SW Chips

Hi folks

Didnt preboil them tonight (was popping to the chippy for OH so couldnt be bothered waiting for that before putting them in the oven), just dried them with kitchen paper and threw them in the oven with frylight at gas 7 for about 35 mins and they were fab! Less washing up too!:)

I use one of the new mesh baskets (you can get a round one for pizzas). It allows the heat to go right around the chips and if the tray isn't overloaded, no need to turn them. It works fantasic on sw roast potatoes too. I paid about £3 for mine from Poundstretcher.

I use one of the new mesh baskets (you can get a round one for pizzas). It allows the heat to go right around the chips and if the tray isn't overloaded, no need to turn them. It works fantasic on sw roast potatoes too. I paid about £3 for mine from Poundstretcher.

I got one from a place called homebargins or quality save, is cost me £1.99

Maris pipers are definitely the best spuds for SW chips. I still parboil them as I like to shake them up and get rough edges. I'm interested in the mesh basket thing though. Always seem to end up with unevenly cooked chips.

Might pop to poundstretcher over the weekend and see what I can find.

I think the type of potato you use does make a difference. Maris Piper is good, so are the Roosters.

I don't even parboil mine first now to be honest, but then I use a tablespoon of oil (hex B) to cook them, which is why they come out so nice I think. I also pre-heat the baking tray as someone else here said, so they sizzle when they go in the oven. I do them at gas mark 8 for 30-40 minutes.

I also sprinkle them with Fajita spice which makes them extra gorgeous!

*must stop eating chips*

Aaargh! Am having real trouble getting my chips nice. Have tried parboiling them and leaving them to dry out, tried different oven temps and still rubbish - either crispy but no potato in them, or not cooked properly after hours!

Think I may try not parboiling next...

I dont boil mine first... i just scrub the potatoes, cut them into wedges (I like them thick), spray a tray with Fry Light, put the wedges on it, spray them with fry light too. sprinkle over garlic salt or garlic granules (just a little) and a little bit of season all to colour, bung them in, turn half way through and thats it. I love them.

I parboil mine for 5 mins and then grill them for 15 mins, turning occasionally. They get really crispy and fluffy!

Back