SW + exercise = weight gain?

I have been on SW for six months and have only managed lose 18lbs :(

Since this time I have also been exercising on and off and the weeks I have done plenty of exercise I have gained weight :rolleyes:

Last week I had a fab SW week, swam 3 times and was really hopeful to get my 1 and 1/2 stone award. (Needed to lose 1 1/2 lb.) I was absolutely gutted to have gained 1 1/2 lb and was so ready to throw in the towel.

At the moment I am loving the exercise and have started a running programme at the gym and feel more confident with the exercise than I do with SW.

Does anyone else feel like this, I am really not seeing the point of continuing with SW if I get weight gains with exercise or over time, should this start to show?

I have done SW over many years to know how the plan works so its not that I don't know what to eat etc.

I am really confused with the whole SW and exercise thing, I hear so many conflicting stories!!

I lost 4 stone last year and didnt really exercise, partly because I felt too large to do so!
I gained half a stone at Christmas and am slowly getting rid of it but all my new thinner clothes are still fitting and even if I dont have a good weight loss I do feel thinner. Sometimes , unfortunatley, the scales dont show what we want but I think you are doing excellently to be so active. x

I don't exercise very often but when I do my weight losses for that week are less, at first I didn't understand it.Following several posts I became clear why.

I go the gym and swimming at least 3 times a week.

One week I had a week where I gained 2.5lbs and couldn't understand why.

I spoke to some of the trainers at gym and did some research on the internet and discovered it was probably due to no drinking enough. The following week I mad sure I was drinking at least 2litres a day and more on the days I went to the gym and/or swimming and I lost 5lbs!!!

Keep at it, it will pay off in the end!!

ermintrude said:
It's not a myth, its just that everybody alway describes it wrong. Of course a pound of fat / muscle / feathers all WEIGH the same but but they have different densities - if you use the same VOLUME of fat / muscle / feathers (eg a litre, or a shoebox or whatever) the muscle would weigh more than the fat which would weigh more than the feathers.

Muscle is more dense so weighs more by volume. You can weigh 14 stone and take up I dunno, a size 12. Then exercise for a few weeks and you might still weigh 14 stone but be a size 10 because the muscle takes up less space than the fat did, it's more dense.

Well put! I tear my hair out reading the different explainations of this in various places. This is the best I've seen it a great, simple but clear explanation :)

I have been on SW for six months and have only managed lose 18lbs :(

Since this time I have also been exercising on and off and the weeks I have done plenty of exercise I have gained weight :rolleyes:

Last week I had a fab SW week, swam 3 times and was really hopeful to get my 1 and 1/2 stone award. (Needed to lose 1 1/2 lb.) I was absolutely gutted to have gained 1 1/2 lb and was so ready to throw in the towel.

At the moment I am loving the exercise and have started a running programme at the gym and feel more confident with the exercise than I do with SW.

Does anyone else feel like this, I am really not seeing the point of continuing with SW if I get weight gains with exercise or over time, should this start to show?

I have done SW over many years to know how the plan works so its not that I don't know what to eat etc.

I am really confused with the whole SW and exercise thing, I hear so many conflicting stories!!

Very topical in our hosue at the moment. I lost 4 stone with hardly any exercise but have started doing it now. My daughter at uni does SW and has started running ( went 4 times this week ) and put on a pound and a half to day and was absolutley gutted! Its not the first time I have heard this - like the others say, maybe its best to keep an eye on how your clothes are feeling / looking and not just the scales x

It took me 3 years to lose 3 stone (definatley the scenic route!) and I was my groups 1st diamond target member last year, since then I have lost another 7lb and will have stayed at my new target another year come August. My weight plateaued so many times and when I was exercising I sometimes maintained or gained. My consultant advised me to drink more water as you need to hydrate your body more and the weight started to come off again (slowly still) but just think how far you have come up to now, you have a better chance of maintaining your fab loss if you don't lose it too quickly - good luck and hope that helps you - keep going!:D

Back