STS are speed foods to blame

MissCeltic

I have stayed on plan all week however apart from fruit after my dinner i haven't really had much speed food. Do you think this could be the reason I have STS

I believe it is recommended to eat 1/3 speed food with every meal. I try and eat some type of speed food with the majority of my meals (didn't for breakfast this morning, but did for lunch and dinner). I'm sure someone will explain it better than me, but in my opinion they are important. How about trying to incorporate them in more meals for the next week and see whether there is a change in your weight loss?

Speed foods are generally fibrous low calorie foods so should fill you up, and mean you eat less carbs/meats/naughty things, increasing weight loss. (I think!)

I try and do it that a 1/3 of what I eat during the course of the day is speed. I never have any speed food for breakie, but my lunch is nearly all speed foods (salad and fruit) and then tea is about the 1/3.

You should try to have a 1/3 speed food with every meal. Make sure the fruits you're eating are actually speed foods (bananas, grapes, blueberries etc are not speedy) and you should be fine. I normally have fruit after each meal as I tend to prefer them to vegetables but if it's a natural fit then I'll stick the vegetables with the meal.

STS = Stay The Same. There could be multiple reasons you maintained - yes, it could be that your speed foods were low, or it could be eating salty foods and retaining water, or exercising more than usual. Maybe it's because you lost a decent amount last week and your body is catching up, or maybe your body decided to lose an inch or two instead of a pound or two this week. Perhaps you don't have a lot left to lose? I see from your signature it's not star week so it's not that. But, there are so many possibilities for a STS that it's really not worth worrying about as it happens to us all at some point, however good we've been - and whatever, it's better than a gain! Maybe you could try to look at your loss as so many pounds per month instead of expecting similar losses each week? 9lbs in five weeks is pretty good, you know! Bodies are funny things, they have minds of their own :)

If you havent been having 1/3 speed food with each meal you havent really been on plan properly.

Definitely read up on the speed/non speed fruits - catches me out all the time at the minute!!!

You don't have to have 1/3 speed food at every meal but it is recommended. If you look at the 2015 Food Optimising book, SW says beans on toast is a perfectly acceptable meal without any speed foods. Generally, where your meal includes a Healthy Extra, you don't need any speed because the HEx has already put a limit on the calories you'll consume.

The purpose of Speed foods is to reduce the amount of Free foods you eat. If you were to have your beans on a jacket potato, then speed food should be included, the idea being that they will help fill you up and you'll choose a smaller potato and/or leave some because you're satisfied.

The further along you are in your journey, the more you have to tweak over time.

Slimming world works on the principle of eating fewer calories by eating speed foods with low calorie densities and the power to fill you up.
Once the adjustments to what you eat have taken place, you need to look at how much you are eating and also which speed foods you are consuming.

It is not written in the books but every consultant will steer you towards eating more vegetables than fruit as your speed foods as fruits are rich in natural sugars and you will eventually need to reduce the amount you are eating overall, especially if you have a tendency to graze on fruit over the course of the day.

It is not written in the books but every consultant will steer you towards eating more vegetables than fruit as your speed foods as fruits are rich in natural sugars and you will eventually need to reduce the amount you are eating overall, especially if you have a tendency to graze on fruit over the course of the day.

You might be interested to know that my dentist supports this because fruit has a lot of acid which can damage teeth!

Back