Sugar free jelly and gum?

Madison

Hi folks,
I was just having a browse round here and came across a couple of threads re the above and them being tolerated items. Is this the case? I've searched the FAQ bit but can't find an exact answer. I'm happy enough with my weight loss so far but according to the good Doc and the official site I should be at my true weight already...I have 1st 2 lbs to go to get there. I've stuck to the plan rigidly, I've cut out dairy in the hope of losing more consistantly but didn't really work. Then to my shock horror I see a minute ago that both items mentioned above are tolerated foods, am I right in thinking this. Maybe this is what's been causing my stalls. I lost one pound this week which was after my hols and was thrilled about but I think it had been 5 or so weeks since I'd lost anything else. I've been eating 3 portions of sugar free jelly every day, chewing gum - a few pieces each day and also having a couple of cans of diet coke. Thinking to self that I was doing great work lol. Possibly only to find out now after 3 months or so that they are infact tolerated items - arrrggghhhh... I'm thinking when I see this typed out in front of me maybe it's way too much artificial sweetner and I need to cut it out/down a good bit and maybe re-introduce the dairy - in smaller quantities. Any imput or advice greatly appreciated as always.. x

I dont think they are tolerated items but the gum i think is something to watch if stalling

Where did you see they were tolerated items? (I have seen one can of diet soda maxi per day recently, admittedly)... It's true that the jelly doesn't exist over here, and I don't know many French people who are crazy about using sweetener either so perhaps it's been noticed that the weight loss has been slower in the UK where people are perhaps feeding their sweet tooths unduly? Just a thought!

Hi guys,
Sorry for taking so long to get back with this. Here's where I saw it yesterday mentioned about the sugar free jelly. It was in a thread about 0% yogurt and how much is too much...What do you think..Thanks in advance

Ok Saska,

here is the link to the list of food we 'oldies' tend to follow. It's taken straight from the UK edition of the book, reposted by Maintainer earlier this year.

http://www.minimins.com/dukan-diet/2...ew-people.html (List of Dukan safe foods - for new people)

Dairy needs to be Fat free (also called 0% when in fact it is usually 0.1%) and in the pre-Lifeplan edition of the book it does refer to a 'maximum of 1L / 1kg dairy' and only 250ml skimmed milk. If I get the chance to look tonight I'll give you the page number. Other description for dairy as 'low fat' or 'extra low fat' can be very confusing so I would always check the label for the grams of fat per 100gr. If it's more than 1 for dairy then stay clear. Milk also had Carbs in the form of Lactose which is why milk specifically (but not yoghurt etc) is explicitly limited top 250ml. I don't think I ever measured or actively restricted my dairy intake and I had no porblems but I have the feeling that I did not usually reack the 1kglmit. I also had the lowest fat Cottage that *I could find* cheese throughout, and a lot of the times that was 1.2% fat from Saisbury's. These are small details that might slow you down a bit but should not make you fail altogether.

Then there are 'extras' or 'tolerateds' which some people use when they get fed up, like EL Philly (one tablespoon/day) or sugar free jelly (3 portions a day) but to start with you really ought to concentrate on the basics and not be side tracked by the 'treats'. They were never mentioned in 'the original' book but it sounds like they are now, and maybe that's what's causing the confusion? In many cases the exact type and brand matter, for example I don;t thin there is any hard cheese available in the UK that fulfils the less than 7% fat rule to be a tolerated (or whatever it was), of the 'lemon flavoured yoghurt' that was mentioned in the first book, so we all stuck to plain yoghurt.

Good luck - keep it simple, stay away from any prepared or precooked foods and you should be FINE. Think 'no fat no carbs no sugar' that should do the trick when deciding if something is "safe to eat"

Back