Superfree Foods - help needed!

laurenmay

Gold Member
I'm a very fussy eater, and I'm struggling with the superfree foods, as there's not many I actually like on the lists!

I'll write down the superfree foods from the lists in the food optimising book that I like, and if you could all help me find ways of incorporating them into my meals so I get to eat them then I'd be so grateful!

Superfree Fruits -

* Apples
* Bananas
* Clementines
* Grapes
* Nectarines
* Raspberries (not a huge fan though)
* Satsumas
* Strawberries
* Tangarines

Superfree Veggies -

* Baby sweet corn
* Broccoli
* Carrots
* Mushrooms
* Swede
* Tinned Tomatoes

Must note that until I go food shopping again on Thursday, that the only items from both lists I actually have are:

* Apples
* Bananas
* Clementines
* Frozen raspberries
* Frozen strawberries

* Frozen mixed veg bags - contain carrot, sweetcorn and peas.
* Mushrooms
* Tinned tomatoes

There are loads of things you can do with these. I'll focus on the veggies because you can snack on the fruit, have it with cereal or porridge for brekkie, with yoghurt or as puddings.

As for the veggies you could have soups, curries, chilli, savoury rice, quiche, pasta bakes, risotto, stroganoff, carbonara, paella, kedgeree, jambalaya, pasta sauces, or just as part of a cooked breakfast,

For the next 6 days the only veggies I have here are mushrooms, tinned tomatoes & frozen mixed veg bags.. So I'm a bit stuck on what to do with them? Buying more veg is out of the question until I do the food shopping next Thursday cause we're absolutely broke..

I know I could have the frozen mixed veg on the side of my food if I have chicken or what not.. but apart from making a sort of bolognese with the tomatoes and mushrooms like I did earlier - quorn mince with chopped mushrooms & tinned tomatoes - then I'm not sure what else to do with them? I'm not a cooked brekkie fan...

Like I said you can make all of the dishes mentioned about using just the veggies you have. Take a look in the recipe sub-forum and check out slimmingeats.com for inspiration. If you see something you fancy but don't have the veggies it mentions then just swap them for what you do have. :)

I think tomorrow I'll have an omelette lunch time, but the only veggies I'll have to put into that are mushrooms - will that cover my 1/3 superfree foods if I'm only to have mushrooms with that meal?

I'm definitely gonna try a pasta bake soon, I've never been much of a cook but think SW will be changing that! Lol :)

I'm having this tonight just swapping out the turkey for a vegetarian sausage. You could do it with your chicken and frozen veggies

Savoury Rice | Slimming Eats - Slimming World Recipes

Or mushroom risotto

mushroom risotto | Slimming Eats - Slimming World Recipes

You could adapt this to make an egg curry by swapping the oil for frylight or dry frying, using curry powder

Creamy egg curry recipe - Recipes - BBC Good Food

Omelettes are really good because you can have lots of different fillings in them.

Lots of people around here have learned to cook again or from scratch after joining SW so don't worry. I'm sure you'll soon be trying lots of new dishes :)

Thank you :) do you think I'd be having enough superfree for lunch tomorrow of mushrooms are the only form of veggies in my omelette?

I just had a look at the savoury rice recipe - am I right in thinking its only 1.5 syns cause of the soy sauce? I don't like soy sauce so if I leave it out would it be zero syns?

If you have spices you could always make a Veg curry always a hit in my house but remember those dream Veg bags only have carrots in that are superfree pesa and sweetcorn are only free

Yeah I know, in the superfree it states baby sweetcorn though? So not sure if the sweetcorn would be superfree in the mixed veg bags...

My OH went to tesco for me this morning so now I've got plenty of veggies - broccoli, carrots, mushrooms, swede, potato, stir fry veggies and onions.

You can do some great things with tinned tomatoes, they are my staple food now! If you mix some pepper or Italian herbs or flavouring of your choice in there it makes a perfect topping for pasta or stew. Or if you mix in some fat-free fromage frais/yoghurt and curry powder, they make a curry sauce. And you can also sneak in some extra veggies because you can't taste them so much under the tomatoes.

For fruit, I'd reccommend smoothies which are really filling, for breakfast or a snack. Just blend all the stuff up (particularly strawberries and bananas) with some milk.

Hope this helps!

Katy_the_kelt said:
For fruit, I'd reccommend smoothies which are really filling, for breakfast or a snack. Just blend all the stuff up (particularly strawberries and bananas) with some milk.

Hope this helps!

You have to syn smoothies, they aren't free!

Katy_the_kelt said:
You can do some great things with tinned tomatoes, they are my staple food now! If you mix some pepper or Italian herbs or flavouring of your choice in there it makes a perfect topping for pasta or stew. Or if you mix in some fat-free fromage frais/yoghurt and curry powder, they make a curry sauce. And you can also sneak in some extra veggies because you can't taste them so much under the tomatoes.

Hope this helps!

Smoothies would be synned though....

laurenmay said:
Yeah I know, in the superfree it states baby sweetcorn though? So not sure if the sweetcorn would be superfree in the mixed veg bags...

My OH went to tesco for me this morning so now I've got plenty of veggies - broccoli, carrots, mushrooms, swede, potato, stir fry veggies and onions.

Baby sweetcorn are the mini Spears so sweetcorn kernels which tend to be in Veg bags are not sf :(

laurenmay said:
Oh poo :( well at least I've got plenty of fruits and veggies that are on the superfree list here now!

Yeah if i make a Veg curry i put the Veg bags in as im usually adding tomatoes and onions too or make Veg pakoras by mixing with smash and spices and baking in oven

Carrot & swede mashed together are nice as a side dish or as a topping for cottage/fish pie. Have you tried making veg soup? You could throw in any combination of veg you have and blend it, herbs and spices can jazz it up a bit too. Also blended veg could be used as a sauce with pasta/rice/meat or fish.

i usually put a handful of frozen peppers and tomatoes in my omelettes. the omelette disguises the taste of veg really anyway so you could put anything in there lol

Back