Sunday Roast Dinner Advice Please x

MidLifeCrisis

Morning all xxx
I'm attempting my first SW roast dinner today! It's no secret that my love of cooking has got me here, so I need to make a few adjustments and unfortunately haven't had a roast dinner since starting SW, simply because I feel (rightly or wrongly) it's sacrilege to not cook roast potatoes, yorkshires and gravy with the fat and juices from the meat, so my pompous head wouldn't let me try lol x
So today I have a HUGE slab of beef in the kitchen (first adjustment, pork and its crackling, stuffing are def nono's simply cannot have pork without them!) and am ready to give it a go. What I want help with are these adjustments. What is YOUR way of making them, and how do you find it?
Do you use fry light for the yorkshires? or just the roasties?
I'm afraid my allergy to certain e numbers has left me a 'food snob' with has left me with a lovely belly and bum to match!
Be really really grateful for other keen cooks to advise.
Cheers
xx

I microwave steam my roasties and parsnips rather than parboil, and then just stick them on a sprayed baking tray and spray with better than butter frylite..
40 mins in the oven with a chicken breast at 200°C while the veg steams in the electric steamer..

I don't do yorkies but I'm sure that the aunt bessies ones are ok for a few syns each (1-4 syns each depending on type ).

I do this most nights as it's easy and I like a nice roast dinner..

MidLifeCrisis said:
Morning all xxx
I'm attempting my first SW roast dinner today! It's no secret that my love of cooking has got me here, so I need to make a few adjustments and unfortunately haven't had a roast dinner since starting SW, simply because I feel (rightly or wrongly) it's sacrilege to not cook roast potatoes, yorkshires and gravy with the fat and juices from the meat, so my pompous head wouldn't let me try lol x
So today I have a HUGE slab of beef in the kitchen (first adjustment, pork and its crackling, stuffing are def nono's simply cannot have pork without them!) and am ready to give it a go. What I want help with are these adjustments. What is YOUR way of making them, and how do you find it?
Do you use fry light for the yorkshires? or just the roasties?
I'm afraid my allergy to certain e numbers has left me a 'food snob' with has left me with a lovely belly and bum to match!
Be really really grateful for other keen cooks to advise.
Cheers
xx

I love a roast.

So it would be an EE Day for me or a red day:-

Roast Pork - on a casserole tray rack to let juices come out - and cook as per instructions. Serve without crackling!!

Roast Potatoes - if a green day leave skins of new potatoes on and weigh a HEB amount. Otherwise, peel & cut potato into very large chunks and bring to the boil. Parboil for no longer than 4 mins. Drain thoroughly - return to pan and shake.
Spray a chip tray with frylight and put potatoes on top trying not to overlap. Resprat with frylight. Cook in oven for about 1 hr

Roast BNS - peel and quarter and roast at the same time as potatoes - 0 syns.

Pigs in blankets - Joes chipolatas wrapped in the healthy bacon - all fat removed - 0 syns. In the oven for about 20-30 mins

Roasted carrots & parsnips (synned or HEB) peeled and cut into julienne . Place in a roasting dish spray with frylight and cover with foil for 40 mins - uncover for 20 mins

Any other veg eg broccoli, cabbage

Mashed Swede

INDIVIDUAL YORKSHIRE PUDDINGS
10.7 syns total

Preheat oven to 180 deg fan / 210 deg C

Ingredients
Frylight
1 egg, beaten
75ml SS Milk (from HEA)
75ml water
60g plain flour
About 1 tsp salt
Some dried mixed herbs

Spray frylight into a muffin tray and heat up in oven for a good 20 mins.

Mix up all the ingredients to make a batter in a large jug

This bit needs to be done quickly:-

Remove muffin tray from oven & pour equal amounts of batter into each muffin hole (should make 11) & return to oven for about 20 mins - but check!

Once ready they should be well risen & golden , but fluffy & light !!!

Stuffing - Paxo - and syn - each ball is around 1.5 or thereabouts or make your own :-

RED ONION & LEMON STUFFING BALLS
Serves 1

Preheat Oven to 160 deg fan (180 degC)

INGREDIENTS
Frylight
1 medium red onion, finely chopped
1 large garlic clove, crushed
1 tsp dried tarragon
1 Tblsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
1/4 tsp splenda
1 HEB breadcrumbs
Salt & Pepper

Spray a medium sized frying pan with frylight, and fry the garlic & onions until soft.
Add the tarragon and fry for a further minute.

Remove from heat and stir in the breadcrumbs, seasoning & splenda.

Add the lemon juice to bind

Shape into 3 large stuffing balls and place onto a prepared tin sprayed with frylight (I use a cupcake tin).
Spray frylight on top

Bake for about 30 mins or until golden.

Gravy - synned of course

Enjoy

Kx

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins

Last edited:
The only gravy good enough to grace a roast dinner is from stew. Let me explain, next time you make beef stew add a little more cooking liquid and an extra oxo then just before eating ladle out a portion of gravy and freeze for when you need it. The best gravy ever and completely free.

jilly said:
The only gravy good enough to grace a roast dinner is from stew. Let me explain, next time you make beef stew add a little more cooking liquid and an extra oxo then just before eating ladle out a portion of gravy and freeze for when you need it. The best gravy ever and completely free.

That is a brilliant idea Jilly. I'm defo going to do that next time I make stew. Don't know why I've never thought of it!

jilly said:

What a fabulous idea!! I will certainly try that.
This Xmas I made the best ever non SW gravy. It used the cooking juices from my meats, plus stock plus a wine glass of sherry plus the liver giblets - then blitzed, then sieved!!

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins

Back