Sugar free yoghurt?

Pootler

Ok, I know I live in backwater, so my local supermarkets don't have a huge range. But I've googled this and can't find an answer either. Am I nuts, or does a fat free, sugar free flavoured yoghurt really not exist?

I know I can put sweetener and vanilla essence in plain yoghurt, but darn it, I want something yummier than that!

I've just moved back to the UK after 15 years in Holland where you can buy SF FF flavoured yoghurt (and chocolate pudding and custard!) by the litre, and I'm missing it so much! I can't believe I've not been able to find an equivalent here - there must be a demand for it, surely?

If I'm just being blind, or need to go to a bigger supermarket, let me know. :)

Hi there pootler, well the mullerlights that we all eat on S W are fat free and sugar free and most are syn free. They come in lots of different flavours. Have you not seen them? Hope you get sorted with your yoghurts, I eat loads of them but mostly prefer the greek style as they are a little thicker. Happy hunting

If you're not adverse to sweetners, there's loads - check out the Yogurt sticky in the Syns thread. . When I first read your post I thought you were after a FF yogurt without added sugar OR sweetner - :doh:

Hmmm... I've been eating Mullers but the second ingredient listed on mine is fructose. Which is just sugar by another name, isn't it? Lactose is fine - I think that's unavoidable in yoghurt. But I'm really wary of any other "'tose" because it just seems (to me) to be a way for the manufacturer to avoid saying that sugar makes up a large percentage of their product. And going off the calorie content, compared to what I'm used to (Mullers and Shapes are nearly double! Eek!) I'm pretty sure that all the fat free yogurts here are full of sugar, and not sweeteners.

I don't mind sweeteners at all. I'll check the yoghurts sticky. :)

If you want fruit in yoghurts, you're always going to get fructose - it's the natural sugar in fruit! As you say, lactose is the natural sugar in milk.

Irish Yogurts don't list any '...ose' but with Apricots, Nectarines, Blackberries & Blackcurants I can't see how there's no fructose in them.

Apricot & Nectarine Diet Yogurt
Blackberry & Blackcurrant Diet Yogurt
Skimmed Milk, Non Fat Milk Solids, Natural Flavouring,
Apricots, Nectarines, Live Yogurt Cultures, Artificial Sweetener:
Aspartame “Contains a source of Phenylalanine”, Permitted Preservative:
Potassium Sorbate E202.
Ingredient List: Skimmed Milk, Non Fat Milk Solids, Natural Flavouring,
Blackberries, Blackcurrants, Live Yogurt Cultures, Artificial Sweetener:
Aspartame, “Contains a source of phenylalanine”, Permitted Preservative:
Potassium Sorbate (E202).

Last edited:
Fructose is natural in fruit but in yogurts the "fruit" is so processed that the fructose levels would be higher. Best bet, 0% Greek yogurt and chopped fresh fruit xx

I think you've found what I'm looking for Minimumnchkins! Yoghurts that don't have some form of sugar listed as the second highest ingredient. Thank you! Now I just have to find somewhere that stocks them. :)

Fructose is fine - but I think that fructose in a lot of products is not just coming from he fruit that's in there - it's extra, added, priocessed fructose rather than naturally occurring. I'm really amazed by how much sugar is in products in the UK. I thought I had a really sweet tooth until I came back home from Holland and discovered that lots of things are just too sweet for me here!

(The reasons I want them#, by the way, is not really calorie control. It's that my dentist wants me to avoid sugar, and because sugar seems to be a binge trigger for me.)

Back