SW friendly iron rich food

Sio

Hello all, I've been on iron tablets as slightly anaemic and nearly finished. I'd like to know of some iron rich food I can eat and still stay on plan as the tablets mess with my digestion and give me heartburn.

So far all I can think of is spinach and Guiness :D

Any dark green leafy foods are good iron sources, spinach, kale, watercress, cabbage, broccoli, sprouts, peas etc. Red meat is also a good bet. Lots of info on the interweb about it.

Iron-rich foods include:
  • dark-green leafy vegetables, such as watercress and curly kale
  • iron-fortified bread
  • beans
  • nuts
  • meat
  • apricots
  • prunes
  • raisins

liver is rich in iron aswell

Try having a glass of orange juice if you can spare the syns as it helps with the absorbtion of the iron tablets.

I used to be anaemic and the best thing you could do is to have vitamin c with your iron rich meal too as this helps absorption. I used to have ribena or juice. You could have no added sugar squash or just have high in vit c veg with your meal too?

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins

I was on iron tablets last year too and my advice would be to also up your fibre! ;)

I'm on iron tablets although as I get diarrhoea I can only take them for four days with a weeks break....it'll take me years to get my levels up lol!
I take vitamin c tablets before a meal, try baby spinach raw rather than cooked, (increases the vitamin c).
Limit the calcium taken at the same time as iron rich foods..so a watercress sandwich would be better with ham/beef than cheese.

Back