Susie's 2022 campaign

Great that you are back with a bang Susie

Welcome back :) so happy that you're finally able to enjoy your home properly again with lovely kitchen, and your cashflow all sorted too. You so deserve this freedom.

Looking forward to sharing our journeys again.

As for bread I've not found any recipes that taste like bread really, but I've found things I like regardless.

those are great with curry, and anything with gravy or sauce and also make a nice one portion sized pizza base or to dunk in soup. I make 8 at a time and they freeze really well, I defrost them in the toaster if I'm in a hurry.

my 2nd fav are chaffles, they're not quite as good as the naans but still nice, not really like bread either but they work well for toasted sandwiches and dunking in soup.

my fave chaffle recipe is one egg, 2 tablespoons almond flour, 1 teaspoon psyllium husk, 1/2 teaspoon baking powder, a pinch of chilli flakes, half a cup of grated mozzarella, you want it to look quite thick so if it looks a bit runny add a bit more cheese. mix it up in a cup with a fork then pour on to your waffle maker, close the lid until it stops steaming, 3 or 4 mins in mine. my second fave chaffle recipe is the same but substitute the almond flour for 2 TEASPOONS of coconut flour. The ones without flour just taste of egg.

Chaffles also freeze really well, but they're so fast to make it's a dilemma. They're so fast to make so may as well make one at a time, but.... they're so fast to make may as well do a batch haha. I tend to make 6 or 8 and freeze, then make 2 at a time if I've run out and want more quickly. My waffle maker is a double so it makes sense for me to always make 2.

both the naan and chaffle are much more filling than bread so 1 naan is plenty aside a curry etc or as a pizza, 1 chaffle is enough for a toasted sandwich or dunking in soup.

I've become such a chaffle geek...

Just dropping by to say l made an egg and coconut flour "bread" recipe wth baking powder. l do not recommend! The consistency is too spongey. l'll freeze & use it for a sort of Mara Emmerich keto stuffing, l think!

Morning all (and it is early, for me, 5.40am!)

After realising to my horror that I've put back on almost the entire 3 stone I lost after being in hospital a year ago, it's all good news to report - I've joined the Keto Fitness Club, a family company run out of Northampton which is just about the most practical way of doing keto that I've ever come across. They do a KICK workshop by Zoom which takes you through it all. I was already keen to do some form of LC or keto but this absolutely convinced me that it is going to be a much healthier way of eating for me. Their info is completely backed up by science and it it actually made me a bit angry that successive governments keep pushing the "grains are good" line when they have virtually no nutritional value whatsoever; and as for the 5 a day thing - don't get me started :).

Anyhoo, I'm definitely not here to convince anyone away from your eating plan if you're happy with it - but if you'd like to know more, ask away or have a look at their website. Their food products are expensive, but they sell their own ready made BREAD!!! It's called megga bread, which comes as a thinly sliced loaf, rolls and pizza bases. Again, expensive, but so worth it for me as all previous attempts to make LC bread were disastrous. Yesterday was Day 1 for me and I waited to see how long it would be before I was properly hungry - which ended up being 3pm! So I had a gorgeous Megga roll with streaky bacon, 2 fried eggs, a slice of cheese - and oh my, it was lush - but incredibly filling, I couldn't fit anything else in the rest of the day - so it was a mad mix of a 16 hour fast and dirty keto OMAD (go me with all the lingo lol). TBH I could have stopped eating the roll halfway through, but I'm in no rush to be too virtuous about it all.

The KFC also does loads of online things - cooking classes, exercise sessions and mental health sessions too - dealing with self sabotage is coming up on Monday night, and I will be in the front row (figuratively speaking), plus public and private members' FB groups. They also advocate making up an electrolyte drink (ACV, lemon juice, potassium in the form of cream of tartar, sea salt, water) and glugging that down all day.

Weighed in this morning and I am shocked to see I'm 3 lbs down, and my BMI is down 0.6. Got a long road to go, but I feel so positive and upbeat about this - so much so that I bought an annual membership for £100. Also, no smoking or alcohol now for 13 months woohoo :).

Did feel hungry this morning, and have just had 2 Bratwurst sossies and scrambled eggs with coffee and I am ready for the day!

@ChilliQueen thanks so much for the chaffle recipe and advice, you are a love - I've just bought a waffle/toastie/grill thing and am looking forward to trying it out. I can see a savoury waffle hitting the spot first thing in the morning!

Hope you're all well and happy, off to look at diaries now xxx

l love the kfc family. l couldn't go to KetoFest as mr AG was still recovering from hospital (still is). l did the KICK - it was great. Just a handful of us on the call so easy to ask questions. Really practcal. l have continued eating tomatoes (which l had thought were too high carb) and drinking my diet pop, because of Mark's helpful answers. l was too cash strapped to be a member at the time- but will rejoin soon - it's a bargain with the online exercise classes too.

Morning all (and it is early, for me, 5.40am!)

After realising to my horror that I've put back on almost the entire 3 stone I lost after being in hospital a year ago, it's all good news to report - I've joined the Keto Fitness Club, a family company run out of Northampton which is just about the most practical way of doing keto that I've ever come across. They do a KICK workshop by Zoom which takes you through it all. I was already keen to do some form of LC or keto but this absolutely convinced me that it is going to be a much healthier way of eating for me. Their info is completely backed up by science and it it actually made me a bit angry that successive governments keep pushing the "grains are good" line when they have virtually no nutritional value whatsoever; and as for the 5 a day thing - don't get me started :).

Anyhoo, I'm definitely not here to convince anyone away from your eating plan if you're happy with it - but if you'd like to know more, ask away or have a look at their website. Their food products are expensive, but they sell their own ready made BREAD!!! It's called megga bread, which comes as a thinly sliced loaf, rolls and pizza bases. Again, expensive, but so worth it for me as all previous attempts to make LC bread were disastrous. Yesterday was Day 1 for me and I waited to see how long it would be before I was properly hungry - which ended up being 3pm! So I had a gorgeous Megga roll with streaky bacon, 2 fried eggs, a slice of cheese - and oh my, it was lush - but incredibly filling, I couldn't fit anything else in the rest of the day - so it was a mad mix of a 16 hour fast and dirty keto OMAD (go me with all the lingo lol). TBH I could have stopped eating the roll halfway through, but I'm in no rush to be too virtuous about it all.

The KFC also does loads of online things - cooking classes, exercise sessions and mental health sessions too - dealing with self sabotage is coming up on Monday night, and I will be in the front row (figuratively speaking), plus public and private members' FB groups. They also advocate making up an electrolyte drink (ACV, lemon juice, potassium in the form of cream of tartar, sea salt, water) and glugging that down all day.

Weighed in this morning and I am shocked to see I'm 3 lbs down, and my BMI is down 0.6. Got a long road to go, but I feel so positive and upbeat about this - so much so that I bought an annual membership for £100. Also, no smoking or alcohol now for 13 months woohoo :).

Did feel hungry this morning, and have just had 2 Bratwurst sossies and scrambled eggs with coffee and I am ready for the day!

@ChilliQueen thanks so much for the chaffle recipe and advice, you are a love - I've just bought a waffle/toastie/grill thing and am looking forward to trying it out. I can see a savoury waffle hitting the spot first thing in the morning!

Hope you're all well and happy, off to look at diaries now xxx
You may have put weight back on , I did the same after I was in hospital , then got lymphoedema, ulcers, and cellulitis in both legs. You concentrated on getting well first then now you are changing your eating habits to lead a much healthier life. The Keto Fitness club sound perfect for you especially if you feel it is something you can committ to for life. I believe in long term rather than quick fixes that are not sustainable long term.

I do not do keto but sw. But I eat very little carbs. Not as low as you will be aiming for. But I eat plenty of protien else I am not full and go on the munchies eating all sort of rubbish. I have plenty of fruit and veg daily as well. For the past 11 months I have been doing sw I have enjoyed my food and the variety. If you enjoy it your more likely to stick to it long term.

@AliGal how fab that you know KFC too! And thanks everyone for your kind words and encouragement xxxxx

Day 3 and I'm going great guns - really enjoying the food, and very happy to have a LC friendly bread option too! Now showing 2lbs down on the scales, not 3 - which I think is partly to do with the cream in last night's pork Thai green curry - and like Ali I seem to do better, the later I have breakfast. So am learning as I go along, and just enjoying it. Focus now is on health, not weight loss, although that will happen too.

Also had a glorious 7 hours sleep last night, albeit in 1 and 2 hour chunks - and TBH I feel like I could happily pop back into bed for the day and doze/read!

Have a fab day xx

I've heard Aldi do a nice keto bread, I don't shop at ours due to 'ex' issues but I did think I might pop in to the one near my parents next time I visit and get some to try.

Glad to hear it's going well :)

That's sounds great Susie, I know you really like to have a plan to stick to. I must look them up. Looking forward to lots of updates from you, and the cats.

Updates coming up regularly @tipperary :D.

So, Day 4, I'm down 4 lbs, and really loving the food. Keeping it very simple for now, and the KFC bread is helping no end - it's incredibly filling, so i had a roll with bacon and cheese at 8am and probably won't eat again until about 7pm, if at all.

Don't know if it's to do with eating under 30g carbs a day but I had NO, repeat NO, RLS last night, until 7am this morning - which is the first time in ooh about five years! Still waking up every hour or two, but getting better quality sleep, it feels like. Long may it continue!

Tea, if I have it, will be crispy chicken coated in pork crackling panko mmm.

Felt peckish and made the chicken thighs with pork panko - and they are delicious! And zero carbs. Win win :).

Put out four with 2g carbs mayo - ate three and (wait for it) stopped eating!!!! We all know that's a rarer happening than Hugh Grant coming round for tea LOL.

Hugh Grant coming round for tea and no RSL. Amazing wins, Milady!

Are you using scratchings? Or did you make your own?

l'm making PSMF bread for the first time. l substituted inulin and erythritol for allulose so hope that works out. l have bought some nutritional yeast as l think the recipes wth NY will be more tasty. Not sure what else I can use it for.

I am really pleased that you are doing so well even better your enjoying the low carb eating . I like you never thought I would leave food on my plate but not unusual now, I seem now to recognise better the sensation of getting full then stop. What a wonderful side effect better quality of sleep, I will have a side order of that thankyou very much lol. Since I went into my menopause some 7 years ago sleep for me seems for whimps lol It then got worse when I got lymphoedema as I have to wear strappings 24/7 so I am wrapped up like a mummy great in winter but not so good during summer temperatures.

@AliGal I bought the Mrs Keto pork panko from Amazon to see if I liked it - and I do - but a 250g bag is about £5. I'm expecting a big box of pork scratchings next week so will make my own with a rolling pin and a plastic bag - I'll just imagine the bag is Boris Johnson...

@purpleorc I buy my compression stockings from Pebble and they do lymphoedema stockings too that might be a bit thinner - not sure they would be any good, but just thought I'd mention xxx.

Good news on the drains (because I know you're all breathless with anticipation about the ongoing saga of Susie's drains :D) - found a great company, we now know exactly what the problem is, they've quoted half what the other cowboys were quoting and they will claim directly on my insurance so i just have to pay the excess - such a relief!

Last edited:
@AliGal I bought the Mrs Keto pork panko from Amazon to see if I liked them, but am expecting a big box of pork scratchings so can make my own with a rolling pin - I'll just imagine the bag is Boris Johnson...

@purpleorc I buy my compression stockings from Pebble and they do lymphoedema stockings too that might be a bit thinner - worth having a look anyway maybe?

Good news on the drains (because I know you're all breathless with anticipation about the ongoing saga of Susie's drains :D) - found a great company, we now know exactly what the problem is, they've quoted half what the other cowboys were quoting and they will claim directly on my insurance so i just have to pay the excess - such a relief!
Thankyou @ladyfelsham I was given these compression bandages by the lymphoedema clinic, Since I first went I have lost 2.5 litres from one leg and 3 litres from the other. I go on Thursday to the the clinic, I will ask them if I am able to wear a thinner version because the ones I wears at present are in two parts and wrap round with velcro. Eat your heart out Nora batty ( a character from British tv who wore thick stockings that used to wrinkle at her ankle.)

Oh big hugs hun - you are doing amazingly well in coping with the condition!

I have what the nurse kindly called "Champagne calves" (more like magnum calves lol) and as you know, I've searched high and low for compression stockings that don't cut my circulation off completely! I've got a thicker pair of Pebble ones on now, if I miss a few days it looks like my fungal infection wants to come back - and we ain't having that! I kept pics of what my legs looked like last year, all those months of being painfully cleaned and bandaged every day, and they were really ghastly, it looked like a thick layer of yellowing cottage cheese - revolting! . Constant vigilance is what is needed - something I'm still getting used to xxx

Back