Sunday roast

Caz

Repeat Offender
Today I've discovered the S&S Sunday roast!

Chicken breast (works out around 100g once cooked)
100g swede cut into four 'blocks'
50g cauliflower
50g broccoli

Par boil the swede, put in the oven with a couple of sprays of fry light and cook for 30 minutes.
I put pepper and thyme on the chicken, cooked in the oven for 15-20 minutes.
Boil the veg.
I made a little gravy type thing using bullion but apparently we can have oxo cubes too.

Viola! A very tasty, very filling sunday roast a la Slim and Save! I don't feel the need to say no to family Sunday lunches anymore, I can just make it like this to fit the diet :) You could use cabbage too, I would have but ran out of veg allowance.

Here's a picture before I added the gravy.

Last edited:
ForumRunner_20130203_190820.png

Oops here's the picture

Looks fab!!!!! Where on earth did you get a great idea like that from!? Hahahaha!! Glad it came out well!! I never bothered in the end - stuck to chicken and swede chips!! Yum!! xxxx

Best idea ever!

That actually looks genuinely appealing. Where are you and have you got any left?!!!

That looks lush! In my fridge there is currently chicken breast and swede - nothing else. In my freezer the only veg I have is cauliflower and broccoli... it must be fate so guess what I'm having for dinner tomorrow!

Can I ask about parboiling the swede? When I parboil potatoes for roasties I cook them for 15 mins til they are soft enough to get a knife right the way through and the outside goes all fluffy, do you parboil swede for the same amount of time? Until a knife goes through?

Yup did the swede just like I do normal roasties. Worked well!

Uhh you know Mrs B I'm not sure where I got the idea from!! :p

Sorry no leftovers, was well and truly scoffed! Might become a Sunday regular.

Not trying to be a bad influence but a Tesco Value yorkshire pudding (tastes the same as regular yorkshires just smaller!) is 36 cals and 5g carbs - ingredients being: Wheat Flour,Water ,Pasteurised Egg White ,Vegetable Oil ,Pasteurised Egg ,Dried Skimmed Milk ,Salt

I'm going to choose the lowest carb packs tomorrow and see if I have enough cals/carbs spare! The old me would have had at least 10 roasties and 4 yorkshire puds (normal sized ones, not small value ones) so deliberating over having one tiny yorkshire is a massive step forward!

im really starting to look foward to my sunday dinners. Its the only day i have a real meal and last night was a real treat, even if i wasnt on this diet.
I had 60g of fillet steak, a bantam/small poached egg with leaks, brocoli and sweed chips up to 200g. I almost died it was soo good! Felt soo full after tho i needed a lie down..

photo.JPG <<<<< Click on the pic to see at full size

Tuesday roast! 259 cals, 21g carbs, 3g fat & 34g protein. Considering the spaghetti pack has 20g of carbs I'm thrilled that I have just eaten a good sized normal meal for so few calories and carbs, I didn't think it was possible!

I've obviously eaten all the other components before but the swede 'roasties' were a revelation, really nice and so much lower in calories and carbs than potatoes. Thanks Caz for the fab idea :D

100g chicken breast, I sprinkled italian herbs on the smaller piece at teh top of the plate as a trial (129 cals and no carbs)
100g frozen cabbage (16 cals and 2g carbs)
160g swede, parboiled as per Caz's 'recipe' and cooked with frylight spray (42 cals and 8g carbs)
2 x Tesco value yorkshire puds (36 cals and 5.4g of carbs each)

Without the small yorkshire puds (which were a treat as I could factor in the carbs) it would only have been 187 cals and 10g carbs!

Last edited:
Had this again tonight, the 'potatoes' were even more delicious this time round as I cooked them in a pressure cooker type thing in the microwave to parboil them and even though they were only in for 10 mins they were really soft, way softer than I would normally aim for but it just made the insides melting-ly delicious. Can see this being a staple on S&S and hopefully beyond as it's actually a completely normal size (and delicious) meal for 259 calories - probably half the cals than in the usual type of sandwich I would have eaten pre-S&S!

I often have a sunday roast with the family just miss the spuds and yorkies- I love it. Haven't tried swede roasties though- will try!

ooh i'm definately going to try the roast swede now :)

Hi there, sorry for butting in but when you weigh your veg do you weigh it raw or cooked? Thank you.

I always weigh raw as I find it easier, but swede is always much lighter once cooked.

I go raw, too complicated weighing it cooked!

I weigh raw but normally weigh about 230g to allow for some shrinkage/ lighter on most of the veg i use once cooked. It is offically 200g of cooked weight veg acording to S&S but like people say, it is quite difficult to weigh it once cooked if you are just cooking it for yourself.
If you are cooking a lot for others too then I guess it would be just as easy to cook it all and then weigh yourself out your allowence once cooked

kat x

Back