose one stone. I'm happy that the pattern is generally downward but I'm getting frustrated with myself.

I think setting the Christmas deadline is a bit of a double edged sword (I set a personal goal to lose 1.5st), on one hand it keeps me focused, but at the same time I do feel like I've put myself under pressure considering how many commitments I have between now & then. If I did hit that goal I'd feel amazing though...

Sorry I don't have any advice, but you're certainly not alone in feeling as you do.

Maybe do a for & against list to help us refocus?

We go away quite a lot & I know it can be hard, especially as you want to enjoy yourself, but you don't need to feel like you're depriving yourself staying on plan on holiday. When we go away I stick to SW meals as much as possible but enjoy a few glasses of wine.

Where are you going on your city break?

If you do 'enjoy' yourself on hols ask yourself how you'll feel gaining weight.

What will you want to eat to make you feel like your enjoying yourself.

Enjoying your break doesn't have to mean eat all you can/want, it could be doing other things, like treating yourself to say a tour bus of the city, or buying yourself a nice holiday gift.

When I'm away I set myself a treat per day limit. So I can have a burger and chip or an Icecream or a pizza; but not all of them on the same day! It avoids me decided the whole day is ruined and spiralling into a whole week of munching?

Try not to equate "enjoying yourself" with eating. Presumably there are loads of things to enjoy in whatever city you are going to that have nothing to do with eating. Museums, walks, galleries, parks, river trips, etc., etc.

I would first of all think of how you would feel putting more weight on, versus the few minutes from eating the food. Probably in the long run, you would feel better losing the weight rather than 5 minutes of an ice cream. I have noticed over the past couple of weeks that I have been trying really hard (minus the last week actually) to be good, I actually realise I don't need to eat masses of food to feel full and that feeling slimmer is a better feeling.

This week I maintained, and I had a bad week of eating so was surprised. I can only put it down to when I was eating something bad, I would then try and eat really healthily for the rest of the time. So for example I had a huge burger, some chips and salad for lunch. Then for dinner I just had soup. I know this may not be possible on a city break as I would want to eat all the amazing food like pasta, ice cream etc. So I would suggest maybe being extra good a couple of days before, then after. I wouldn't not syn at all on good days though, maybe just have a small syn allowance. And as someone has already said, just be picky about what/when you syn and don't lose control. Instead of eating everything like you did before maybe you would eat say half a bowl of chips for example, just cutting down has to have some impact.

Hope you enjoy your city break, because that is important, you don't want to feel miserable and deprived, but also in control of choosing what you eat. I am still learning this myself but finding each time I get better. Sometimes I eat everything then I think "well I didn't really need all that".

Back