SW + Dairy free + Breastfeeding

myszka

I'm just on day 4 of SW and I'm having really great difficulty!!

I'm breastfeeding and I tend to get hungry when I feed my girl, which is every 2 hours. So I'm trying to snack on super/free foods and have proper meals as well. But it's just not enough!!
I'm entitled to 3-4 Healthy Extra As as well, and as I'm dairy free I'm super struggling. The only cheese is lacto-free and it gives me stomach ache so I can't be having it every day. Short of just necking soya milk *ick* how am I supposed to fill that requirement!

I also struggle because so many easy to grab foods are dairy like fat free cheese or yogurt. Which I can't have! And soya yogurt has syns so I just end up using all my syns on just trying to stay feeling full.

I think my next step is just to keep cooked pasta and rice and potatoes in the fridge to try and stodge up my snacks.

For example, at 2 I ate a pot of pineapple chunks, an apple, half a pack of ham and now I've just fed the baby and I'm SO HUNGRY :sigh:

Someone help!! I know I can have the full 15 syns every day because I'm breastfeeding but I can't seem to use them cleverly enough to feel full. Ever. In the night last night I had 2 bananas and a bunch of grapes and I was still getting up to go down to get food after I fed the baby.

How about 2x portion of heb porridge mixed with an alpro yogurt and topped with some fresh fruit.
A hot chocolate made with your hea choice. Filling and comforting or a decaf coffee, again made with your hea milk.
I sympathise as I was starving when feeding but unlike you I gave into chocolate and ended up fatter than before lol

I did give in to bourbon biscuits. My dairy free weakness. I weigh a stone and a half more than I did the day she was born :'( she's almost 7 months now I need to sort myself out!
Hmm I must look up the syns in nesquick..

Ah, I'd forgotten they would need to be synned. I think they are 1.5-2 each.
I joined when my youngest was 8 months and lost 3 1/2 stone in 6 months. You can do this:)
Are you drinking enough? I know if I didn't drink at least 2L of water a day I would be starving. X

Have you tried the alternative milks? Almond. coconut and oat milks can all be used as an A choice.

Check out other sources of calcium: tinned salmon, almonds/Brazil nuts, dried figs - and I think oranges are a source as well. I know almonds/figs/Brazil nuts are allowed as a B choice but under the circumstances, perhaps you could swop an A choice for an extra B choice and have the nuts/figs?

Have you discussed with your Consultant the possibilitiy of trading an A choice for extra Syns? I don't think this has ever been suggested (officially, anyway!) but I do believe you have to adapt a diet to suit circumstances. (Discalimer - this is my opinion and does not reflect SW policy :))

I've heard that Cheerios are a source of Calcium but I don't know if that is an urban myth. If true, perhaps you could use a few Syns on those with a nut milk?

Louise I probably don't drink anowhere near enough. I've always struggled with feeling dehydrated. I hadn't thought about that affecting appetite! Definitely will take in more fluids. Amazing weight loss by the way!

Patty I will mention both of those ideas to my consultant. There must be easier ways of getting calcium than necking soya or almond milk which isn't the tastiest!! I really don't know if they'd let me swap it for syns. I had wondered similar to that, but I'm still so new to the process I'm trying to make sense of it all!

Good luck with the Consultant! As I see it, if you swapped an A choice for an extra B choice then you would still be restricted to the same number of calories (even though SW doesn't work on calorie counting ....).

What I should have said, but don't think I did, was IF you're allowed to swap for extra Syns, then those Syns should be used for 'good' things such as soya yogurts and not crisps, chocolate etc. But I'm sure you realised that was what I meant! ;)

I can't remember iF options has whey powder in it which is from milk so I can't have it :( but thanks for the ideas! I had milk with cocoa powder and sweetener last night when I was desperate for a fix, it was okay. Went over my syns though.

Still having difficulty feeling hungry all the time.

Have you spoken to your consultant yet?
I would just go with the flow at the moment, eat when hungry but try and grab superfree first. Frozen grapes are my life saver as I can have a bowl full and not feel guilty and they take a long time to eat.
I would probably tweak some of the dairy free yogurts as my hea and not syn them. X

Back