sugar free energy drinks fizzy juice caffeine and weight loss

the_gould

hi folks

is it true that the caffeine in fizzy juice and esp sugar free energy drinks can slow down weight loss

by causing a spike in the blood sugar and also increasing your insulin ?

i have been drinking lots of sugar free energy drinks this last week and not a thing came off.

Caffeine is not a sugar and so cannot cause your blood sugar to go up. It could be that the energy drinks you're drinking have a high sodium content, which causes your body to hang onto extra water to compensate. So while you may have lost weight as fat, the scales are telling you the same number because you've got more water on board.

a) Why bother asking a question if you think you already know the answer?
b) Are you a Type 2 Diabetic? Because if that paper is actually correct (and this is the thing, it's a hypothesised report, NOT a study) then that would be the only situation in which that paper is relevant.
c) One paper says it does, countless others says it improves insulin resistance. If you're going to look for excuses as to why you haven't lost any weight this week, then focusing on an as-yet unproved biological pathway over the obvious reason (too much frickin' sodium consumption leading to increased water retention) is really quite a retarded attitude.

But what do I know. Go on, use whatever excuse you like to make yourself feel better about the scale numbers and justify to yourself that it's not your fault the numbers aren't going in the right direction.

*sigh*

Last edited:
My Dad's diabetic and only drinks coffee and diet drinks and has no problem so to be honest, I think that it's rubbish. I mainly drink diet fizzy drinks and if I stick to my calories I lose 2-3lbs a week usually. So in short, no they don't hinder weight loss, in my experience anyway so I highly doubt that's why you've not lost this week.

I'm only glucose intolerant - the stage before diabetes but I defo have a problem with caffeine - not saying it is because of the glucose intolerance but I didn't used to have a problem with caffeine - but now it makes me extremely tired - the same feeling as a sugar crash, it also seems to make me crave sugar...

a) Why bother asking a question if you think you already know the answer?
b) Are you a Type 2 Diabetic? Because if that paper is actually correct (and this is the thing, it's a hypothesised report, NOT a study) then that would be the only situation in which that paper is relevant.
c) One paper says it does, countless others says it improves insulin resistance. If you're going to look for excuses as to why you haven't lost any weight this week, then focusing on an as-yet unproved biological pathway over the obvious reason (too much frickin' sodium consumption leading to increased water retention) is really quite a retarded attitude.

But what do I know. Go on, use whatever excuse you like to make yourself feel better about the scale numbers and justify to yourself that it's not your fault the numbers aren't going in the right direction.

*sigh*

i dont know the answer i am just looking at it from all angles and letting people know where i got this idea from. the whole point of a forum if for us all to help and i dont like the sarcasm in your post. its really not what i am looking for. thanks for your help

I don't see how they would cause you to stop losing weight. I am a firm believer of 'eat whatever the hell you want as long as it's under your calorie goals.'
Just look at such diets as "The Twinkie Diet."

I still treat Diet Coke Cherry as a treat though. Only having it on special occasions, such as opting for it at the cinema instead of 'real' coke cherry.
I have recent found an American sweet shop near me that sells Coke Zero Cherry which is awesome.

There is talk about it but it's not really so much that the drinks themselves make you put on weight or stop losing. It's more that there's a theory that it could set off a sweet craving, making you more likely to eat other things that you otherwise wouldn't. Personally that's not the case, the total opposite in fact.

Personally, I don't agree with eat whatever you want as long as it's under your calorie goals. That's hardly healthy is it? Losing weight isn't just about getting the weight off, it's about being healthy and for that you need a well balanced diet. Otherwise you'll lose weight but you'll also lose muscle, your metabolism will be lowered and you'll generally look more flabby as you'll have a higher body fat percentage. I do think that a little of what you want and like, in moderation, as long as you're under goals is perfectly fine but whilst eating 1200 calories of twinkies a day might cause you to lose weight, it won't leave you a healthy individual at all.

If you like cherry coke, pepsi max have just released a cherry version. Personally it's a bit sweet for me but I know others who rave about it. I know they sell it in ASDA for £1 for a 2 litre bottle.

Citric acid and caffeine can slow weightless down in ketogenic diets

TRISTAR said:
Citric acid and caffeine can slow weightless down in ketogenic diets

Weightloss* damned iPhone

i heard something about the acid stops the body from going into ketosis but also know that ketosis is not paramount to weight loss - its all messed up lol thanks guys

There is talk about it but it's not really so much that the drinks themselves make you put on weight or stop losing. It's more that there's a theory that it could set off a sweet craving, making you more likely to eat other things that you otherwise wouldn't. Personally that's not the case, the total opposite in fact.

Personally, I don't agree with eat whatever you want as long as it's under your calorie goals. That's hardly healthy is it? Losing weight isn't just about getting the weight off, it's about being healthy and for that you need a well balanced diet. Otherwise you'll lose weight but you'll also lose muscle, your metabolism will be lowered and you'll generally look more flabby as you'll have a higher body fat percentage. I do think that a little of what you want and like, in moderation, as long as you're under goals is perfectly fine but whilst eating 1200 calories of twinkies a day might cause you to lose weight, it won't leave you a healthy individual at all.

If you like cherry coke, pepsi max have just released a cherry version. Personally it's a bit sweet for me but I know others who rave about it. I know they sell it in ASDA for £1 for a 2 litre bottle.

I'm not saying that you should lose weight like that, just that it's possible.

May have to check that out, although I do tend to prefer Coke to Pepsi.

Personally I prefer coke to pepsi too, I don't think it's as sweet.

Back