Sugars & Sweeteners?

Maximus

Gold Member
Can anyone recommend a low-syn/free sugar replacement which tastes "natural". I tried Morrison's own and not impressed. Ideally it should work with both coffee and on cereal (sorry, old habits and all that).

Alternatively, I noticed Silver Spoon Light @ 1 syn per tsp or Silverspoon's Half Spoon at half of that for half tsp. Would it be better just adding a couple of syns? - I don't mind as I have one cup per day - 2 max.

I seem to recall Canderel was good when I tried it years ago, anyone tell me about Splenda or any others they have tried?

Again the fine balance between syn and taste I suppose....

i use tesco sucralose sweetner.... the yellow topped one

Care to elaborate *Honey? - I mean how does it compare to say, sugar, or does it have a saccharine (sp?) taste?

Suitable for drinks & cereal? I'm sore tempted to go back to half spoon and count the syns - at least my coffee will taste better;)

Any Splenda users or do any of the supermarkets do sample/tester packs?

well............. no sweetner to me tastes like sugar. I have learnt to tolerate it in tea/coffee, but its by no means like sugar.
I cant notice the difference within cooking using the sweetner.
For cereal, i have changed to honey. its the crunch i like of real sugar, so sweetner just fizzes and i dont like it.
So i think if its the sugar you like on your cereal, i think i'd just syn it. thats what syns are for.

Re: Sugars & Sweeteners?

I've been baking this weekend with splenda for the first time and know what you mean by the taste. The cakes looked like cakes but the taste wasn't really there due to the lack of sugar. I'm undecided whether to give up or give it another go hoping I'll get used to the taste.

I really like the Silver Spoon granulated sweetener in the pinky purple topped jars. There doesnt seem to be any nasty aftertastes to it, it sweetens as it is meant to. I also carry their tablet sweetener if I am going to someones house.

Thanks ladies;)

I just can't get used to not having sugar and cream in my coffee - (not instant coffee) and while I can syn it, I am aware it might be deemed a waste of syns - to be used more creatively, although I never go over my syns.

I'll try some others I go shopping again tomorrow - will try Sainsburys, Morrisons and Asda! (half day off)

In coffee I use the sweetness and light mini cubes and although it's not exactly sugar, it is the best substitute I've found (no bitter aftertaste.)
I think you can also find it in granule form.

ruby

Thanks ladies;)

I just can't get used to not having sugar and cream in my coffee - (not instant coffee) and while I can syn it, I am aware it might be deemed a waste of syns - to be used more creatively, although I never go over my syns.

I'll try some others I go shopping again tomorrow - will try Sainsburys, Morrisons and Asda! (half day off)

your syns are there for you to use on whatever you want, whatever will keep you on plan. so if your happy spending your syns on sugar and cream in your coffee, then go for it.

I think of syns like money.... some people choose to spend their money on fags an booze...... i prefer spending on clothes or a facial/massage etc.... each to their own and its all personal choice.
I wouldnt spend my syns on cream and sugar in a coffee, but you might think that spending some of my syns on honey on my breakfast is a waste, but not to me.

I think the general consensus is that the sucralose based ones are better than aspartame and that both of these are better than sacharrin which has the aftertaste

Splenda used to be the only sucralose sweetener until recently but now Asda and Tesco sell their own brand in both tablet and granular form

But in the end it is down to personal taste so you need to find what suits you best

I wish they sold tester or sample packs. I've gone with a Silverspoon one from Sainsbury's - forget the exact name.:eek:

Edit: it was the MadameLaMinx one I think. Pink/purple top, Sweetness & light or something lol.

Re: Sugars & Sweeteners?

Oh this was my first problem when I first started dieting and managed to get through tons of different sweeteners but I finally found one I love SPLENDER I love it I use tablet form for drinks and granules for everything else, in fact I use the tesco own brand granules sometimes as it's alot cheaper and the same it's the tub with the yellow lid! There is no rank after taste like with sweetex or sweet n low and it's not like mega fake sweet like most either! Good luck x

Thanks Ally. First cuppa with the Silver Spoon was v nice - will try on cereal in the morning. Will try Splenda next probably - assuming I don't stick with the Silver Spoon lol.

Steve

I just bought some agave syrup as i can't stand the sweetner aftertaste :jelous:

I hope it's good! It's 1/2 a syn for a tsp so half the synnage as sugar. I think i'll try it in my coffee & if it's good i might make some lemon curd mmmm

Hi Maximus, I know what you mean re sugar/sweetner, I gave up sugar in my tea (3 heaped spoons in every cup kinda gal I was) I can tolerate tea without it, but when im hungover or ill I always have sugar in my tea. I use Canderel on my porridge, it actually tastes lovely, and im quite happy using that, prefer it to sugar actually. x

I know this is quite an old thread, but thought I would just add Xylitol to the list. It has no aftertaste (well not to me anyway), stays sweet in cooking, stays crunchy when cold, just like sugar. It is half a syn for a teaspoon, so half the syns of sugar. I've not seen it in supermarkets, I get mine from my local health food store or you can get it online.

Just wanted to add that I have been using Aldis own brand powder sweetener, which is a sucralose based one like splenda, and its lovely and cheap compared to the branded ones.

Well Splenda claims to be made from sugar so surely the closest in taste. As for baking you have to remember sugar is not only for taste but bulk as well so will give a different texture.

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins

Has anyone tried Truvia, Tate&Lyle and pre via. how do they compare to sugar in cooking. I don't take sugar with tea/coffee but sometimes would like to use with yougart or baking.

Back