STS this week and peeved!!

minirog

Silver Member
Well, I feel like I worked hard, but obviouslynot hard enough!

I wonder if I am eating to many calories.

My BMR is 1,679 so how many calories do you guys think I need to be eating to lose 2lb a week?

Thanks

How many have you been eating?

My BMR is supposed to be about 1800 according to calculators. I am lucky to lose 1.4lb a week averaging 900kcal a day. I think the calculators are too generous.

My BMR is supposed to be about 1800 according to calculators. I am lucky to lose 1.4lb a week averaging 900kcal a day. I think the calculators are too generous.

I'm so glad i'm not the only one! am sick of other boards and threads telling me i'm eating too little to lose weight. If I'm still gaining on 1800 then its obvious that I need a lot less to lose at a rate that will keep me motivated

How fast or slow your metabolism is can actually differ due to so many various factors. I am not the sort of person who can eat thousands upon thousand of calories and not gain a pound, but I'm pretty sure when I've eaten around 2,500 calories for a week I didn't gain (which is weird...).

You might just have a very slow metabolism - especially if you're sedentary as well.

I'm really sorry, but I don't really believe in the BMI and BMR calcs. A very muscular person could be considered as obese on the BMI calcs because it goes by weight. But also when I do my BMR, I get a different result from every calc! And I would find it difficult to stick to a 1000 cal deficit a day, that's a lot!

I just think people should stick to the basics, eat at least 1200 cals a day. If you want to lose weight stay below the recommended daily allowance for women which is 2000 cals. And if you are going to the gym a lot make sure you eat enough to keep your energy levels up or you are actually undoing your hard work!

I dont really believe in it either, all the calculators etc put me at needing between 1600-1800 to lose weight. I still GAIN on that many. I am only static at around 1300-1500 so I need to go lower than is recommended to lose at a rate that will keep me motivated.

i gain weight if i breathe too many calories !

i KNOW i have a slow metabolism as i've tested borderline hypothyroid but i'm not medicated because everytime i go for tests it fluctuates, apparently it's one of the hardest things to diagnose, even though I have every symptom in the book.. anyway, trial and error is how I have figured out what works for me, what i can and can't eat and how many calories to lose weight..

My problem is not the knowledge it's the application. Once i get motivated and to stick to it i have positive results.. for me i'm consuming about 800 calories.. i'm not starving, i've planned carefully what i need to eat and i feel like i eat quite a bit actually.. on the weekends i tend to go up to 1000 if the mood strikes me but i'm 'trying' not to as i don't want to interfere with my progress.

I pay no attention to bmr either.. i don't even like the weight charts cuz my ideal weight for my height and frame is 165lbs but according to 'average' size i'm overweight at this amount.

you've lost an amazing amount of weight thus far minirog.. :clap: What plan were you on before ? if you've just switched to cc'ing it might just take some adjusting before you start seeing some results.. don't stress it and hang in there !! :)

even though I have every symptom in the book

Can I ask what the symptoms are. When I had full bloods done in January I was told that my thyroid would have to be rechecked in a year as there were changes but nothing defined. I have noticed so many little changes in me but have no idea if theyre linked. I've just ruled had PCOS ruled out so I know its not that

i've googled this subject many times.. my nan was hypothyroidic (?) and i'm JUST like her.. lol

[FONT=Verdana,Arial]Symptoms may include: [/FONT]
  • [FONT=Verdana,Arial][/FONT][FONT=Verdana,Arial]
    [*]low energy, constant tiredness
    [*]depression
    [*]dizziness
    [*]weight gain, despite diminished appetite
    [*]intolerance to cold
    [*]inability to concentrate, memory lapses
    [*]constipation
    [*]slowed heart rate
    [*]raised blood cholesterol
    [*]muscle weakness, cramps
    [*]goiter (enlarged thyroid)
    [*]anemia
    [*]menstrual irregularities
    [*]ankle swelling
    [*]hair loss (especially eyebrows)
    [*]dry scaly skin and brittle nails
    [*]hoarse voice
    [*]puffy face, hands, and feet
    [*]swelling around the eyes
    [*]droopy eyelids
    [*]swollen abdomen
    [*]decreased sex drive
    [*]infertility
    [*]impaired coordination
    [/FONT]
the only symptom i don't have on this list is a goiter and constipation.. lol every thing else..ding ding ding.

oh and decreased sex drive.. that's not by choice.. lol

low energy, constant tiredness...yup, 12-14 hours sleep
depression...yup, never had it before unless you count brief 1 month PND after birth of first
dizziness...and palpitations. Cardiologist has ruled out any heart problems
weight gain, despite diminished appetite...yup, I thought it was all down to steroids, chest etc but maybe not. Still gain on 1800 cals
intolerance to cold...always so cold
inability to concentrate, memory lapses...yup, been doing brain training to try and better it
constipation...not as such but only go 1-2 a week
slowed heart rate....not this one I have a naturally resting high pulse rate 95-110 which actually goes lower when I exercise???
raised blood cholesterol...thats good too, but I use a LOT of garlic
muscle weakness, cramps...lots, severe restless legs too
goiter (enlarged thyroid)...not this one
anemia...low ferratin levels
menstrual irregularities...i went from regular as clockwork 26 days to anywhere from 17-26 days
ankle swelling...hugely, they gain 3 inches during the day
hair loss (especially eyebrows)...hair comes out in clumps also gone very dry like straw but greasy in 12 hours at the root
dry scaly skin and brittle nails...nails arent doing too bad but Im a nail tech so am good about using cuticle oil but skin is like a lizards
hoarse voice...definite voice change
puffy face, hands, and feet...not sure is it just due to the weight?
swelling around the eyes...definitely puffy and easily irritated
droopy eyelids...with tiredness
swollen abdomen...I look pregnant!
decreased sex drive...single so no idea
infertility...not a clue
impaired coordination...definitely more clumsy

I have read about having a low basal body temp being an indicator and i'm around 35.2 so think i can tick that one too

Reckon I tick enough boxes to ask for the tests to be bought forward?

totally forgot about the low basal temp, i discovered that when H and i were trying to conceive. Sounds like you've got a good case to demand more testing.

minirog.. SO sorry for hijacking your thread :ashamed0005:

I'm a firm believer in if u eat less than u burn off then u will lose weight. Sure, for some people it will happen a bit slower than others (grrrr) but thats life. We all need 2000cals a day..even if we're jjust sitting there so u will lose weight if ur eatin less than that. I reckon things that throw that off is VLCD n stuff when ur body goes into starvation mode n clings to every calorie it gets!!

I'm a firm believer in if u eat less than u burn off then u will lose weight. Sure, for some people it will happen a bit slower than others (grrrr) but thats life. We all need 2000cals a day..even if we're jjust sitting there so u will lose weight if ur eatin less than that. I reckon things that throw that off is VLCD n stuff when ur body goes into starvation mode n clings to every calorie it gets!!

But everyone is different. I was still gaining around 3lbs a month on 1800 calories. I wasnt cheating because there is no point, its only cheating myself. I've been doing this since may, started at 1800 then went down 100 until I was static...which was 1300 calories. If I can't be sure of the calories I don't eat it. I finally went to 1000-1200 cals in sept and thats when the weight started coming off...there is no "one size fits all" in dieting as far as i'm concerned

Aw jeez thats awful. Maybe u do have a medicalproblem. Might b worth gettin ur cortisol levels checked. Some people hav a problem with excess steroid production. Its called cushings syndrome. Check up on it. It would cause unexplained weight gain.No one should be stayin the same on 1200 cals. Best of luck.

Back