Susie's 2022 campaign

Hey team

Sleep was elusive again last night - either RLS would kick in or I'd have a little panic attack thinking I couldn't breathe, so was awake from 12-7am - but just had a long chat with the doc about it. He's going to put me on a short course of sleeping pills - neither of us want to do that but I'm exhausted, so it's just for a few days. I'm also getting an iron test because he said a hospital blood test showed I'm anaemic and that's a major cause of RLS - if it is the case then it will take 3 months to rectify but it's just so amazing to think I might have a future which is RLS free!!!

All of which actually makes me a little ashamed - I've been so busy trying to self diagnose using Google and forums for years, when really one visit to the doctor might have answered a load of problems. Oh well, live and learn.

Sx

Sorry to hear about your bad night. I think if I was sleeping so badly as you I would definitely consider the pills.

Great to hear that you RLS may be cleared up soon:)

That’s good news about the blood test, it’s better to know and start treatment. I really hope it sorts your RLS out. I second Katherine and I would take the sleeping tablets. Have a better night sweetheart x

Sorry to read you have been so unwell.

One of my sisters had Atrial fibrillation. They had to stop her heart and start it again. She kept getting it so they had to put a line from her groin to her heart to fix it.

It's natural to google our problems but there is so much false info out there we shouldn't do it. Same with taking extra vitamins etc. Unless you have been professionally diagnosed then there is no need to take them. Self diagnosis can be more dangerous.

Try and get lots of rest and sounds like you have a good dr to look after you.:)

I always google everything and it defo isn't the best thing to do.

It's just so easy to have a wee look though then you give yourself the absolute fear most times.

Sorry you had a bad night but that is good news that you may be RLS free soon.

Thanks for all your feedback ladies, very helpful.

A quiet day, I feel quite at a loose end now but can't do much around the cottage because I get instantly puffed out, and one leg is twitching away (have to really cut right back on the amount of magnesium I was taking, it had got to scarily dangerous levels!), so might go to bed and sulk :D.

If the leg eases up a bit then I can do some SW planning, which is always fun :).

Morning all

Talked with my GP recently and he has persuaded me to go the Med Diet route for now - it's heart healthy etc, and I enjoy the food, so started today. No calorie counting, just trying to keep to the rough guidelines. Not much red meat, which is fine, i don't eat much of it - and NO PIZZA!!!!

B - chopped apple and yogurt, coffee
L - feta stuffed peppers and salad with lemon dressing
D - fasolakia and harissa cauliflower
S - fruit, crudites and h/m hummus

Just wish it was nice and warm Med weather outside! Must think of some soups to make up.

Morning all

Early days yet but diet is proving to be the way forward - after a good low carb/Med menu yesterday, I had only 2 small bouts of RLS overnight and am 3lbs down this morning. Used olive oil in a lovely sausage and bean stew with harissa paste, and didn't overeat, it was so filling.

Not rocket science, is it - eat good food and feel better! :classic_roll_eyes:

Hope you're all doing ok xx

All this health stuff is not going to have a quick fix, I don't think, feel like there's a small improvement, then something else happens - and some slight grossness coming up in the latest instalment - BTW hope you don't mind me posting it all here, it's a good reminder for me in terms of what's happening, when...

Am up at half 12 after a panic attack thing drove me out of bed, and now got RLS going merrily away in one leg. Both legs are swollen and feel heavy and a bit painful - full of fluid, i think. The cellulitis infection has pretty much gone but the leg it affected is constantly wet from watery blisters front and back. I'm back at the GP today for the blood tests so will show them and see what they suggest - and will pick up the sleeping pills (forgot all about them!).

In the meantime my neighbour is proving to be worth her weight in gold - has promised to strim the garden, do a quick vacuum, fix the broken latch on the gate, etc. I've always been fiercely independent and find it hard to ask for help, but she is being completely amazing and generous with her time. Must think of a way to say thanks. I did manage to get all the recycling out for the binmen tomorrow but horror of horrors discovered a huge slug on the kitchen floor ewww - I hate them!

Foodwise, doing ok -
B/L - brown soughdough with eggs fried in olive oil, plus a little mozzarella - stuffed, didn't need lunch!
D - sausage, bean and veg casserole - really lovely - and more for tomorrow
S - ginger nuts (oops) with tea

Now just having a cup of tea and some rosemary crackers before my fast starts at 2am.

Sxxx

Last edited:
I do listen to a few podcasts but you've just reminded me, I downloaded an app on the iPad called Calm - will go and try it now xx.

The pain about RLS is it doesn't matter how tired I am, if the leg is jerking, that keeps me awake. I'm lucky in that it only happens in one leg at a time, some people get it all night ion both legs and arms!

Thanks all - had a good sesh with the nurse/GP today and we have a plan!

1. Flutter gets fixed next week
2. Breathlessness goes
3. Leg - antibiotics and steroids - will be all fixed in a few weeks hopefully
4. Diet - back on SW but weighing in at the surgery - plus they want me to try Orlistat
5. Fitness - lose a few stone first and then start a gentle exercise plan using the Wii

Feel a lot happier with these steps in place, and the surgery was great, very supportive. Yaye!

Back