Sudden brainwave re slow weight loss

froggylegs

Silver Member
I suddenly had a lightbulb moment that may be absolute rubbish but i would appreciate people's thoughts on this. I will ask my CDC but I saw on facebook her cat has just been run over :( so i dont want to bother her.

My first week on the CD is complete and on my scales I lost 2lbs and on hers I lost 3, a good loss but as I had stuck to SS 100% i was disappointed.

I am also struggling to get into ketosis, the highest reading i have had is the "trace" and it keeps disappearing.

i suddenly realised today..... I stopped smoking in February by swapping to an electronic cigarette. The liquid in it is glycerine (plus flavouring and nicotine). Glycerine is a carbohydrate :eek::eek: and I am inhaling it so it is getting into my blood stream. I use it a LOT as I was a heavy smoker. There is no way I would let this make me go back to the fags again but do you think this could be the reason I am struggling to get/stay in ketosis?

I have no idea, I am not sure you could take in carbs through inhaling, but I am no expert. There are some people out there who don't get into ketosis easily or at all in some cases, unless you are struggling with hunger I wouldn't let it bother you. With regard to 'only losing 3lbs' 3lbs is still a good loss and I think I read on another post you don't have much to lose and had already cut down on carbs before starting. I bet you have a big loss next week, but I always find I lose around 1 stone a month, but it chops and changes to how it goes, it could be 1lb one week and 6lbs the next. Good luck and stick with it, if you stay 100% you will lose around a stone in a month.

:) Thanks for the reply Chlo. It goes into your lungs as vapour and is absorbed through the lining into the bloodstream, the glycerin is the delivery system for the nicotine.

:) You may well be right that this loss is good for me, i am certainly obsessing about it and maybe i am over thinking it.

Its just that in the past, before i used an e-cig, i have done low carbing and the weight has flown off but since February when i started using the e cig, the low carbing has not been working, hence me deciding on the CD.

Its just that in the past, before i used an e-cig, i have done low carbing and the weight has flown off but since February when i started using the e cig, the low carbing has not been working, hence me deciding on the CD.

First, congratulations for quitting smoking! Second, I highly doubt it's the glycerin in your e-juice messing up your weight loss. A gram of glycerin is roughly equal to a gram of carbs, and one ml of glycerin weighs about 1.25 grams, so you can figure that 5ml of glycerin has about 6 carbs. Most e-cig users don't use more e-juice than this, but I guess it depends on your usage pattern.

But what is more, glycerin is technically not a sugar but a sugar alcohol, which are relatively low on the glycemic index. Atkins diet doesn't even count sugar alcohols towards the net carb count.

I would speculate that low-carb isn't working as well now because you take in more calories since you quit smoking. Nicotine is an appetite suppressant, and you absorb less from e-cigs than from traditional cigarettes, so you are probably just hungrier than you were as a smoker.

If that's the case, Cambridge will work just as well for you now as it would have before, because you are taking in exactly the same number of calories either way.

hmm... Its an interesting theory. I'm not sure. My thoughts are that, no that should not be what is causing it. It could be other things.
Weight loss on the cambridge plan dose slow down as you get closer to your target. I have seen people say on the boards that their last stone was really hard work.

do you know if you are drinking enough? If you are able to add a wee bit of extra exercise in carefully that might knock some off. Be Careful of course with that.
My other suggestion would be that maybe its not showing in the numbers, but maybe you are smaller.

There have been a few times where I have not lost anything or only lost a little, however I have still lost centimeters from my legs or waist or arms.

I would keep going just now. If you continue to not see good results, or good enough results that you are happy with, and your CDC can't suggest anything, maybe a different diet?

what a shame about her cat :(

I use an e-cig and I go into ketosis quite easily after three days.

Ooh thanks for that Claire, that's really good to hear

First, congratulations for quitting smoking! Second, I highly doubt it's the glycerin in your e-juice messing up your weight loss. A gram of glycerin is roughly equal to a gram of carbs, and one ml of glycerin weighs about 1.25 grams, so you can figure that 5ml of glycerin has about 6 carbs. Most e-cig users don't use more e-juice than this, but I guess it depends on your usage pattern.

But what is more, glycerin is technically not a sugar but a sugar alcohol, which are relatively low on the glycemic index. Atkins diet doesn't even count sugar alcohols towards the net carb count.

I would speculate that low-carb isn't working as well now because you take in more calories since you quit smoking. Nicotine is an appetite suppressant, and you absorb less from e-cigs than from traditional cigarettes, so you are probably just hungrier than you were as a smoker.

If that's the case, Cambridge will work just as well for you now as it would have before, because you are taking in exactly the same number of calories either way.

CF thanks so much, that has definitely made me think my lightbulb moment was wrong :) I was a very heavy roll-up smoker and all you say here makes good sense. I am so so chuffed with myself for stopping smoking, i genuinely believed my life wouldn't be worth living if I stopped but its been easy!

hmm... Its an interesting theory. I'm not sure. My thoughts are that, no that should not be what is causing it. It could be other things.
Weight loss on the cambridge plan dose slow down as you get closer to your target. I have seen people say on the boards that their last stone was really hard work.

do you know if you are drinking enough? If you are able to add a wee bit of extra exercise in carefully that might knock some off. Be Careful of course with that.
My other suggestion would be that maybe its not showing in the numbers, but maybe you are smaller.

There have been a few times where I have not lost anything or only lost a little, however I have still lost centimeters from my legs or waist or arms.

I would keep going just now. If you continue to not see good results, or good enough results that you are happy with, and your CDC can't suggest anything, maybe a different diet?

what a shame about her cat :(

Oh fire lass, I am gutted for her re the cat, she was absolutely beautiful and my CDC has two little girls who are heartbroken :(

I reckon I am drinking enough, around 3 litres, good suggestion re the exercise.

Thanks so much everyone, this has really helped :)

Back